Help!!!!!!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
chenaultjo

Post by chenaultjo »

I am relatively new. Although I joined previously I have not made a recording. I have downloaded Audacity 123, made a recording, and need to post it for review by all. I need to export the test recording, but the program won't export or save as an Audacity file. What to do? I will wait to see if anyone is on now, if not I will chack back tomorrow. Anyone can also e-mail me at chenaultinmilw @ yahoo.com. I need help badly.
NinaBrown

Post by NinaBrown »

Hi,

my guess is that when you say that you can't save in Audacity format you probably mean the mp3. It may be that you need to download and install additional libraries to Audacity, to be able to export as mp3. There are detailed instructions in LibriVox Wiki pages here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_1-2-3 - hope this helps. These Wiki pages are treasure of information, I find it useful to save bookmarks to various spots and keep them in separate bookmark folder. Otherwise sometimes it's hard to find the way around as you probably experienced :-)

good luck
Nina
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Welcome chenaultjo.

Nina is correct, you need to 'export' not 'save' as mp3 but you may need to install the lame program. It is in the link she gave. It is a bit of a pain; I had problems years ago when I first installed audacity too. :)

If you still have questions, do ask. We are a friendly bunch.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
chenaultjo

Post by chenaultjo »

Nina and Starlite.

I appreciate your response however I am still having problems. When I try to export it says I need to save the file first, but it won't let me save it as an Audacity file, it asks if I want to save it to my documents folder, and I didn't think that was right. I have the info fromthe web site but it's not working--any more advice or comments will be greatly appreciated. I tried following the web cite step by step, to no avail. Still needing help!!!!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I am not sure what is happening - you would have been better to continue the thread so people know what is happening - and letting us know what version of Audacity you are using and your operating sytem
But I will try
I have never had a message that told me I couldn't export as Mp3 unless I saved but
If you are unable to save maybe you have not pressed the stop button and it thinks you are still recording or listening ? Most options do not function in that case ?

Anne
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Anne has a good point. You may also have the pause button on. In that case also, you will not be able to do anything.

What happens when you hit 'save'? I just tried to export without saving and it works fine. :?

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
chenaultjo

Post by chenaultjo »

Anise and Starlite:

I posted my test and hope it works. Although I got it through, I don't know exactly how I did it, but I will review the procedures before I submit anything else. I would WELCOME your thoughts, criticisms, and or comments. Thanks for the insights, both of you. I could be calling on you again. (smile)
Cori

Post by Cori »

Hi Chenaultjo -- it's nice to have you joining us here. :D

I've combined your previous posts into this one thread, which is easier for everyone to read and know what's going on. Please do use the 'Post Reply' option to carry on a conversation, rather than 'New Topic' which is just for completely new things.

I've also combined your two posts in Listeners & Editors Wanted, to make it easier for people to give feedback there. Don't worry ... I know it's all pretty complicated to begin with, but you're nearly there now, and then recording will be quite easy by comparison. :lol:

Just let me know if you have any questions about this (by using the 'Post Reply' button below ... I will see there's a new post ;)), and have fun LibriVoxing!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!