Multilingual Projects Podcast - Coming Soon

Non-reading activities need your help too!
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Hello Everyone,

I would like to put together a podcast centered on multilingual performing on LibriVox. I would especially like to feature volunteers who perform and/or in two or more languages. I have a few questions to serve as a springboard. Don't feel constrained by them; you may say anything you like about multilingual recording on LibriVox.

Which languages do you speak?
In which languages are you fluent?
In which languages have you recorded sections for LibriVox?
What projects have you recorded in a language other than English?
Do you feel intimidated about recording in any of the languages you speak?
Can you record in a language in which you are not fluent? (I can record Spanish but not converse in it.)
What are the biggest joys and challenges about recording and/or BCing a project in a language other than your native one?
What motivates you to record in languages other than English?

Anyway, these are a start. Improvise and extemporize as you will.

I would like to have this podcast ready for mid-February but would like to know how many are interested in contributing first. If you are, please PM me or post in the LibriVox Community Podcast Planning thread in Volunteers Wanted: Other Projects. And please spread the word to any multilingual volunteers whom I have missed!

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Bob
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Here are my answers to some of your questions. As you can see I don't exactly qualify for the inclusion in the podcast for the time being (in the sense that I'm not reading in many languages), but I can record something for the podcast, nevertheless, if you feel it would be an interesting contribution.
Which languages do you speak?
Native: Polish, apart from that: English, Spanish and Italian
In which languages are you fluent?
Depends on a day. There are days when I can't string 2 correct sentences together even in Polish :roll: Overall, I'd say English and then, on good days, Spanish and Italian (depends mostly on a subject).
In which languages have you recorded sections for LibriVox?
Mostly in Polish, one section in English.
What projects have you recorded in a language other than English?
As of Feb 25, a nearly completed collection of short stories, one indovidual short story, and a handful of poems. All in Polish.
Do you feel intimidated about recording in any of the languages you speak?
I don't know if "intimidated" is a good word here, but given how wildly unpredictable the English pronounciation is, I prefer to stay away from recording in that language for fear for butchering it or al least making it sound "weird". Not to mention that there thousands of voluntters here who can read in that lenguage in a much natural and comfortable way, as they speak it natively. Spanish and Italian are more straightforward in this respect, so I may try these one day, but even then just as an experiment.
Can you record in a language in which you are not fluent? (I can record Spanish but not converse in it.)
If I know how to pronouce it, I can try and record something in it. I can always look the words up in a dictionary.
What are the biggest joys and challenges about recording and/or BCing a project in a language other than your native one?
I've read 2 sections in English so far and the biggest pain has been checking the pronounciation of unknown words.
What motivates you to record in languages other than English?
What motivates me to record in Polish is the scarcity of materials we have in that language in our catalogue.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi Bob

I am aiming at posting my contribution by Friday (10th). I know roughly what I want to say and will be doing 3 short segments, as I did in the first Poetry podcast. Hope this suits.

All the best
Martin
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Martin,

Absolutely fine. I've got a deadline of Feb 15, but earlier is always, always welcome.

Thanks for your interest and support. I'm looking forward to hearing your segment.

Bob
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi Bob

Here are my three segments, as promised:

1) (haphazard acquisition of certain languages in youth)
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/multilingualpodcast_mg_part1.mp3
Duration - 05:34

2) (strange motivation to record multilingually for LV)
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/multilingualpodcast_mg_part2.mp3
Duration - 03:23

3) (being sampled by a musician, and the continuing language-averseness of the British)
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/multilingualpodcast_mg_part3.mp3
Duration - 03:21

Hope you can use these.

Best regards
Martin
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

I'm planning to release this podcast no later than Feb 19th and perhaps a few days sooner, if possible.

I already have some wonderful contributions from Lars, Leni, Martin Geeson (no sneaking a listen, please! :D ), Kristin, and one on the way from Nadine. If you are planning to make a contribution, may I ask that you please post here or PM me to let me know one is on the way? That would really help my planning.

Based on what has already been contributed, this is going to be a great show!

Thanks, everybody!

