Post by lvictoria »

Thanks, Ava! I am so looking forward to listening. :D

The Preface is PL OK!!
Laura
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you!

I hope I can have further sections posted soon, but I'm busy with another solo (Noli Me Tangere), which I'd like to have finished before next April. So this one may take quite a while... but I know you'll be sticking around anyway :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Yeah, I'm not going anywhere. 8-)
Laura
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

Heelllo!

Here I am :)
May I join lvictoria to PL?

The book sounds really interesting and it perked my interest!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

HI Erika,

it's very nice of you to take my invitation, arigatou gozaimas! Usually a project only has one DPL (Dedicated Proof Listener), and we have a "first claim - first read/PL/whatever" rule.

I answered in your introduction thread and posted the preface for this book almost at the same time, and Laura picked it up as a DPL practically instantly. That has never happened before, I swear! :oops:

So, that's the first time I have two people willing to DPL... what do I do now? :?

ETA: I can promise to Laura, that I have another book by Isabella on my list, about "Korea and her neighbors"
And to you, Erika, I can promise that I am planning to read the English translation of "The Tosa Diary" fairly soon (which we could also use in Japanese, btw... :wink:)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

I see, I see.

Well then, I think lvictoria should stay DPL :)
I was looking around in the PL wanted section and I'm sure there is other things to do!

As for Tosa...
My first reaction was OMG XD We did that in school...
I wouldn't mind doing both the PL AND the Japanese, although I'm not quite confident with the latter because it's in old Japanese.
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

You're a popular woman, Ava! :lol: Let's turn the PL'ing over to Erika and I will listen when it gets cataloged.

BTW, welcome to Librivox, Erika. This is a fun place to be.

You two have fun! :D :D
Laura
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

Thank you very much Laura, it's very kind of you.

I feel rather embarrassed barging in and taking your job and all, but I will do my best in being a good PLer!!

Thanks for the welcome!
I'm sure it's great fun, I'm looking forward to spending time here!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Erika, I have entered you as a DPL for this project. I will send you a pm as to what happens next shortly.

Enjoy listening! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

No need to feel embarrassed, Erika. It's really nice to see another PL'er on board here at Librivox. I don't know if you've ever read any of Isabella Bird's works before, but if not, I think you'll find her to be a fascinating woman and I know you'll enjoy Ava's reading!! :D
Laura
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

Availle, thanks for the PM.

I've PLed all three of the letters, and I think they all sound great!

You did mention something about pronunciation, but I think it sounds fine. Personally, I think they should all be read with a foreign accent, one because it's hard for English speakers to pick up the word when it's pronounced in the Japanese way (I get so many questioning looks when I say karaoke, or anime) and two, because Isabella IS a foreign lady and it sounds much more like her voice.

I noticed that the start and ending of the recordings are different from the ones provided at the beginning of this thread, but since the format is the same in all three tracks I'm assuming this is perfectly fine :) You would know more than me anyway XD

One thing that did catch my ear was in Letter 1 (9:1.5) the text said "Venus's ear" and you pronounced it "Venus ear".
I don't know if this is significant enough to change, or whether I'm right but I believe there would would be an extra s pronunciation?

Overall, I like you reading style very much. It makes me feel like Isabella herself is reading her letters and it's exciting to hear her story.

And Laura, thanks again. I actually did a little research on this and it turns out (not surprisingly, from a logical point of view) that it's quite well known in Japan as well! I didn't actually know more than the title and it's really exciting for me to learn of what happened in such a dramatically changing era. Please look forward to it!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Erika, thanks for PLing, I'm glad you enjoy the book!

Feel free to enter your findings into the Magic Window, so that we have a full record in one single place.

As to the pronunciation: The Venus's would need a second s, but as it is so minor, I'll leave it in.
I have a certain problem with pronouncing the Japanese words in the English fashion, as I am from German extraction myself :wink: German and Japanese have the same way of pronouncing the vowels, so that's easy for me. I can't even guess how to pronounce "anime" in English... :shock:

Probably, if Isabella's been to Japan for long enough, she would know how to pronounce the words correctly, as she would hear them all the time, and probably use a few of them as well? Just think of the "Maku Donarudo", which only fazes foreigners once... :lol:

So I guess there are good arguments for both views. I'll think about it...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

Okay, I've updated the MC :)

I think tongues are really funny in terms of learning a new language. Usually, even people who've studied a long time manage to have some sort of accent. I'm trying to learn German and I just can't do the ö XD

Anyway, I think you are fine, but if you want I can still record them and send them to you.

Maku Donarudo made me laugh out loud. True, true XD

Anime is pronounced "a-ni-mei" with the a being pronounced like in (an American) "angle" more like a "ei" .
Manga is even worse. I had to ask several times to repeat the word and finally asked what they meant when they said "meinguh"
One of my friends mentioned she thought it was a female mango.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Letters 4 and 5 are finished and ready for PL.

I was surprised that her description of Asakusa can almost be copy-pasted into a modern guide book. Not much has changed, although there are not that many shops for "women's hairpins" around anymore :lol:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com