[Complete]The Bostonians by Henry James - ni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

I haven't heard from Liz. Would one of you be able to do the quick edit on chapter 22? (At 28:33 repeat “By the time he reached his lodgings, his ambition, his resolution, had rekindled")
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
clifford

Post by clifford »

If it's just a matter of a quick snip to remove a repea, I could do it. But -- sorry for the ignorance -- I don't know how to call up the chapter in an editable form for Audacity. All I seem to be able to do is to listen to it. Obviously I'm missing something.

Nick
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Did you import it into Audacity? I think the option to import is in the Edit menu. Thanks for your help on this!
~ Betsie
clifford

Post by clifford »

I imported it into Audacity, as you suggested, fixed the repeat. I supposed I should upload it now? But I thought I'd check first just to make sure, since presumably it will overwrite the prior chap. xxii.

Nick
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Yes, please upload it... the system is set up to not overwrite older files (It renames older files and names the new one with the original name).

Thanks for your help!
~ Betsie
clifford

Post by clifford »

Here's the edited chap. xxii -- let me know if I goofed somehow.

Nick

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ni/bostonians_22_james.mp3
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Thank you Nick and Bruce!
~ Betsie
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

I just spot checked section 22 and I still hear the repeat starting at 28:33. There was a problem somewhere....

Betty
clifford

Post by clifford »

obviously something went wrong. I'll check again, and reload, when I have the time.

Nick
clifford

Post by clifford »

I don't know what happened. I checked the file I thought I had uploaded, and found it OK. So I've uploaded it again:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ni/bostonians_22_james.mp3

I know it's the correct file, because it's saved in a place separate from my other Librivox recordings. But how it is supposed to make its way to the MW? Presumably it does not replace the old file automatically, because immediately after I uploaded it, I listened to the version on the MW, and the repeated phrase is still in there, despite my new uploading. So I am completely confused by what's happening.

In any case, I also uploaded the same corrected file as

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ni/bostonians_22a_james.mp3

and hope I haven't messed things up by doing so. But if you can listen to version 22a, you'll see that the repetition has been corrected.

If there's some other way I should be doing this, please let me know.

Best, Nick
clifford

Post by clifford »

When I posted the corrected chap. xx, I did nothing to change the ID3 tags -- should I have? Might that be a problem?

Nick
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

No problem about the ID3 tags. And yes, it is weird that the file didn't seem to replace. The file name for the new file stays the same (so the MW doesn't need to be updated) and only the older versions are automatically renamed. I do see on the server where there were new versions uploaded yesterday and today... so, very strange, indeed. I am not able to double check the latest version at the moment, but I'm sure Betty will be here soon to double check it.
~ Betsie
clifford

Post by clifford »

I just listened once more (Thursday AM) to the end of chap. 22 in the MW, and the repetition is still there. So clearly my uploaded file, with the repetition removed, is not replacing or overwriting the original faulty file. But I have no idea why this should be the case or how to fix it. Is the program perhaps upset because Liz Mourant uploaded the original file, and it recognizes that I am not she, and refuses to overwrite her file?

Here's an idea, though for all I know, it might just make matters worse. I wonder if it might be possible for the administrator to remove the current chapter 22, and replace it with my uploaded .....22a.... and then change the name of 22a back to 22? But I'm flying blind here, and perhaps that would mess things up even more.

Nick
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Nick,
Let's try a simple work around. Instead of uploading it to Neeru's uploader folder (ni - neerajanagarajan), try uploading it to mine (tc - thistlechick) ... if it is a problem with the uploader not properly replacing/renaming the files, then uploading it to a different folder that does not contain similarly named files should fix the problem. If the problem persists in this scenario, it would stand to reason that it is some confusion on your end (though, I feel fairly confident that it is a problem on the LV end.)
~ Betsie