~ Bilingual - Poetry - Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam - ks

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

This project is complete. All associated files can be found on the catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-rubaiyat-of-omar-khayyam-version-2-by-omar-khayyam/

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam by Omar Khayyam (1048 - 1131). Translated by Edward Whinfield (1836-1922).
Omar Khayyám (1048–1131) was a Persian poet, mathematician and astronomer. In the Western world he is most famous for his many rubáiyát (quatrains), a four line rhyming stanza, which were popularized in an extensively reworked collection in English by Edward Fitzgerald, the first edition of which appeared in 1859.

However, Fitzgerald was neither the first nor the most scholarly of the translators of Omar Khayyam’s rubáiyát. As well as translating the poems of Hafez and Rumi, Edward Henry Whinfield (1836-1922) also produced a much more extensive English version of the rubáiyát. In 1883 he published a bilingual edition of 500 quatrains, in which the Persian original is presented side by side with the English translation.

This is a bilingual recording. Each quatrain will be read first in Persian and then in English translation. While listeners unfamiliar with the Persian language will not able to appreciate the meaning of the quatrains in their original form, everyone can at least enjoy the musicality of Omar’s verse, which Whinfield often succeeds in capturing. (Summary by Algy Pug)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    All sections in this project have already been allocated, as follows:

All quatrains in Persian - Mostafa

English text
    Introduction - Algy Pug
    Quatrains 1 - 101 - Noel Badrian
    Quatrains 102 - 200 - Darvinia
    Quatrains 201 - 302 - ref
    Quatrains 303 - 401 - Dublin Gothic
    Quatrains 402 - 500 - Cleogirl
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 31 July 2012.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.archive.org/details/quatrains1883omaruoft

For the convenience of readers and proof listeners, the text has been broken up as follows:
    Introduction:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?fxq9ct4ho7h8n9b

Quatrains 1 - 101:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?j1qa23hg89e444t

Quatrains 102 - 200:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?nf67m6i40pdevdl

Quatrains 201 - 302:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?rwufm2mmfoam6or

Quatrains 303 - 401:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?bajdslv4cm3ujh6

Quatrains 402 - 500:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?2c5mju2sc0dtxls

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Word Perfect

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ======================================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and readers (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

BC - please provide *all of* the following:
    [list]
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 16
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    [*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khayy%C3%A1m
    [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubaiyat_of_Omar_Khayyam
    [*]Short description (please state who wrote the description. This can be a paragraph copied from Wikipedia. If you write this yourself, please be aware that your summary will be in the PD):
    [*]Date of first publication: 1883
    [*]Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is death of author plus 50 or 70 years) 1922
=======================================================[/size]

[*]BEFORE recording:
Please check the Recording Notes:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

[*]DURING recording:
Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
Start of recording (Intro)
  • "The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyam, by Omar Khayyam, translated into English by Edward Whinfield. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please contact Librivox. org
  • Say:
    "The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyam, by Omar Khayyam, translated into English by Edward Whinfield. Section (number) - Section title.
  • For the introduction, then say:
    Introduction read by Algy Pug
  • For all subsequent sections, say:
    Quatrains in Persian read by (name of reader). English translation read by (name of reader)."
End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    End of Section (number) - Section title."
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of the Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyam, by Omar Khayyam, translated into English by Edward Whinfield."
N.B. All intros and outros are to be read in both languages, the Persian being read first.

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

After reading each quatrain Mostafa will leave a short pause and then state the number of the quatrain in English. Therefore the readers in English need only read the text of each quatrain and not the number. All readers are asked to leave a short gap between each quatrain to make the editing easier.

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

[*]AFTER recording:
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
128 kbps MP3
rubaiyat_#_khayyam_whinfield_language.mp3 (all lower-case) where # is your section number. (e.g. rubaiyat_1_khayyam_whinfield_english.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: # - [Section title] - [Language]
Artist: Omar Khayyam, translated by Edward Whinfield
Album: The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ks - gypsygirl
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Algy Pug on March 4th, 2012, 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by gypsygirl »

I'll MC this. Back shortly with the MW.
Karen S.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

OK, all set. I've put you a section 0 for the introduction, but if it's going to be read in both languages as well, it would be better to start at 01 instead. Let me know how you need it.
Karen S.
Cleogirl

Post by Cleogirl »

Good day! I've not looked at how the sections are cut up, but I just want to formalize my request to claim quatrains 402-500.

I'm looking forward to this!

Cheers
Cleogirl
ref

Post by ref »

I'm in too, for 201-302.
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Reporting for duty! Sir!
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
mostafa

Post by mostafa »

Okay, let's do this. I'm gonna make you proud, Omar! :)
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hi,
1 - 101: All mine! Scary...
Raring to go tho.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Thank you everyone

I think we are all set.

If the readers of the English sections have any questions about pronunciations of Persian words or names please ask Mostafa.

Any visitors to the thread who would like to act as DPL (English and/or Persian) please do not hesitate to apply.

Let's get this show on the road.

Cheers

Algy
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by NoelBadrian »

:help:

I am a little mixed up with Section(s) - Is this correct for Intro/Outro and ID3 Tag? or is the "Section 1" part of the Title superfluous?
Also - Do I have to include the "Quatrains in Persian read by Mostafa" bit?
Noel

Start of recording (Intro)
"The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyam, by Omar Khayyam, translated into English by Edward Whinfield. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please contact Librivox. org
The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyam, by Omar Khayyam, translated into English by Edward Whinfield. Section seven - Section 1: Quatrains 1 - 101 – English
Quatrains in Persian read by Mostafa . English translation read by Noel Badrian."

End of recording
“End of Section seven. - Section 1: Quatrains 1 - 101 – English "

ID3 V2 tags

Title: 07 - Section 1: Quatrains 1 - 101 – English
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Thank you for the query Noel.

Your section is number 1, not number 7. I have set up the extra sections 6 - 15 because two separate recordings of each group of quatrains, one in English and one in Persian, will be made. Hence your reading of the English and Mostafa's reading of the Persian will both be Section 1. When I edit the project, the Persian and English readings will be combined, so that the recording in the catalogue will have just six sections.

Therefore you should read "Section 1" twice - once at the beginning and once at the end.

Hope this makes things clearer.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by NoelBadrian »

Um.. My name is against Section 07 in the MW above. Do I use that number for anything - the file name and ID3 tag perhaps? Sorry if I'm a bit slow on the uptake here.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

NoelBadrian wrote:Um.. My name is against Section 07 in the MW above. Do I use that number for anything - the file name and ID3 tag perhaps? Sorry if I'm a bit slow on the uptake here.
Noel
Section 7 (and the rest of the higher numbered sections) is a placeholder. Once the project is complete, there will only be sections 00 - 06. But until then, there needs to be a place to keep track of readers' files.
Karen S.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

gypsygirl wrote:
NoelBadrian wrote:Um.. My name is against Section 07 in the MW above. Do I use that number for anything - the file name and ID3 tag perhaps? Sorry if I'm a bit slow on the uptake here.
Noel
Section 7 (and the rest of the higher numbered sections) is a placeholder. Once the project is complete, there will only be sections 00 - 06. But until then, there needs to be a place to keep track of readers' files.
Thanks Karen

You managed to answer Noel's question with about a quarter of the words I used. One day, I must really learn to speak (and write) English properly.

Cheers

Algy
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by NoelBadrian »

Thanks Karen and Algy, sorry about the confusion!
Noel
Noel's Recordings