LibriVox Community Podcast Planning

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

"The horror writer whose name begins with L" is H.P. Lovecraft.

I would be glad to contribute. I know of a few cases where it would be legal for me to record something under the EU copyright law, but it isn't legal do to it under the US'. I'm sure most volunteers here can come up with plenty of such examples. That is why "Legamus" came into being in the first place :wink: We could also mention some paradoxes that such a situation can lead to-especially given that thanks to the Internet such works, if uploaded, are available to ayone, yet no anyone is legally permitted to use them :roll:

Not to mention the usual rant about the length of copyright protection :lol:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Maybe that's where I got the initial idea - from Ruthie, and it's been brewing in my brain. :lol:

I'll work on it a bit, no pressure, no deadline. And if Ruthie wants to help, she's welcome to it.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

When my current bilingual Rubaiyat project (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37977) is completed I would like to host a podcast on the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.

I would also be interested into contributing to a "Me and My Microphone" project

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by RuthieG »

I have 1200 words about it, starting with:

A fantastical bird is the copyright.
He flies on such flexible wings.
His length is a mystery to ordinary folk
And is different wherever he sings.

(with apologies to this gent)

But I haven't got around to doing the podcast yet.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Are there going to be any new podcast installments in the near future?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes.

I had PM'd Bob because I hadn't seen him in a while, and wanted to make sure he was OK. Part of his response:

Fear not! I am well and thriving, just very, very busy with end of semester commitments at my university. I will be back on the forums and recording a few Algy projects in a week or so.

Also, I have a few backlogs of interviews for the Pioneer Days podcast(s) to work on and all my research on LibriVox as well.

So he has at least the Pioneer Days podcast (possibly more than one) in the works.

However, keep in mind that anyone can make a podcast, so we don't have to wait for Bob. ;)
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Upcoming podcasts now scheduled in the wiki:

01 June 2012 - LibriVox: The Pioneer Days Part 1
05 June 2012 - LibriVox: The Pioneer Days Part 2
01 July 2012 - LibriVox: The Pioneer Days Part 3
15 July 2012 - LibriVox: The Pioneer Days Part 4
10 Aug 2012 - LibriVox 7th Anniversary

I have a lot of audio on the Pioneer days and even with editing it will fill four podcasts of between 30 and 45 minutes. And, if not, I'll reschedule. :D If anyone would like to contribute any other material, like stats or promos or anything else, just upload to Cori's (or your own, if you are an admin) folder and post here or PM me. If anyone had any plans for podcasts in between these that I have scheduled, please post here or PM me and I will reschedule to include your podcast. Otherwise, we'll go with this schedule, if there is no objection.

I am happy to host the 7th anniversary podcast and I hope to have some great submissions about LibriVox's 2011-2012 year. If someone who knows could perhaps speak about the grant we received (maybe Hugh?), that would be lovely. Of course, we should have some statistical report. What about a word from newly appointed admins, of which I can only think of Phil Chenevert? Also, I think one of our veteran admins should prepare memorial reminisces for the LibriVox voices we lost since last year (Maybe Ruth?). Any other ideas? Please post here. And if someone else really wants to host, please let me know.

Bob
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Hi Bob

When the current outstanding Rubaiyat project (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37977) is completed I would like to host a Rubaiyat podcast. I would be inviting contributions from all those great readers who have participated in the various Rubaiyat projects, and would also welcome any musings or commentary from more erudite members like Len and Martin.
However, I do want to wait until the bilingual Persian/English project is finished.

My grand plan is to have all the public domain versions recorded on Librivox eventually. So far we have only scraped the surface.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by bobgon55 »

Absolutely, Algy! If you are ready to release your podcast any time before August 10, I will just shuffle to schedule to slot you in.

I applaud your ambitious project of recording all public domain versions. I know we already have several. How many are there?

Bob
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

bobgon55 wrote:Absolutely, Algy! If you are ready to release your podcast any time before August 10, I will just shuffle to schedule to slot you in.

I applaud your ambitious project of recording all public domain versions. I know we already have several. How many are there?

