LibriVox Book Club: Schedule and Suggestions NEW THREAD

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

This is a new thread for the LibriVox Book Club. The LibriVox Book Club runs monthly, starting on or around the first Sunday of the month. Each month a LibriVox audiobook is chosen and you have four weeks to listen to the book and then post your thoughts in the discussion thread. Each book will have it's own thread, simply click on the name in the schedule. Some books may run longer than one month, due to the lenght of the book.

You don’t have to join in every month, just scan the schedule for something that interests you and join in those months. If you don't see anything that appeals to you, suggest something that does!

Feel free to suggest books for the schedule. Go here to see what has allready been read.

Schedule:

september-oktober: Gruach by Gordon Bottomley

Books allready read

-March: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnet Thread
March-April: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure by John Cleland. Thread
April-June: Jezebel's Daughter by Wilkie CollinsThread
June-July: South! The Story of Shackleton’s Last Expedition 1914-1917 by Ernest Shackleton Thread
Last edited by Kristingj on August 9th, 2012, 11:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Excellent - I look forward to discussing some of these books with you.
So little space, so much to say.
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Oh much cleaner now! Very much looking forward to this!
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

I'd like to suggest South! The Story of Shackleton's Last Expedition, 1914-1917 by Ernest Shackleton (nonfiction, adventure; 15.5 hrs).

It's a story of the determined and heroic struggle for survival after the HMS Endurance got caught and crushed in the pack ice off of Antarctic waters, including an open boat journey from Elephant Island to South Georgia Island that is one of the most remarkable feats of navigation ever achieved. I'm a big fan of real life sea stories, and this one is an excellent read. I find the group reading perfectly adequate and enjoyable. :)

http://librivox.org/south-by-ernest-shackleton/
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Nullifidian wrote:I'd like to suggest South! The Story of Shackleton's Last Expedition, 1914-1917 by Ernest Shackleton (nonfiction, adventure; 15.5 hrs).

It's a story of the determined and heroic struggle for survival after the HMS Endurance got caught and crushed in the pack ice off of Antarctic waters, including an open boat journey from Elephant Island to South Georgia Island that is one of the most remarkable feats of navigation ever achieved. I'm a big fan of real life sea stories, and this one is an excellent read. I find the group reading perfectly adequate and enjoyable. :)

http://librivox.org/south-by-ernest-shackleton/
Sounds good, we need some real life stories in here too :D
Kristin

Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

A new thread is up for the next book:)
Kristin

jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Are we reading Jezebel's Daughter now?
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

jollyrogered wrote:Are we reading Jezebel's Daughter now?
Oh my God! I kept thinking two months... so sorry, yes, we are reading Jezebel's Daughter, but as I have been sloppy, we are prolonging it until the first sunday of june.
New thread up any minute
Kristin

jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Works for me :) I love Wilkie Collins!
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

The Thread for South! The Story of Shackleton’s Last Expedition 1914-1917 by Ernest Shackleton is posted:)
Kristin

catrose

Post by catrose »

Is there a book for this month yet? Are you still open to suggestions?
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

catrose wrote:Is there a book for this month yet? Are you still open to suggestions?
Hi, there is no book yet, and as I have been on a vacation where there was no internet, I couldn't start a new one. Always open to suggestions, I'll set up a new one tomorrow:)
Kristin

catrose

Post by catrose »

Kristingj wrote:
catrose wrote:Is there a book for this month yet? Are you still open to suggestions?
Hi, there is no book yet, and as I have been on a vacation where there was no internet, I couldn't start a new one. Always open to suggestions, I'll set up a new one tomorrow:)
Brilliant! Hope you had a good vacation :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
catrose

Post by catrose »

Can I suggest Gruach? Sorry, I can't remember who wrote it. It's the prequal to Macbeth. :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

catrose wrote:Can I suggest Gruach? Sorry, I can't remember who wrote it. It's the prequal to Macbeth. :)
Yup:) I decided that I would "pause" this during summer vacation, so that's a good start in september:)
Kristin