Bob
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

I am splitting this podcast into two separate podcasts, averaging 30-35 minutes each (so far!). Part 1 will be released no later than Sunday, Feb 19 and part 2 will be released the following Sunday, Feb 26.

Thanks to all who contributed. If any still want to contribute a short segment, get them to me as soon as you can. I may be able to fit one or more into this coming Sunday's podcast or if not then, and if you get them to me in time, the following Sunday.

Cheers,
Bob
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Hello All LibriVox volunteers who speak non-English languages!

I want to ask a small favor of all of you. I would like you to send me a recording of you saying "goodbye" or "farewell" or the equivalent in the non-English language(s) you speak that I will edit into a farewell collage and tag at the end of one or both podcasts. If you have a variety of ways of saying "goodbye," please send all those versions. English speakers, please send farewells, too, the more and the more varied your farewells (cheerio, ta-TA, 'bye, later, see ya, etc.) the better. This would be so much better than me saying goodbye in as many languages as I could pronounce, don't you think?

(Martin, would you be able to rustle up some farewells in ancient Greek, Latin, and more obscure languages? I think it would be fun. Are there some nonsense or bogus farewells, too?)

I would like to have them asap, as I will be finishing the podcast on Saturday night, Feb 18. Upload to Cori's cs folder and either PM me or post here.

Thanks! I hope to get lots and make it a fun ending.

Bob
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

LibriVox Community Podcast #124
For Sunday, February 19, 2012
Multilingual Performances Part One of a Two-Part Series

Hosted by Bob Gonzalez (bobgon55)

With contributions from TriciaG, Karen Savage, Lars Rolander, Leni, Martin Geeson, and Kristin G

Listen to the LibriVox Community Podcast #124

Duration: 29m 17s

Teaser & Introduction 0:00
TriciaG with non-English language catalog statistics 2:06
Karen Savage 3:22
Lars Rolander 5:49
Leni 12:16
Martin Geeson 18:39
Kristin 24:12
Outro 27:50

Part Two of this two-part series on multilingual performances, LibriVox Community Podcast #125, will introduce new segments from Piotrek81 (with support from Algy Pug) and Nadine Eckert-Boulet. Plus more reflections from Leni and Martin Geeson, and a taste of performances from Leni’s multilingual project of Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Raven.” Look for it next Sunday, February 26, 2012.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I've just listened to it, and it rocks :thumbs:

Here are some loose thoughts of mine....

It's a pity, that, as Leni mentioned, people register and then soon after leave having recorded just one section or so...

And I just dread to think how may languages Martin can read :shock:

It occured to me when I was listening to the TriciaG's report on multilingual project statistics that it would be good to mention that there are recordings (however brief) in some languges which aren't specified in the catalogue. It was mentioned in the thread about statistics.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Piotrek81 wrote:I've just listened to it, and it rocks :thumbs:
Thank you, Piotrek. Wait until you hear yourself in #125. :D
Piotrek81 wrote: it would be good to mention that there are recordings (however brief) in some languges which aren't specified in the catalogue. It was mentioned in the thread about statistics.
Good idea. I will look to see if I can find the post.

Thanks again for listening and I'm glad you liked it.

Bob
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I think you will find that many of the more "exotic" languages are solely represented in the "declaration of Human Rights" projects - which aimed to get as many different languages as possible.
I think I would be a bit disappointed if I arrived at the site because we claimed to have books recorded in one of them to find I could have the declaration of Human Rights :D

Anne
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

:clap:
Finally got around to listening while scoring my screen (no, you don't want to know what this is about, and if I told you I'd have to kill you :wink:) and it sure made it much more enjoyable!

Ah, for more French-speaking readers...
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Thanks so much, Nadine. So glad you liked it. Wait until you here the next one where you are featured.

I had lots of fund with the collages on this one and the next one - the LV disclaimer at the front and the goodbyes at the end. I have a real special one all ready for the next podcast, due out next Sunday. I've actually got it all "in the can" already. But I could plug a few more segments in if anyone sends them to me.

Thanks again for contributing so much!

Bob