COMPLETE:Incidents of Travel in Central America - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

http://librivox.org/incidents-of-travel-in-central-america-chiapas-and-yucatan-vol-1-by-john-lloyd-stephens/

Incidents of Travel in Central America, Chiapas, and Yucatan, Volume 1, by John Lloyd Stephens (1805 - 1852) .
The year is 1838. The scene is the dense Honduran forest along the Copán River. Two men, John Lloyd Stephens and Frederick Catherwood, are about to rediscover Mayan civilization. Their guide, slashing through the rampant growth with his machete, leads them to a structure with steps up the side, shaped like a pyramid. Next they see a stone column, fourteen feet high, sculptured on the front with a portrait of a man, “solemn, stern and well fitted to excite terror,” covered on the sides with hieroglyphics, and with workmanship “equal to the finest monuments of the Egyptians.” Stephens records these discoveries and also his travels in Central America, where he had been sent by President Van Buren as special ambassador to the ill-fated Republic of Central America. The republic being engulfed in civil war when Stephens arrives in Guatemala, he finds himself dodging revolutionary armies while he hunts for a “legitimate government” to which to present his credentials. Catherwood, meanwhile, directs his immense artistic talent to illustrating views of Mayan architecture. Incidents of Travel in Central America, Chiapas and Yucatan was a best seller in its day and has been called an “Indiana Jones” saga by modern reviewers. (Summary by Sue Anderson)

• Target completion date: 2012-Dec-31
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.archive.org/details/incidentstravel01cathgoog, http://www.archive.org/details/incidentsoftrave02stepuoft
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project:
    adventure, art, history, travel
    Keywords that describe the book:
    Indians of Mexico -- Antiquities; Mayas -- Antiquities; Central America -- Description and travel; Chiapas (Mexico) -- Description and travel; Yucatán (Mexico : State) -- Description and travel Stephens, John Lloyd, 1805-1852;
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Incidents of Travel in Central America, Chiapas, and Yucatan.Volume 1 - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Incidents of Travel in Central America, Chiapas, and Yucatan, by John Lloyd Stephens . [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Incidents of Travel in Central America, Chiapas, and Yucatan by John Lloyd Stephens . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Incidents of Travel in Central America, Chiapas, and Yucatan by John Lloyd Stephens . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    incidentsoftravelincentralamericavol1_##_stephens.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: John Lloyd Stephens
    Album: Incidents of Travel in Central America, Chiapas, and Yucatan
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: jo - knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by Sue Anderson on January 28th, 2012, 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Sue. I'm back to MC for you again. :) Let's do two separate projects for the two volumes if for no better reason than to keep the zip file a manageable size. MW will be available shortly.
Jo
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Sue,

I'd love to DPL this for you, and the second volume as well. If it's okay with you.

Hugh
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Ah . . . I came back from our local library where I'm taking what you'd have to call an "adult literacy" computer class to find that I have a MC and a DPL both! Thank you both so much, Jo and Hugh! Yes, I thought 2 separate volumes would be better (and I'll amend the ID tag part to reflect volume 1 ), but I had been reading Stav's comments about unrecorded second volumes, and I thought I'd better make my commitment clear---Stephens is long winded, but enjoyable.

There is a absolutely beautiful collection of Catherwoods' water colors of Mayan sites on the web, http://www.smith.edu/libraries/libs/rarebook/exhibitions/catherwood/index.htm which you might enjoy.

Thanks again, Sue
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi Hugh, I can see you've been "librivoxing" at a great rate, with character readings no less! 8-) That's great! The dramatic reading project looks like fun.

Here I've finally got my first section of Stephens recorded, and, as before, I'm going to ignore chapter breaks and aim for some uniformity in recording length. Thanks in advance for your PLing.
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/jo/incidentsoftravelincentralamericavol1_01_stephens.mp3
44:23
Sue
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Sue,

Yes, I thought I would dip my toe in the waters, so to speak. :lol: I see you've gone back to school to improve your computer skills. Good for you!

I'm done with section 1 and it's okay. Thanks for the heads up on the chapter breaks.

Hugh
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hugh, Thanks very much for the PLing. Here is a second installment:
http://upload.librivox.org/uploads/jo/incidentsoftravelincentralamericavol1_02_stephens.mp3
45:26
Sue
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Sue,

Section 2 is okay.

MMMMMM Gunpowder, haven't tried that one yet. Reminds me of this...

Grandpa was mentoring his grandson on the secret of living a long and productive life: "Every morning, sprinkle a teaspoon of gunpowder on your oatmeal. Well, when grandpa died at the age of 97, he left six children, 33 grandchildren, 48 great-grandchildren...and a 25-foot hole where the crematory used to be.

Thank you, I'll be here all week...:lol:

Hugh
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi Hugh; enjoyed your bit about the gunpowder! As you've probably surmized, Stephens' humor tends toward the picaresque. . .

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/jo/incidentsoftravelincentralamericavol1_03_stephens.mp3
40:40
Sue
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hey Sue,

Section 3 is okay. Stephens' shows his humor again in the last chapter. I laughed.

Hugh
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hugh, thanks for the PLing! And, now, for a little suspense (arrest, imprisonment . . .)
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/jo/incidentsoftravelincentralamerica_04_stephens.mp3
34:38
Sue
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Sue

You forgot the vol1 in the filename for the last section. I've fixed it on the server and in the MW, but I didn't edit the link in your post above.
Jo
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Morning Sue,

Section 4 is okay.

Hugh
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Oops, sorry Jo about vol1!
And Hugh, thanks for pling!
Sue

Jo, is there a way to keep the same title & author info for the ID tag coming up each time you record a successive section? Most of the time, when I open the "open Metadata editor" under "file," the info from some previous book comes up and I have to delete it and type in the current book info, but, then, I can't figure out how to make that the default info for the current recording. If I had that figured out, the vol1 mistake wouldn't have occurred. Thanks, Sue
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Sue,

If you open the Metadata Editor in Audacity and fill in the ID3 tag info, you can click Set Default to keep it as the default which should then come up each time you export. Each time you start a new book, you will have to set the default again. Alternately, you can click Save, give the file the name of the book and then next time click Load and open the file with the tags you want to use (useful if like me you are recording more than one project at a time :)).
Jo