[COMPLETE] National Geographic Magazine Vol. 1 No. 1 - gu

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Guero

Post by Guero »

National Geographic Magazine Vol. 01 No. 1.
Volunteers outside the USA: Please note the death dates of the authors noted in the Magic Window. Some might be unknown, others might have died less than 70 years ago. Please keep in mind that their work might still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/national-geographic-magazine-vol-01-no-1-by-various/
National Geographic Magazine Volume 1 Number 1 published in 1889. Topics of articles are:
Announcement (explaining the formation and purpose of the magazine)
Introductory Address by the President
Geographic Methods in Geologic Investigation
Classification of Geographic Forms by Genesis
The Great Storm of March 11 to 14, 1888
The Survey of the Coast
The Survey and Map of Massachusetts
(Summary by Guero)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 2012-Aug-31 .
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.archive.org/details/nationalgeograph11889nati

Note: It is not necessary to read the text that accompanies illustrations, unless it adds interesting facts that can be understood without seeing the image.
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ======================================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and readers (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    [list]
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 7
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    [*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Geographic_Society
    [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Geographic_(magazine)
    [*]Date of first publication: 1889

=======================================================[/size]
Genres for the project:
history, memoirs, nature, science

Keywords that describe the book:

[*]BEFORE recording:
Please check the Recording Notes:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

[*]DURING recording:
Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Section [number] of National Geographic Magazine Volume 1 Number 1. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
  • Say:
    "[Article Name] by [Author Name]"

End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Section]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of National Geographic Magazine Volume 1 Number 1 , by the National Geographic Society . "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

[*]AFTER recording:
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
128 kbps MP3
ngm01_1_#.mp3 (e.g., ngm01_1_6.mp3 where "6" is the section number)

ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use - if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: # - [Section title without author's information] (e.g., 6 - The Survey and Map of Massachusetts)
Artist: [Author name and dates] (e.g., Henry Gannett (1846-1914))
Album: National Geographic Magazine Vol. 01 No. 1

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: gu - Guero
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
Guero

Post by Guero »

OK...here we go with the first of the National Geographic Magazines! I hope I've thought through everything. But, I'll make adjustments to the format/organization of the project based on feedback during this first go around. I'm looking forward to this! :)
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
Guero

Post by Guero »

Moving to Readers Wanted...
John
rainwatercoyote

Post by rainwatercoyote »

Ooh, this looks like fun. Could I take sections 0 and 1 to start things off?
Adam
Coyote Tracks: catalog | last.fm
Guero

Post by Guero »

Absolutely, Adam. They're both yours. Have fun! :D
John
duranee

Post by duranee »

Hi! I'm happy to take section 2, if no one has claimed it yet?
Guero

Post by Guero »

duranee wrote:Hi! I'm happy to take section 2, if no one has claimed it yet?
Hi, duranee. Welcome to LibriVox! No one has claimed section 2, so it's all yours. :thumbs:

I see that you've received feedback on your test recording. I strongly suggest that you not start recording the section for this project until you've been given the OK on your test recording. It would be a shame for you to spend the time recording for this project and then find out we can't use the files because of technical reasons. :cry:

Also, can you tell me how you'd like to appear in the catalog? Some people use their forum name, others use their real name or a nick name. Also, do you have a personal (non-commercial) website you'd like us to include? An example of a catalog page is here: https://catalog.librivox.org/people_public.php?peopleid=3615.

Thanks!
John
duranee

Post by duranee »

Hi John,

Sorry for the late response - I was moving house. Yes, I hadn't planned to record until I got set up correctly (dang mic levels), and will wait to get final clearance before working on chapter 2. But thank you for confirming my selection!

Catalog entry is fine as: Duranee .

Thank you!
rainwatercoyote

Here's section 0. Section 1 should be along in the next few days, hopefully!
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/gu/ngm01_1_0.mp3 (2:42)
(I just used "National Geographic Society" for the artist name in this file, since the announcement doesn't list a particular author like the other sections do.)
Adam
Guero

Post by Guero »

rainwatercoyote wrote:Here's section 0. Section 1 should be along in the next few days, hopefully!
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/gu/ngm01_1_0.mp3 (2:42)
(I just used "National Geographic Society" for the artist name in this file, since the announcement doesn't list a particular author like the other sections do.)
Sounds good. Thanks! :D
John
Guero

Post by Guero »

Section 0 is PL OK! :thumbs:
John
rainwatercoyote

Adam
Guero

Post by Guero »

rainwatercoyote wrote:And here's section 1:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/gu/ngm01_1_1.mp3 (18:45)
Thanks, Adam!
John
Guero

Post by Guero »

Section 09 has been uploaded.
John
TthewW

Post by TthewW »

I'd like to read Section 4, comments by Greely on the Great Storm.