Book suggestions in languages other than English

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Yes, Nadine, that's it.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

I found an amazing site of German-language PD detective novels and stories today:

Criminalbibliothek

Among other writers, they have PDF scans of three volumes of the "Viennese Sherlock Holmes", Detektiv Dagoberts Taten und Abenteuer by Balduin Groller.

Incidentally, there are three stories in various literary magazines on Google Books featuring Groller's famous Austrian detective. One is simply titled "Der Amateur-Detektiv", one is titled "Dagoberts Ferienarbeit", and the other is "Der große Rubin". The last is already included at the above linked site. Maybe someone could combine all of the above for an anthology of twelve Dagobert Trostler stories. :D

Incidentally, one of the other foreign language novelists this The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes project has introduced me to is Baron Palle Rosenkrantz, who created the character of Lt. Eigil Holst. I can't find the specific story they adapted for The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, but the first Lt. Holst novel, Hvad Skovsøen gemte, is available online via Google Books and some of his other novels, both historical and mystery novels, are at Archive.org.
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

Since I see there's just been one Paul Féval vampire novel recently wrapped up, I'd like to suggest another one:

La Ville-vampire

It's a truly bizarre act of literary revenge. Féval begins the work by ranting about copyright infringement and the theft of his books by Englishmen (I wish I knew more examples of this thievery, because it would probably be in English :D), even going so far as to point a finger of blame at Queen Victoria, whose government had just introduced protections against copyright infringement with the exception of "fair imitation", which is protected under the new law. So Féval takes aim at this loophole with his own act of literary satire, creating a work that parodies the Gothic romance and which might as well be called Ann Radcliffe, Vampire Slayer. :lol:
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Actually there's been two Féval novels released recently (no, it was not on purpose :lol:)

But I enjoyed his book a lot, so I might take this one up in French at some point, or start it in English as collab if there is a text I can use :D

Psst... If you've listened, please write a review :D
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

neckertb wrote:Psst... If you've listened, please write a review :D
I normally do write reviews to things I've listened to, but I found La vampire by checking the Completed Works forum, which I do from time to time to see if there's anything of interest there.

My grasp of spoken French is awful, so if I listen to your audiobook I may have to follow along with the e-text, but that might be a way of improving my accent and understanding of the spoken language. :)

I'm not sure if there's a PD English text available, but I'll keep on looking.
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Nullifidian wrote:I normally do write reviews to things I've listened to
[offtopic]Where, if I may ask so?[/offtopic]
Do you live in Europe, Canada, Australia, ... any country where death date of author determines if a book is in the Public Domain? Come to legamus.eu to record books published in 1923 or later, written by authors dead since >70 years!
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

You can write reviews on archive, just need a login (it's free). See here:
http://www.archive.org/details/librivoxaudio
and here:
http://www.archive.org/details/vanishedarizona_1105_librivox (at the bottom)
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Ah, OK :) Been there, done that (albeit not very often until now; should become more consistent at it) :)
Do you live in Europe, Canada, Australia, ... any country where death date of author determines if a book is in the Public Domain? Come to legamus.eu to record books published in 1923 or later, written by authors dead since >70 years!
GKarosi

Post by GKarosi »

I would be happy to help expanding the database with Hungarian audio books. At the below link, there is an electronic library (Hungarian Electronic Library) , a project of the Hungarian National Library, which contains the texts to many PUBLIC DOMAIN books:
http://mek.oszk.hu

If an admin would like to discuss about a project or some fellow-Hungarians are reading, would be happy to discuss further details.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Hi, I was wondering if there are any recordings in Norwegian?
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

there is one poem here: http://librivox.org/multilingual-poetry-collection-015/
i believe thats the only one so far, but of course, youre welcome to add your own :D

CK
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Well, I have one project in mind, but I figured I wanted to find out how many Norwegians there is here, because it's a rather large project. Do you have any tips on how to find out?
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Two Librivox members from Norway subscribed lately, you could perhaps ask them? Here are their introduction topics:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=34985
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=34984
gefairy

Post by gefairy »

I would love to record books in Hebrew as I have found no fiction books on Librivox in Hebrew and very little other.
Is there any demand for them?
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

gefairy wrote:I would love to record books in Hebrew as I have found no fiction books on Librivox in Hebrew and very little other. Is there any demand for them?
Hi, gefairy, welcome to LV! About half of our Hebrew books are fiction:
List of Hebrew books

It is not a long list, as you see, and your contribution would be most welcome! Don't worry about demand. If the book is in the public domain, then it has a place here and we want it in our catalog. Note that we follow US copyright law for public domain, meaning that the books must have been published in 1922 or earlier. In addition, if you live outside the US, you should also follow the copyright laws of your own country (this may exclude some works that are PD in the US). We are always happy to help readers figure out if a work is PD for them.

Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for more information on how to get started. Once you have your recording equipment ready, send in the one-minute test recording as described there so we can double-check your settings. It's a very good idea start with something short, like a poem or a chapter from a group project, so you can get a feel for the process and see what the work is like before you start a solo.

Your help would also be most appreciated as a proof-listener, and that's another good way to see how LV works before you start a solo. We have very few Hebrew speakers here, so it's not easy to find a PL'er for the in-progress Hebrew books (you will see them at the bottom of the list linked above).

Let us know if you have any questions!
Laurie Anne