~[SOLO]The Naval Pioneers of Australia by Louis Becke-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Bidgiewidgie

Post by Bidgiewidgie »

The Naval Pioneers of Australia by Louis Becke (1855 - 1913) .
A history of Australian naval pioneers, mostly biographical in nature, spanning the earliest Dutch, Spanish, and Portuguese explorers through to Captain Cook, settlement and the development of the colony's mercantile and other maritime interests. ( Summary by Gabrielle Le Grand )
  • Target completion date: 2011-Dec-18
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12992
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lewis_Becke
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 13
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: yes
    • Original publication date (if known): 1899
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Gabrielle Le Grand
      Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project:
    history

Keywords that describe the book:
    naval pioneers australia maritime colonial history exploration voyages seafaring
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Naval Pioneers of Australia . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Naval Pioneers of Australia , by Louis Becke . [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Naval Pioneers of Australia by Louis Becke . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Naval Pioneers of Australia , by Louis Becke . "
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    navalpioneersofaustralia_##_becke.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Louis Becke
    Album: The Naval Pioneers of Australia

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: arb-annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Bidgiewidgie

Post by Bidgiewidgie »

(okay- so there was the copy-paste, not a 'new' post, but it's in its own thread, which I think is what you want?)

Hello Ruth!

I had to jump into recording while I had the time.

I have done my one minute test and am ready to upload it although I do not have an MC's initials so as yet won't upload it lest it get lost.

Sorry, I cannot do a thing about the incessant birdsong.

I have finished the first chapter recording, checked it for funny noises and cleared up any errors, proof-heard it, and made it pretty. I have a pre-amplified version and a post-amplified version to fall within the specific volume parameters set out in the how-to guides. Either are good and I have listened to both of them and compared them to various other librivox recordings on the same settings to make sure it's audible. So it's good to go when you're ready for it.

So, what do you want me to do? when may I upload the test and when would you like the chapter? now or when it's a complete book?

Have a terrific day.
Last edited by Bidgiewidgie on November 19th, 2013, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hi and welcome!

Upload your test recording to the Tests folder -- it's at the bottom of the drop-down list. Then copy the URL given and paste it either in Listeners Wanted (normal procedure) or here (since there are now a couple of us who will notice it).

One of us will give you feedback on your test recording, and then you can work on any techs that need fixing (if any) while waiting for an MC to pick up your project. Once you have an MC, you can upload chapters to his/her folder.

edited to add: 66025 words -- this will come in a bit over 7 hrs, which is a pretty good chunk of book. Most people spend about 3-4 times the final duration on recording and editing. Not discouraging you, just letting you know what you are letting yourself in for. :)
Laurie Anne
Bidgiewidgie

Post by Bidgiewidgie »

thank you, Laurie Anne!

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/test_Bidgiewidgie.mp3

oh the Magpies are warbling in the garden! hahaha.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Your test is very close! Bit and sample rates and mono channel are all perfect. Three things to note: your volume is a bit low -- was this the non-amplified version you mentioned earlier? There is also a background hum which will sound louder once you amplify the file, so some noisecleaning might be needed after amplification. Third, I noticed some plosives on your F's. That happens when your breath hits the microphone straight on. The way to avoid it is to have the mic positioned a little above, below, or to the side of your mouth so your breath doesn't hit it directly.

Would you please upload a short sample of your amplified recording next?

I think I heard the magpies. :lol: Not a problem at all.
Laurie Anne
Bidgiewidgie

Post by Bidgiewidgie »

ok,

I think I have fixed those issues without using the software effects.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/test_Bidgiewidgie2.mp3

I can always use the software effects and they work fine but don't have that pure raw sound so I wanted to fix the actual problems you mentioned at the source first -- how's this one?

thank you for your time.
Last edited by Bidgiewidgie on November 19th, 2013, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi
I can't download at the moment - but I am willing to MC it - I will finish off the seting up and make the template the first post. Couple of things you may or may not know - but as we really prefer you to only have to upload files once or maybe twice - we don't have unlimited bandwidth or storage - I will tell you anyhow
Your files need to be 1 hour or less - if they are much bigger you will need to split them in 2 (or more)
The intro and outor are in the template but can be varied slighly -as each chapter is about someone/thing different I would suggest you included that - e.g. Chapter 5 - Matthew Flinders
The file names and ID tags are also in the template - you need to use them for things to play properly when it is finished

Welcome to librivox - hope the magpies are birds not footballers :D

Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Volume is great now! You are right, fixing things at the source is preferable to post-processing if possible. You still have a bit of background hum (you can see it as a fuzzy-looking baseline in Audacity). It doesn't obscure your voice so it's not a deal-breaker, but if it doesn't come from something easy to eliminate, you might consider a touch of noise cleaning. Not too much, or the sound of your voice would be affected, as you say. (And if you do noise clean and you use Audacity, make sure you use the beta version. The NC in Audacity 1.2 gives the recording a tinny sound.)

You are in good hands now with Anne -- have fun with your first solo!
Laurie Anne
Bidgiewidgie

Post by Bidgiewidgie »

woo hoo! thank you, Anne!

the magpies are most definitely birds, were they footy players, I'd be out there with a broom shooing them off my lawn! :)

I promise to make all recordings under 1 hour and I like the suggestion about the chapters.
Last edited by Bidgiewidgie on November 19th, 2013, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bidgiewidgie

Post by Bidgiewidgie »

chocoholic wrote:Volume is great now! You are right, fixing things at the source is preferable to post-processing if possible. You still have a bit of background hum (you can see it as a fuzzy-looking baseline in Audacity). It doesn't obscure your voice so it's not a deal-breaker, but if it doesn't come from something easy to eliminate, you might consider a touch of noise cleaning. Not too much, or the sound of your voice would be affected, as you say. (And if you do noise clean and you use Audacity, make sure you use the beta version. The NC in Audacity 1.2 gives the recording a tinny sound.)

You are in good hands now with Anne -- have fun with your first solo!

yes, I noticed the tinny sound when I played around with it and thought there must be a better way, yay for a solution!
thank you so much for your help :)
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

Hi,

Sorry to ask a favor, but could you send me a PM when this is complete? The automatic notification system is down, and I'd like to include this in a little project I'm running for Australian audiobooks over at https://freeaudiobooksaustralia.wordpress.com/

Thnaks!
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

right - you have a window , I'll wait till you sort all that out before showing you haow to update it - the soloist usually does . And we will see if a Proof Listener drops in - they will be most welcome :D .

Anne
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Bidgiewidgie wrote:
chocoholic wrote:You still have a bit of background hum (you can see it as a fuzzy-looking baseline in Audacity).

yes, I noticed the tinny sound when I played around with it and thought there must be a better way,
Just adding an observation here. That background hum is probably 50 Hz mains hum. Removing it (and it's harmonics at 100 and 200 Hz) can be done using a single band parametric or a notch filter without too much effect on your vocal range and no tinny artifacts from noise removal. For example

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/xx/test_Bidgiewidgie2_withnotchfilter.mp3

More on this in the wiki

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Removing_Mains_Hum
Jo
Bidgiewidgie

Post by Bidgiewidgie »

oooh! thank you, Jo! that's great!
Bidgiewidgie

Post by Bidgiewidgie »