Dramatic Reading Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

How about something by James Shirley? The Lady of Pleasure is supposed to be his funniest comedy

All of his stuff seems to be available on googlebooks, although that isn't the most convenient place to read plays from.
So little space, so much to say.
NHiggins33

Post by NHiggins33 »

Stupid Question here, but could one adapt a public domain novel for a dramatization, or does the dramatization have to be written already?

- Nathanial W.C. Higgins
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

NHiggins33 wrote:Stupid Question here, but could one adapt a public domain novel for a dramatization, or does the dramatization have to be written already?

- Nathanial W.C. Higgins
Actually, dramatizations don't necessarily have to be derived from plays; there are plenty of people here adapting novels with a full cast of actors.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

NOT a stupid question!

Many authors write/wrote a lot of their action as decent and realistic dialog, so we do NOT adapt novels to make them into dramatic readings. We just use different readers/voices for the characters and then speak the words as the author already wrote them. A narrator role handles all the "he saids" and "she saids" as well as the non-dialog text in the book.

Thanks, Todd
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Just a slight word of caution to prospective new Dramatic Works BC's -- new blood is wonderful :) but it is very trying and quite difficult to take over a dramatic works project whose original BC has had to quit. (Speaking from experience.) Sometimes BCs have to give up projects because of real-life obligations, sometimes they just disappear and we never know why; but either way it leaves a huge amount of work for someone else to have to take on. That is the number one reason projects can hang on for years. So new people are very welcome, but please do take part in several projects yourself first so you will know what you are getting into, and be sure you can take care of your project daily (or at least several days per week) for a very, very long time, like a year for the bigger ones.

Also, just a plea from the peanut gallery (because I have very little recording time nowadays so I am not down in this forum much) -- I am speaking for myself now and not as an admin -- it makes me a little sad to see plays posted with all the best roles already taken, so do consider running them the old-fashioned way (open for all comers) instead of pre-casting roles by PM, so that everyone will have the same chance. Thank you. :wink:
Laurie Anne
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Just to add on to the above--try editing something together before you launch your first drama as BC. Do a one-act in one of the collections or volunteer to take an act from another BC. (They will love you for it!) You really, really do not want to find you hate editing five minutes into your first project, with another ten hours or more to go. IMHO, it's very unfair to readers to have projects languish in the editing stage for months after all roles have been turned in.
linny

Post by linny »

I couldn't agree more with these suggestions. I was fortunate enough to edit a dramatic before I BCed one and I still didn't realize how much more time it takes over a regular project. My first one took me 4 months to edit after all the roles were in and I felt horrible about it. Now I keep track a different way and edit as all the roles for the act/chapter are in. That seems to work well for me, however it's important to realize what a time sink editing can be. They sure are fun though. I'm very glad we do them.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

linny wrote:INow I keep track a different way and edit as all the roles for the act/chapter are in. That seems to work well for me, however it's important to realize what a time sink editing can be. .
Maybe you could list what you do and it could go in the Wiki or somewhere as help for someone else

Anne
johngon

Post by johngon »

linny wrote:Now I keep track a different way and edit as all the roles for the act/chapter are in. That seems to work well for me, however it's important to realize what a time sink editing can be.
This is exactly how I would tackle it as a director - scene by scene, act by act in order of dialogue. That helps any glaring mistakes such as a missing line, etc. I know when this whole concept of dramatic works started, I took over a blindingly huge concept (all of Shakespeare's histories) with the same cast, etc... talk about shooting for the moon. Of course, right after we got Richard II done, my life proceeded to collapse and I'm only just now making it back into the Librivox world.

I dig the dramatic readings Librivox is doing of novels... it's a cool concept and I look forward to diving into those as soon as I finish Tristram Shandy and the next play I have my eyes on... that one I'll definitely want to take over as a BC at least, in addition to reading.

J
gahnzz.com - my little home on the vast interwebs
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Of course, right after we got Richard II done, my life proceeded to collapse and I'm only just now making it back into the Librivox world.
Yup, life's like that. A little before it was done, I think. ;) Unfortunately, if you have undertaken something huge and it is part done, someone else has to take it over - hence admins being somewhat risk-averse when they see huge enthusiasm (which we love), coupled with inexperience (which we all go through) AND some grand scheme, which we know will take considerable long-term dedication to complete.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
johngon

Post by johngon »

Point taken... that's the funny thing about recollection... you always cast yourself in the best light :) I hope to earn back some of that cred now that my life is back to where it should be...

So, instead of tackling 5 projects at once... we'll keep it simple. Of course, maybe doing a solo read of Tristram Shandy isn't quite simple, but you get what I mean!
gahnzz.com - my little home on the vast interwebs
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Maybe not - but at least with a Solo if things happen and you disappear without a word , some one else's readings are not being wasted.

Anne
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

gloriana wrote:
wildemoose wrote:Wow, is Pericles still the only non-disputed Shakespeare left to do? After Merry Wives is finished and Coriolanus and Timon are off to good starts, maybe in a month or so, I'll go ahead and post it.
I think it is - apart from Two Noble Kinsmen, which unfortunately isn't on Open Source Shakespeare. The PG text of that play looks not-so-great, so it may need a new text prepared. I'd be happy if you decide to go ahead and BC Pericles, though! :)
I found an 1895 edition of Two Noble Kinsmen on archive.org which has at least modernized the archaic spellings of the PG text:

http://www.archive.org/details/twonoblekinsmen01shakgoog

It would still need a little work, like going through the text and figuring out which characters are actually speaking roles, etc. I'm a little too busy for it now but I should be able to pick it up in a couple of months if no one gets there first. :)

Done - https://librivox.org/the-two-noble-kinsmen-by-william-shakespeare-and-john-fletcher/
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Looks good! Much better than the Gutenberg version. It's all yours, as far as I'm concerned. :)
linny

Post by linny »

annise wrote:
linny wrote:INow I keep track a different way and edit as all the roles for the act/chapter are in. That seems to work well for me, however it's important to realize what a time sink editing can be. .
Maybe you could list what you do and it could go in the Wiki or somewhere as help for someone else

Anne
I have this already posted however I'll put together some screenshots if you think it will be helpful. Do we have a wiki for editing dramatics?
viewtopic.php?p=689607#p689607