Bob
Hi Bob

In the current catalogue we have the following:
Fitzgerald - First Edition - three recordings
Fitgerald - Second, Third and Fourth Editions - one recording
Fitzgerald - Fifth Edition - two recordings

Other translations
Jessica Rittenhouse
Jessie Cadell
Elizabeth Curtis
Whitley Stokes
Hammer von Purgsall (German)
Friedrich Rueckert (German)
Charles G. Blanden (Omar Resung)

The following short translations have been done as weekly poetry projects:
Henry George Keene
Sir William Jones

The bilingual edition (Persian/English) by Edward Whinfield (500 quatrains) is currently being recorded.

That leaves the following public domain English translations which have not yet been recorded for Librivox:
John Leslie Garner
Richard Le Gallienne
Edward Heron-Allen
Justin McCarthy
Baron Corvo
G. Roe
E. F Thompson

When the Whinfield project is completed I am considering setting up a group recording of the Thompson translation, which is probably the most comprehensive collection (878 quatrains.)

There are also public domain translations in French, German, Dutch, Italian and Spanish.

Cheers

Algy
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by bobgon55 »

LibriVox Community Podcast #126
Friday, June 1, 2012
LibriVox: The Pioneer Days – Part 1
This is a four-part series featuring interviews with and contributions from members of LibriVox in the early days talking about … the early days.

Host: Bob Gonzalez (bobgon55)

Featuring the voices of Hugh McGuire, Kristen McQuillin, Kara Shallenberg, Mark Bradford (Squiddhartha), Chris Vee, Annie Coleman (LibraryLady), Gesine, and kri.

Listen to the LibriVox Community Podcast #126

Duration: 31:48

Hugh McGuire – Librivox Background and Manifesto 0:00
Bob Gonzalez Intro 01:56
Hugh McGuire – The first recording 02:56
Hugh McGuire – Clips from interview on The Writing Show August 23, 2005 06:11

Clips from LibriVox First Anniversary Show 08:16

Kristen McQuillin 09:00
Kara Shallenberg 10:17
Mark Bradford (Squiddhartha) 11:24
Chris Vee 11:49
Annie Coleman 12:38
Gesine 13:45

Contributions especially for this podcast:

Kri 15:40 (contribution from Dec 23, 2011)
Kara Shallenberg Interview 18:55 (contributed Jan 5, 2012)

Link for LibriVox Book Podcast http://librivox.org/podcast.xml

Upcoming podcasts:
June 15 - LibriVox: The Pioneer Days – Part 2 - featuring Sean McGaughey, ductapeguy interview from Feb 29, 2012
July 1 - LibriVox: The Pioneer Days – Part 3 - Featuring Gesine interview from March 7, 2012
July 15 - LibriVox: The Pioneer Days – Part 4 - featuring Hugh McGuire interview from Feb 27, 2012
Aug 10 – LibriVox 7th Anniversary Podcast

I am interested in whatever feedback - positive or constructively critical - anyone has about this first podcast of the series. You may also contribute statistics, comments, and promos to be added to the next three, which have the featured interviews already set.

Cheers,
Bob
Last edited by bobgon55 on May 31st, 2012, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I've just finished listening to the podcast. Great job :clap:
I don't have any specific remarks and questions at the moment, aside from "keep putting together great podcasts". And, of course, I can't wait to listen to part 2.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Umm, out of curiosity, shouldn't we not download the link until it's on Archive? We're using up server bandwidth when downloading from the uploader.

I don't know how many people follow this thread, but if we get a lot of people downloading from the uploader to listen for pleasure, it could cause problems down the road.

Perhaps the announcement of the new podcast shouldn't be made until it's on Archive?

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I just thought of this.
Cori

Post by Cori »

I swap the links in these posts over to the archive.org link once I've uploaded, Tricia ... as far as I know there's only ever a few downloads from the server since Bob pings me as soon as the file is ready, and there's seldom a long turnaround time. I've kinda seen it as a perk for dedicated podcast listeners.

Not quite how we normally do things, but I think this is kinda different to ongoing projects.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK. I withdraw my objection. 8-)