VIDEO TUTORIALS FOR LIBRIVOX

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 21st, 2011, 10:17 am

Piotrek81 wrote:I'm not sure if I feel comfortable with the thougth about you spending your Christmas putting together a video instead of doing whatever your typical Christmas past-time is :lol:
HA! thanks for your concern but rest assured that I am doing EXACTLY what brings me the most Christmas cheer and joy. Sitting at my computer editing my latest recording and researching, writing and making videos for Librivox.

My wife and I are in our 70's, retired, live in a small house that is paid for, and have no responsibilities other than going to the doctor a lot and deciding which of our children's invitations to accept for Christmas dinner. (They all live within 20 minutes drive). We live simply but comfortably and are very thankful.

Last night I started putting together my "8 Year Plan" of books I want to record by 2020. And there are a bunch! I am going to kick off 2012 with Orthodoxy by Chesterton followed by Little Mr. Thimblefinger by Joel Chandler Harris. Quite a spread there, eh?!

My major opus "Welcome To LibriVox" video series of 5 connected tutorials is in the works for 3 months now so a small diversion for noise cleaning will be welcomed.

May you have a joyful and happy Christmas season. :D
What has two butts and kills people? An assassin. You're welcome

Need Help? Check out these little videos: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 21st, 2011, 11:34 am

We're MARCHing to the finish line! Join our project cleanup month initiative. Details HERE

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 21st, 2011, 11:47 am

Thanks Tricia. I am still amazed at the amount of information that is always available in our wiki. I will start there. The new Sensitivity slider is of course not covered so, once I understand it, I may add an explanation of it to the wiki.

:D

Need Help? Check out these little videos: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » December 21st, 2011, 1:16 pm

philchenevert wrote:
Thanks Tricia. I am still amazed at the amount of information that is always available in our wiki.
Same here :shock:

That's a lot of info to digest. I'll try reading it a few times and than I'll probably still have some questions.
Come help us record The Deluge THE DELUGE IS BACK!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

Guero

Post by Guero » December 21st, 2011, 2:45 pm

Piotrek81 wrote:That's a lot of info to digest. I'll try reading it a few times and than I'll probably still have some questions.
I've read it several times myself and I still don't understand it all. ;) But luckily we have a great group of people here who love helping!
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 26th, 2011, 2:13 am

And now we have,AUDACITY NOISE REMOVAL: WHAT DO THOSE SLIDER THINGIES DO?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2603zZhUUk

EDIT: fixed the link.

I got tired of not kn owing what those sliders really meant and so made this video.
Last edited by philchenevert on December 26th, 2011, 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » December 26th, 2011, 2:21 am

The link needs fixing. I'll sure watch the video and I hope I'll learn something :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 26th, 2011, 10:19 am

Piotrek81 wrote:The link needs fixing. I'll sure watch the video and I hope I'll learn something :)
Hi Peter. I fixed the link so it should work. Hope it cuts through the fog and explains what is a complex procedure. Now I realize that we need a video explaining the recommended steps to take for best noise removal. <sigh> Like where to start all sliders, which ones to move first, which second, etc.

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » January 25th, 2012, 2:12 pm

Hello all. My computer is sorta working again so I'm back at the VIDEO works.

This video is part of a series that will be called WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX and will contain 4 or 5 videos depending on how the subject matter falls. these are the sub titles I have decided upon as of today:

1. WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX: "Start Here" a video that will give an overview of what LV does, our goals, our history, our catalog, and touch on the volunteering opportunities.

2. WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX: "Finding Books In OUr Catalog" video that will hopefully cover author, title searches and advanced searches by genre and reader and bookshelves, our collections and stuff like that. Also the various formats will be explained if I understand them all by then. I assume 98% of visitors just want to download books, right?

3. WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX: "I Want to Volunteer" video that will cover the main areas of volunteering; reading, pLing, CD covers, torrents and all the other stuff.

4. WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX: "Getting Started Recording" video that will cover what they need (mic, editing program, internet). Then the tech specs, 1 minute test and first recording, forum, volume. This will be a long one. As always, I have misplaced what people suggested and want more!

5. WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX "Installing Audacity " This is the one I just made. see bottom of this post for the link. Please take a minute and watch it and give me some feedback. Now that I have some technical stuff understood, I can remake it easily.

6. WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX: "Our Forum is Fun" video explaining how to maneuver and find stuff.

All of these are aimed at new LV people to ease their first steps into our mysterious land and hopefully answer the same questions that get asked over and over. Nothing profound. Most info will come from our Wiki.

