LibriVox Podcast #117

Non-reading activities need your help too!
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Hello Everyone,

I have just signed up on the wiki to host LibriVox Community podcast #117, scheduled to be released November 07, 2011.

My theme is the LibriVox Community podcasts themselves and podcasting how and why (it may need to be split into two editions).

Over the summer I listened to every single LV podcast, many of them more than once. This is probably the biggest reason I have been motivated to host my own podcast and why I thought it most fitting to begin with a LV podcast about LV podcasts. I still need to type up my notes on all of them, but there are a lot of great little clips I thought I might pull to help flesh out a brief or not-so-brief history of the LV community podcasts. This would be one feature.

Another feature would be a how and why to produce your own podcast. This is to encourage as many volunteers to host the LV podcast so that perhaps we could have a community podcast as frequently as once per week and no less frequently than once per month.

I have been very graciously mentored toward hosting by the fabulous Cori Samuel as well as further encouraged by Ruth Golding (who I believe is preparing to host a podcast of her own on copyright issues).

I welcome any contributions via post on this thread, PM, or audio file. Cori has generously offered to let us use her "cs" folder on the LV uploader. Just alert me if and when you upload a file. Please name your file lv_communitypodcast117_yourforumname.mp3. Edited to add: In order to give me some time to put the podcast together, please send your contributions by Oct 31, especially if you are contributing written ones. This will give me time to possibly find a reader other than myself. Thank you.

Here are some prompts to inspire your contributions to this podcast:
  • What do you like most about the LV community podcasts?
  • What would you like to hear on the LV community podcasts that you haven't heard before?
  • What do the LV community podcasts mean to you?
  • How often would you like to hear LV community podcasts?
  • Do you have any favorite podcasts or podcast segments from the past? (This would be a great contribution from LV longtime veterans)
  • How long do you think the LV podcasts should last? You can give a range of time limits or a single one. I believe the longest length should be what would fit on a CD. Is that right? Less than 80 minutes?
  • If you have hosted a LV podcast in the past, what advice would you share with prospective LV podcast hosts?
But anything you wanted to contribute relating to the theme of the LV community podcasts will be welcome.

Also, I thought it would be neat for us to build a library of musical renditions of the LV podcast theme. We have a few versions from which to choose, including Cori's dazzling "la-LA-la-la-lalala" one. But I think it would be neat to have a lot of others, like other a capella versions and other musical instrumental versions. Cori also thought this would be a good idea.

Anyway, these are my ideas for my first LV community podcast. Please let me know your thoughts, anyone and everyone. I could certainly use some help with this first one and all subsequent ones.

Bob
Last edited by bobgon55 on October 17th, 2011, 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Bob wrote:Also, I thought it would be neat for us to build a library of musical renditions of the LV podcast theme. We have a few versions from which to choose from including Cori's dazzling "la-LA-la-la-lalala" one. But I think it would be neat to have a lot of others, like other a capella versions and other musical instrumental versions. Cori also thought this would be a good idea.
Yeah, crumbs, any versions that mean my singing is unlikely to ever see the light of day again (or whatever the ear-y equivalent is!) would be good. C'mmon you musicians, give it a go! Dum de dah-dah, diddle-dee. It's dead simple. Listen to some other versions here if that's not enough musical direction for you!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Cori

Post by Cori »

And, with regard to contributions -- if you want to record them, that's great, just follow Bob's instructions on naming and using the 'cs' uploader folder.

However, non-recording volunteers or those who don't want to record in English are still very welcome to contribute ... just PM your thoughts to Bob* and he'll either read them out himself or recruit someone to do it.

* I'm reasonably sure Bob won't mind me volunteering him in this way! However, if there is any problem, just PM me instead and I'll sort it out and pass a finished file on to him.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Absolutely no problem PMing me. Thanks for clarifying that for me, Cori. And, by the way, I still like your la-la version of the LV theme. :wink: Though I would also like to hear how many musical variations we can get.

Cheers,
Bob
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

I'm wondering how many LibriVox volunteers are interested in hosting a LibriVox Community Podcast or how many have even listened to past podcasts? If you are new to LibriVox or even if you have been here a while but have not heard any or many podcasts, I highly recommend them to everyone. I learned SO MUCH about the history of LibriVox from them, as well as got to know LOTS of volunteers I may never have encountered otherwise because I wouldn't necessarily be attracted to the material they read for LV. But the fun atmosphere that pervades the podcasts, right in keeping with the atmosphere on the forums, got me really excited about LV and helped me feel a part of the community. The forums, of course, are ours quickest, simplest, and more often used means of communication but the podcasts are a really special way to bond - especially since we are a community all about audio recording of voices.

The other thing I love about the podcasts - especially when released fairly regularly - is that they collectively create an oral history of this project, providing individual "snapshots" of time that concatenate to make a fluent story of this wonderful endeavor. As wonderful as the words we are recording of long gone classic and obscure authors, equally wonderful are the words that LV podcasters - hosts and contributors - script or improvise themselves as they share their thoughts and feelings about their involvement with LibriVox. And the sounds of their voices speaking their own words in telling their own stories, encouraging other volunteers, and speaking LibriVox history is a beautiful and uplifting sound.

