Hello (Also Includes my one minute test...)

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
NikkyHam

Post by NikkyHam »

Hello!
I am a teacher in Kansas, and I am excited to get started recording for this great project! I learned of this site through apps on my ipod. I have listened to some great books, and I would like to contribute.
Here is my one minute test. Looking forward to feedback.

thanks,
Heather

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/TestRecordingHeatherHamtil.mp3
greg_m

Post by greg_m »

Hi Heather,

Welcome to the LV community! We're glad you want to help with the recording side of the "business."

I just listened to your test, and I would suggest that the level is a bit too high. If you look at it in an editing program (such as Audacity) you'll see that almost every word has peaks up around 100% level. Many of those peaks are actually clipped a bit, which makes for a slightly harsh and distorted sound. Compare your waveform with the one shown here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

The next time you record, I'd suggest you turn down the recording gain a bit. Try to get a waveform that roughly matches the one on the Wiki, in terms of loudness.

Additionally, LV has some guidelines about the proper "listening level" which requires another step.

I would suggest that you try my suggestions above, and post the new test (without any editing, noise reduction, or other modification). Then let one of the LV volunteers chime in and give you some more feedback.

Thanks again for your interest and efforts, and Welcome!
NikkyHam

Post by NikkyHam »

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Definitely better than the first test. ;)

Tech settings all OK. Volume good.

You've got a couple plosives, where your breath directly hits the microphone, causing an unpleasant sound. Examples are at "Librivox" at 0:06, "this" at 0:07. Just be careful of this - maybe move your mic slightly to one side of your mouth (if a desktop mic) or a bit up or down (if a headset) so that the breath passes by rather than hitting it.

You also have a little bit of background noise. You will want to consider noise cleaning. Here's a link: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noisecleaning_With_Pics

I would suggest a setting of 12 / 150 / 0.03 or so - no higher than 12 on the first number, as you don't need much noise reduction.

Try making these adjustments, then post another test. Use the same file name as your previous one, and post in this same thread when it's ready. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart