Any Russian-speaking readers around?

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Elizabeth, nice to have you here!

The first thing you should do is to record a short one minute test, so that we can be sure your technical settings are all correct. Everything you need to know about the test is here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

And then, well... :wink: We don't usually request anything - all our readers are free to choose what they would like to read.

Right now, there are no group projects open in Russian, but you can always read a short story or a poem for one of our multilingual collections. I don't know anything about Russian books online, we often use archive.org and gutenberg.org to find etexts.

The latter has only 5 books in Russian, all of them are very short and perfect for a beginner, but I don't know if they are interesting at all?
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/?default_prefix=lang_id&query=ru&format=html
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
monparnas

Post by monparnas »

hello. I have an entire book of russian folk fairy tales. I assure you it is in the public domain. I can start it as my personal project. I live in Russia and speak fluently in russian. native speaker. If you are interested let me know.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Is your book available anywhere on the internet? If not, you will need to scan in the copyright page(s) from the front of the book and send it to your coordinator (MC).

What is your book called? When did the author die?

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Starlite wrote:What is your book called? When did the author die?
And, more importantly for our purposes, as all LibriVox recordings need to be in the Public Domain in the USA, where all our files are stored, when was it published? It definitely needs to have been published in or before 1922, if published outside the US, which I assume it was.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
monparnas

Post by monparnas »

the author is russian folk. Book is called "russian folk fairy tales" But one man named Alexander Nikolaevich Afanasiev collected these fairy tales and put them into one book. He died on the 23rd of september 1870. But of course i cant get the book which is the original. Which is 140 years old and lies somewhere in a museum. I have a USSR edition of 1990. I can record it if you like. I dont like narrating from the screen. It spoils my eyes more thannarrating from the paper pages.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

You see, the problem with newer editions is that we do not know if anything has been changed in them, which would mean that a new copyright would exist. There is no problem per se with reading from a paper copy, as long as someone can check that it is exactly the same as the version which is in the public domain, but unless we can find an online version for a proof-listener to check against, then it is impossible for us to know if it is identical.

Ruth
monparnas

Post by monparnas »

why ask for a proof-listener. I guarantee the high quality. i know Russian from a to z. My mother is a nurse in a kindergarden. She knows old russian very well and from my very childhood she read to me a lot and when i began reading i was one of the best readers in school. My mom can be a proof-listener. There are many russian audiobooks which are not in the public domain and those sites that give them for free are not afraid of any obscure apparition of law.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Why a proof listener?

I started here as a proof listener and let me tell you the mistakes I have heard! Many times a reader forgets an edit like a cough or repeated phrase. (Even the BEST of us make mistakes)

In your case, the proof listener would be able to tell if the 1990 edition is EXACTLY the same as the original. Any alterations can represent a NEW COPYRIGHT. What this means to LibriVox, is that a lawsuit could SHUT US DOWN COMPLETELY. We have NO BUDGET for lawyers etc.
There are many russian audiobooks which are not in the public domain and those sites that give them for free are not afraid of any obscure apparition of law.
It doesn't matter what others do. There is A LOT of copyrighted material on the world wide web. That DOES NOT MAKE IT OK. It is still against the law and we will not be a part of that.

It may seem a hard stand but it has worked for over 5 years and we have had a few estates question some of our work and they had to be removed though some were CLEARLY PD. You would not want your work to be in vain.

If you don't like or agree with our PD policy, you can upload the recordings to Archive.org and take on the consequences yourself.

Esther
monparnas

Post by monparnas »

ok. i just want to do something good.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Can you find an online edition of the original work?

Esther :)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It isn't this one, is it? (says she, hopefully)

http://hdl.handle.net/2027/inu.30000121028611

Ruth
monparnas

Post by monparnas »

It isn't this one, is it? (says she, hopefully)

no((
monparnas

Post by monparnas »

Vaddy

Post by Vaddy »

How do I know if Mayakovsky's "Poem about the Soviet Passport" is in the PD? It's a good example for those wishing to perfect their Russian. If I record it, how can it be uploaded? It's easy to make a picture copy of it right from the book for a prooflistener. And how do I upload both the recording and the text picture copy?
Cori

Post by Cori »

The first question's the best place to start ... so, when was it published?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!