So if you haven't already done so, visit the LibriVox Community Podcast page on the wiki here http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Librivox_Community_Podcast and listen to some past podcasts. Try the most recent and also have a listen to the anniversary podcasts - all six brilliant ones! And if you get really inspired, volunteer to host a future podcast yourself - it requires no other skills than you already have if you have recorded for LibriVox. And do consider contributing to the upcoming podcast #117 by Oct 31 and/or listen when it is released Nov 7. We'll tell you lots about these past podcasts and how you can and why you should host and/or contribute to future podcasts.

Bob
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Here is a file with some thoughts on Litterature etc, and podcasts too. If you can use it - or parts of it - you are welcome.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/lv_communitypodcast117_rowland.mp3

Time: 05:16

Lars
Good friends are like angels... ...you don't have to see them to know they are there
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Thanks so much, Lars. I think it could go either in the #117 or #118.

I really appreciate your very quick response!

Cheers,
Bob
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

WAYS TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE LIBRIVOX COMMUNITY PODCAST

Some other common features of past LibriVox podcasts have been:

The LibriVox statistics. Searching through the catalog and forums reveals the number of sections and completed books to date, by month, by genre, etc.

Promos for your group project are also welcome. If a project of yours is languishing, talk it up on the podcast to rustle up some interest and support.

Sharing some technical or performance advice has been popular in the past.

Interviews with LibriVox volunteers, veterans or rookies.

Or just send a PM or audio about anything relating to LibriVox.
Who knows? You could inspire a whole theme show on that subject!
Ideas for new, special, and regular features are also highly welcome.

If you are interested in being on the team of fairly regular contributors to the podcasts - and by that I mean people who come up with ideas for contributions, record or write contributions, or are interested in being considered to be called called and commissioned to make a specific contribution, please PM me so I can add you to the list of contributing correspondents. This will by no means be an imposing commitment. It will simply mean that you would be willing for me to contact you and request a specific contribution that you would only do if you have the interest and the time. So, if you are interested in being a part of the LibriVox podcasting team, just PM me about it. Let me know what you are interested in doing - statistics, promo organizing, interviews, tech advice, performance/reading advice, anything that helps make the podcasts more interesting, informative, entertaining, and fun. And, of course, if you are interested in hosting, please let me know. I will do my best to help you with your first one, if you want me to.

And then there are all those OTHER, AVANT GARDE, RADICAL ways to contribute to the podcast ...

Whatever way you choose, it's easy. Just collect your information in a short script, record, edit, export as an mp3 file with all the usual LV technical specifications, (like you do any LV chapter or poem) upload to the 'cs - Cori' folder and PM me to let me know it's there. Please name your file lvcommunitypodcast#XXX_yourforumname.mp3, where XXX=the number of the podcast (117 & 118 currently in production and pre-production).

Bob
Last edited by bobgon55 on November 8th, 2011, 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I always enjoy a blooper reel. I especially like when it's not all MY bloopers. LOL! :roll:

I would put some of them together, but I have out of town guests coming on Thursday and probably won't be able to do anything like this until after the 4th. Someone else could, if they're willing, or maybe I could do it for #118. When is the due date for #118 again? I see this one is Oct 31.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

TriciaG wrote:I always enjoy a blooper reel. I especially like when it's not all MY bloopers. LOL! :roll:

I would put some of them together, but I have out of town guests coming on Thursday and probably won't be able to do anything like this until after the 4th. Someone else could, if they're willing, or maybe I could do it for #118. When is the due date for #118 again? I see this one is Oct 31.
Bloopers, right! Bloopers are always fun. The deadline for show #118 would be Friday, Nov 18. That would be neat if you could put one together, Tricia!

Thanks!
Bob
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Promos for your group project are also welcome. If a project of yours is languishing, talk it up on the podcast to rustle up some interest and support.
You will be getting one of these from me. ;)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

You will be getting one of these from me. ;)

Ruth

Wonderful! Thanks, Ruth.

Bob
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Here are the current statistics: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/podcast117_statistics.flac

I accidentally saved it as a flac. Hope it is ok. :P

Esther :)

edit to add the bugle call is from http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/index.php
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Starlite wrote:Here are the current statistics: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/podcast117_statistics.flac

I accidentally saved it as a flac. Hope it is ok. :P

Esther :)

edit to add the bugle call is from http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/index.php
Thanks so much, Esther! Will adding the bugle call make only that part a creative commons license and the rest of the podcast can be public domain? And I will need to give credit to this site for the use of it, right? I'm double checking because that's what I noticed on the site you linked to. But I remember some past podcasts with old music like this (maybe from this site) where attribution was not given.

I think I can handle the flac file OK. If I have any problems, I'll contact you.

Thanks again for contributing - and thanks so much for all your enthusiastic support of this and all my other ideas and projects! :D

Bob
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

The file it came from is PD but I always credit the site as I think it's a great site ;)

Esther :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw