The Bible's Author in the Catalog

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?

What should the authorship of The Bible be in the catalog?

God
13%
Various
58%
No Author Listed
17%
Unknown
13%

Total votes: 24

Xander

Post by Xander »

I don't want to offend anyone but I have to defend my faith. I am a Christian (I know that not everyone is) and believe that the Bible is the holy, inspired word of God. Is it possible to have the authorship of The Bible changed from "Anonymous" in the catalog to "God" or "The Lord?" I am just defending what I find right. What are your thoughts??? :hmm:
-Xander

"Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur."

www.zamws.com
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

As a Librarian (my religious beliefs aside... though some would argue that Librarianism is a religion of it's own =), I'm not comfortable with citing God as the author, however, Anonymous isn't correct either... Unknown would be more accurate... though, it's not at all necessary for us to have an author name listed in our catalog ... it can be sorted by the Title...

Thanks for pointing this out and voiceing your feelings on this topic =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Xander

Post by Xander »

I would be comfortable with a simple removal of the author. There were numerous people who actually wrote down the books anyway. Be the words from divine inspiration or otherwise ...
-Xander

www.zamws.com
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Removal of author sounds like a good compromise... we also have to keep in mind that we're really just reading translations of God's word .... and we don't always know who the original translator was =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

What about listing it as "multiple"?

Or since we have mostly listed individual books from the canon, why not simply listing the author of the specific book?
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
kri

Post by kri »

Caeristhiona wrote:What about listing it as "multiple"?

Or since we have mostly listed individual books from the canon, why not simply listing the author of the specific book?
The problem with that is that you cannot proof who wrote the various pieces. It's all theory at this point. I had a class on The World of the Old Testament, and we read a book called "Who Wrote the Bible" among others that discussed this issue. Obviously the perspective was from that of a historian, and would be different from say, a follower of the Bible, or any other group of people.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

kri wrote:The problem with that is that you cannot proof who wrote the various pieces. It's all theory at this point. I had a class on The World of the Old Testament, and we read a book called "Who Wrote the Bible" among others that discussed this issue. Obviously the perspective was from that of a historian, and would be different from say, a follower of the Bible, or any other group of people.
Okay, I can see where you are coming from... But it wouldn't be fair to say "Anonymous" either, just because most of the books aren't anonymous in the truest sense of the word.

That's why, if we are listing the Bible together, I would have to go with "Multiple Authors," or "Collaborative," or something like that.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Xander

Post by Xander »

A listing of Various would work as well. I still personally think that God should be used, but the best compromise seems to lie with the absence of an author notation.
-Xander

www.zamws.com
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

In theory, I have to agree with you -- but in practice it just gets too theologically complicated. :)

BTW, I cannot tell you how tempted I was to post this response in linguam Latinam after seeing your signature.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

how is it listed in the Library of Congress? ... I think we do whatever standard library practice is ... but I leave it to people who know about these things (who have already weighed in here).
Xander

Post by Xander »

Caeristhiona wrote:In theory, I have to agree with you -- but in practice it just gets too theologically complicated. :)

BTW, I cannot tell you how tempted I was to post this response in linguam Latinam after seeing your signature.
Couldn't have said it better. The sig line is all the Latin I know. I would be delighted to learn more in the future though.

Hugh's idea about the Library of Congress sounds good.
-Xander

www.zamws.com
kri

Post by kri »

Caeristhiona wrote:Okay, I can see where you are coming from... But it wouldn't be fair to say "Anonymous" either, just because most of the books aren't anonymous in the truest sense of the word.

That's why, if we are listing the Bible together, I would have to go with "Multiple Authors," or "Collaborative," or something like that.
Oh, I didn't state what I thought it should or shouldn't be.

However, I will state here that I strongly believe that "God" or "the Lord" should absolutely not be the author attributed.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

kri wrote:However, I will state here that I strongly believe that "God" or "the Lord" should absolutely not be the author attributed.
Which is precisely why we're discussing this. :) If we're going to abide by American copyright laws and such, we might as well have freedom of religion and speech here on LibriVox.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

As a fellow Christian, I want to weigh in here too. I personaly believe God is the author. Having said that, I would prefer using something like "various" rather than anonymous as well. :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I'd say "unknown" if it was up for voting.

(I don't believe in the religion that stems from the bible and see it as a collection of writings of cunning, mostly unknown authors who knew how to make society work in a half acceptable way.)

The compromise to remove author is peaceful and good, imho.
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]