[COMPLETE]The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, Vol. 1 - arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

Sorry for the delay. I've been absolutely hammered by a sinus cold that dropped into my lungs and became bronchitis, so I couldn't even think of anything to do with LibriVox.

I spoke to Demimonde, and she said that she would probably have to orphan her chapter, and netfarer has not checked in either, so those sections are being orphaned, and I'll take back Morrison's story for myself.

I didn't check in with Tony Maxey, but I think I should do that too, just to see if he'll be able to return and record the second half of his story.
Tony Maxey

Post by Tony Maxey »

Hello Nullifidian,

I'm still planning on finishing the 2nd half of my story. I also see I have PL notes on the first part and I'm working on fixing them.

Tony
wtomcho

Post by wtomcho »

michaelreuss

Post by michaelreuss »

Section 09 Editing Notes

Very nice job of reading, William. Good tech specs, and very crisp enunciation.

There were a couple of misread words that change or obscure meaning, so I have flagged those two cases. And then one recurring issue. The abbreviation M throughout this section was read as "Emm". This abbreviation stands for Monseiur, and should be read that way, just as if you see the name Mr. Smith in writing, you would read that as "Mister Smith."

04:05 Incorrect word 'resistence' instead of 'residence' makes the sentence difficult to understand:
wherefore it was likely that a man who bore evidence of residence in that neighbourhood should come with the name of Dorrington on his tongue.

04:54 The abbreviation 'M' should be read as 'monsieur' (m'sieu)
it is M. Dorrington—not?"

21:44 The abbreviation 'M' should be read as 'monsieur' (m'sieu)
M. Bouvier," he said, "it is my trade to know everything—everything.

22:44 Incorrect word 'truth' instead of 'death' destroys the meaning of the sentence:
It is my trade, moreover, to know something of the sad death of that husband's brother...

36:55 Two instances of where the abbreviation 'M' should be read as 'monsieur' (m'sieu)
I am to judge what is foolish and what wise, M. Bouvier. Good evening!
Good evening, M. Dorrington ;

37:10 The abbreviation 'M' should be read as 'monsieur' (m'sieu)
Oh yes, M. Bouvier, I have a plan.

37:51 The abbreviation 'M' should be read as 'monsieur' (m'sieu)
So long as you behave well, M. Bouvier, they will not harm you,
Mike
wtomcho

Post by wtomcho »

Hi Mike,

Here is the corrected section 09. Sorry about the "M" abbreviation. I should have know better.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/rivalssherlockholmes_09_various.mp3

Time 40:44
michaelreuss

Post by michaelreuss »

Section 09 has been marked complete, PL OK!

Thanks, William. You did a wonderful job on your edits, and quickly, too. I can't wait to hear the 2nd half of this story. :D
Mike
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

Tony Maxey wrote:Hello Nullifidian,

I'm still planning on finishing the 2nd half of my story. I also see I have PL notes on the first part and I'm working on fixing them.
Thanks for letting us know! :D

And as an aside, I also got a PM back from David Richardson saying that he had the second section recorded, but would need some time to edit it down, so I'll keep his section reserved for him too.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Hello. I'd like to claim Section 19, The Assyrian Rejuvenator. I like Freeman a lot, having discovered him here.

It will be my first big thing after passing the initial setting test. Any advice from folks on how to break up a section like that? Record each page separately and then append them together? Or just go for it all and then fix? I see both approaches talked about in other forums....

Thanks, Todd
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi
THe chapter is only about 30 mins reading so shouldn't need breaking up. Would you likse your real name in the catalogue or just your forum name ? Please make sure you wait till your "Test is passed before you read it - you don't want to have to do it all again - 1 minute is better than 30 any day .

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

This project has gone on far too long so I am setting a deadline to all readers with outstanding sections - all files must be submitted by 30 th September - if you can't manage that I would appreciate it if you could let me know as soon as possible so I can find other readers

Anne
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Nothing like a red letter text message to get me off and working. Here is Section 18 - The Assyrian Rejuvenator

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/rivalssherlockholmes_18_various.mp3

29 minutes 2 seconds. I am very impressed that you told me above that the section would be about 30 minutes and you really pegged it!

This is only my second post-test submission and my first big one, requiring having to edit and append files in Audacity. It was much easier than I expected. Assuming of course that I did do it right - feedback appreciated (including negative comments so I can improve).

Thanks, Todd

(Re my catalogue name - just use my forum name.)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thank you - hope the others are inspired too :D . I will try to have a listen - looks like there isn't an official PLer

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

ToddHW wrote:Nothing like a red letter text message to get me off and working. Here is Section 18 - The Assyrian Rejuvenator

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/rivalssherlockholmes_18_various.mp3

29 minutes 2 seconds. I am very impressed that you told me above that the section would be about 30 minutes and you really pegged it!

This is only my second post-test submission and my first big one, requiring having to edit and append files in Audacity. It was much easier than I expected. Assuming of course that I did do it right - feedback appreciated (including negative comments so I can improve).

Thanks, Todd

(Re my catalogue name - just use my forum name.)
I've fixed your catalogue name and PLed your story - PL OK :thumbs: - nice reading :D

Anne
David Richardson

Post by David Richardson »

Hey Annise, Nullifidain, Michael.

Sorry to have been out of circulation so long - hope the project is still going!

Here's Pt 2 of the Horse of the Impossible (sorry Invisible) - you try pronouncing 'Saaamaaa'!

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/rivalssherlockholmes_08_various.mp3

27mins 45 secs.
The universe is made up of stories, not of atoms.
- Muriel Rukeyser

My LibriVox Page Blog The Metamorphosis
michaelreuss

Post by michaelreuss »

Hi David. I'll have the PL done in a day or two.
Mike