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rraizMiOf8s&feature=youtu.be[Welcome to LibriVox: Installing Audacity Feedback would be appreciated. I can make a new one much more quickly now ... :?

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » January 25th, 2012, 2:44 pm

First of all, good to see you back in the video-making business. :)

I've just watched the newest one. Here are a few words of feedback
1. The intro blew my mind. Pro :thumbs:
2. I really wish this video had been in place when I was struggling with my copy of LAME :roll: I even started a whole new thread asking for help... I also distinctly remember that the procedure that Ruth (?) suggested (and which I followed successfully) was way more complicated, so I'm kinda dumbfounded that it's actually so easy. Anyway, there's a number of threads started by people like me, frustrated by the intricacies of LAME installation, so I'm sure this is going to help them enormously :thumbs:
3. "Yes, we can"? :mrgreen: So, that's your real agenda- spreading propaganda under the guise of an instruction video :mrgreen: :wink:

Btw. as I look at the video series you propose it looks like some of these issues have already been explained in your earlier videos (esp. matters you mentions as 4 & 6). Are you planning to update the ones you've already made?

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » January 25th, 2012, 4:31 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your feedback. !
Piotrek81 wrote:First of all, good to see you back in the video-making business. :)

I've just watched the newest one. Here are a few words of feedback
1. The intro blew my mind. Pro :thumbs:

Thank you. How about that intro, eh? I like it myself. notice that I kept the green theme of Librivox? That will be the same intro for the whole series.
2. I really wish this video had been in place when I was struggling with my copy of LAME :roll: I even started a whole new thread asking for help... I also distinctly remember that the procedure that Ruth (?) suggested (and which I followed successfully) was way more complicated, so I'm kinda dumbfounded that it's actually so easy. Anyway, there's a number of threads started by people like me, frustrated by the intricacies of LAME installation, so I'm sure this is going to help them enormously :thumbs:
The only benefit of having your computer visited by Mr. Lightning is that the complete rebuild required me to reinstall all of my programs. When downloading Audacity is when I discovered the little box "want lame? click here" that pops up now when you try to export an MP3 for the first time. That was not there before which is why previous installs were so complicated.
3. "Yes, we can"? :mrgreen: So, that's your real agenda- spreading propaganda under the guise of an instruction video :mrgreen: :wink:

Btw. as I look at the video series you propose it looks like some of these issues have already been explained in your earlier videos (esp. matters you mentions as 4 & 6). Are you planning to update the ones you've already made?
Good point. #4, Getting Started Recording will be a new video. I have never tried to cover the topic from beginning to end before. I have one that explains how to upload you 1 minute test but nothing that explains how to make it. Anyway, it will try to cover all the stuff the beginners need to know in one package. And answer the most asked questions AND the explain meaning of life. ambitious, not? :D And the forum one, #6, will be a much simpler version of my first one, aimed at telling them the basics instead of all that tiny stuff.

DanH

Post by DanH » January 27th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Hi everyone....hoping I wouldn't step on Phil's toes...I created a new video showing how to take care of the dreaded Plosives....
or Popping P's using Audacity's Equalizer and posted it to Youtube.

If you're anything like me, I usually will find them AFTER I've done a 20 minute read, and I don't relish the thought of doing a complete new read.

I'm hoping at least a few people will find this useful and mildly entertaining. Please leave comments/suggestion either at the Youtube or PM me directly.

And thanks to Phil for his input/insight/thoughtfulness.

Plosive Repair in Audacity (Or killing the popping P's)
DanH, The Other Video Guy

My first Youtube tutorial for Librivox can be seen here:
Plosive Repair in Audacity (Or killing the popping P's)

Check out more videos here:
Phil's Video Tutorials

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » January 27th, 2012, 4:22 pm

Hey, Isn't this GREAT! We have another video guy. Welcome DanH .... !!

:clap: :clap: Especially welcome because he knows a lot more about these things than I do.

Starlite

Post by Starlite » January 27th, 2012, 4:30 pm

That's great Dan! I have a new volunteer in the test forum who just can't seem to record without plosives. I'll send her here. :)

Esther :clap:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » February 11th, 2012, 7:50 pm

DOING YOUR FIRST SOLO: Some Tips and Suggestions. DOING YOUR FIRST SOLO: Some Tips and Suggestions

Yep, here is a video that will help potential soloists along their way to a happy experience.

Let's hope it will enable them to do more on their own with less hand holding. But then our admin people have tons of free time so ........

As always feedback for improvement is most welcome.