LibriVox Podcast #121 -LibriVox Dramatic projects (WAS #122)

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Community Podcast #122 will be all about those intrepid Librivox thespians, who love to speak often when angels would prefer to remain silent. It is scheduled for 15th January 2012.

I will be hosting this podcast. So far the programme consists of interviews with Kristingj, Liberty Stump, Amy Graymore, Marty Kris and Chyanne Donnell, a report on activity in the Dramatic Works forum in 2011 and 2012 from Availle and a brief submission from Gloriana.

This podcast will focus on member's views on and experiences of participating in dramatic projects. Therefore, if you have a story or an opinion about involvement in a dramatic project, please feel free to make a contibution. All sound files should be in the usual Librivox format and should be uploaded to Cori's folder (admin name cs) with the file name podcast122_xxx (where xxx is your name or initials.) Those who would like to make a comment but not read it themselves can send me a transcript via PM.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Last edited by Algy Pug on December 31st, 2011, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Here's my small part on taking small parts in dramatic works:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/podcast122_lkp.mp3
(1:22)
So little space, so much to say.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Lucy_k_p wrote:Here's my small part on taking small parts in dramatic works:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/podcast122_lkp.mp3
(1:22)

Thank you Lucy

However, I hope you won't maintain your policy of being generous to other readers absolutely and refuse to consider taking larger roles from time to time.

Cheers

Algy
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi Algy

Here's a lavishly illustrated segment about my LV drama experience =

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/podcast122_martingeeson.mp3

Duration - 05:48

Best wishes
Martin
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

MARTIN GEESON wrote:Hi Algy

Here's a lavishly illustrated segment about my LV drama experience =

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/podcast122_martingeeson.mp3

Duration - 05:48

Best wishes
Martin
Thank you Martin

Yes, I can still taste that leek....

Cheers

Algy
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Algy Pug »

This podcast has been renumbered - it is now number 121 and it is the first part of a two part podcast. Bob Gonzalez will host Part 2 next week.

Here it is:

Programme
1. Introduction. - 0:00
2. Availle reports on activity in the Dramatic Works Forum - 1:29
3. Interview with Kristin G: Part 1 - 4:55
4. Ezwa sings Shakespeare - 11:26
5. Interview with Liberty Stump: Part 1 - 13:11
6. Lucy Perry on short dramatic roles - 20:25
7. Interview with Amy Gramour: Part 1 - 22:11
8. Martin Geeson speaks - 29:52
9. Interview with ChyAnne - 36:02
10. Algy Pug on “How to get Noticed” - 40:04
11. Kristin G talks about Peer Gynt - 42:20
12. Interview with Liberty Stump: Part 2 - 53:28
13. Interview with Marty Kryz - 59:21
14. Interview with Amy Gramour: Part 2 - 66:46
15. Conclusion - 72:07

Duration - 73:11

http://www.archive.org/download/librivox_community_2012/librivox_community_podcast_121.mp3

That's it from me.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by TriciaG »

I'm about 30 minutes into the podcast.

Ha ha - liked the stuff about Faust I. Yeah, you better NOT take 5 years! :P

I'm not sure precasting cuts down on the time it takes to do a project, as asserted in the podcast. Readers can still disappear and/or give up their roles. I suppose enthusiastic newbies might do that more, once they realize how much work it is, but if we don't give them a chance, how will we know whether or not they're the next epitome of voice actor? :hmm:
Very limited computer access Wed-Sun, May 15-19.
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

TriciaG wrote: I'm not sure precasting cuts down on the time it takes to do a project, as asserted in the podcast. Readers can still disappear and/or give up their roles. I suppose enthusiastic newbies might do that more, once they realize how much work it is, but if we don't give them a chance, how will we know whether or not they're the next epitome of voice actor? :hmm:
You make a good point, Tricia. There's no guaranteeing that even seasoned LV dramatic works veterans won't have real life engulf them or get burned out or realize that part was not what they thought it would be (having not read it all the way through before accepting). But in any case, especially with plays with LARGE CASTS (I love playing with colors and sizes) :D , there are always lots of small parts to go around and I think newbies wouldn't mind testing the waters a bit instead of impulsively signing on for, say, Faust or Mephistopheles.

Bob
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

True. And I said I was at about the 30 minute mark; at 40 minutes was a segment about "getting noticed" so that you might be asked to take on roles.

I do still like having some roles open for volunteers, but I can definitely sympathize with coordinators who have a certain voice in their mind for a role, only to have it filled with someone who totally doesn't fit what they had in mind. That's happened to me, too. So I understand some pre-casting. I guess I see both sides of it. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Okay, I think I finished the blog page for this, and uploading it to Archive. Here's the post: http://librivox.org/2012/01/19/librivox-community-podcast-121/

In future, it would probably be good to include links to the projects mentioned. That way people can go to them directly.
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

I've just listened to the podcast. Sounds absolutely awesome! Great work everyone, especially Algy. (And thank you for your kind words.)
So little space, so much to say.