Browsers for Windows

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Thanks Ruth. Have set it to 'false' and can see the full url now.

Esther :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
guillerme

Post by guillerme »

Has anyone noticed troubles with Opera? Since the new version release I'm unable to open Gmail / Facebook accounts anymore. This was my favorite browser in the past.
Don't trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

guillerme wrote:Has anyone noticed troubles with Opera?
Which version is it? When I downloaded it last week, I got 11.5 and Gmail opens for me. (I am a resolute non-Facebook user.)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Cori

Post by Cori »

My Opera pretends it doesn't understand cookies the first time I open Gmail -- but if I reload the page it concedes defeat and runs normally.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Hi Ruth,
I love Google Chrome, once you set up your Bookmark folders, it is easy to keep track and add new ones.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6082/6085681747_7ab6ef03f2_o.jpg

(please excuse the long line of misc bookmarks trailing off the screen) :wink:

To add a bookmark to folders, right click on the star to the right in the address window, then edit the name and destination.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6192/6085681771_bf93396e16_o.jpg

The only fault with Chrome is that it won't display our RRS feed properly. :roll:
I use with Opera for that.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Jc

Post by Jc »

it's been a while since i've used chrome, but if it doens't support plugins, yet, you can still do some adblocking by installing the adblock.ini file. Just google it, and save the file to the right directory.

also, if you don't like the spying, you can try SRWare Iron, which is Chrome without the tracking.

And to add to David above, I think there's a keyboard shortcut to toggle bookmark bar on/off.
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
montmorency

Post by montmorency »

annise wrote:Ever since I upgraded to 6 and downloaded winamp lite I am getting a toolbar I don't want , my MP3 files put into a music library that I don't want - and which doesn't even give the size of the files and when they were downloaded - I fear you and I both long for the days when we decided what our computer did. Troglydytes both of us. Oh for the good old days when I wrote programs in Assembler -- toddles back to her bath chair.

Anne

Hey, was that 360 (370....etc) Assembler?
Same here! And machine code....

SR R15,R15 Set return code=0
BR R14 Return

(They should start in column 10, but the forum moves them left! :-) )

With great reluctance I chucked out my last 360/370 POP manuals only this year....

I remember that the code for BR R14 was 07FE, but am ashamed to say I've forgotten what SR (subtract registers) was. Load from storage was 40 I think and store was 45....or was that BAL ....

hmm....I think I threw away my green and yellow reference cards as well.

Now that was real computing ... :-)

You probably know the apocryphal story of IEFBR14:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEFBR14

Actually, that's not the complete version as I heard it, which is something like:

...And the moral of the story is that all programs have bugs, all programs need testing, and all programs need maintenance.

There were also some non politically correct aspects to the story, which I will conveniently forget.