[COMPLETE] The Four Feathers by A. E. W. Mason - arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dwwolfe

Post by dwwolfe »

Anne,

This story has intrigued me from the first time I saw the original movie (1939). I saw the updated movie and purchased the book in paperback with the new movie cover. Both movies differ somewhat from the book. I hadn't realized the book was public domain. I guess I thought it originated in the 1930s with the first movie.

Anyways, I'd like to read some of the remaining sections. I haven't recorded for Librivox before, but I have narrated audiobooks before. I also worked in radio for more than 12 years. I will post the test reading within a couple of days.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That would be fine - few things I need
1. I'll put you down for chapters 12 and 13 - if you wanted different let me know
2. You have a choice of name that appears in the catalogue - mostly it is either the forum name or your real name - let me know what you want. You can also have a personal URL if you have one you would like , otherwise your name is linked to your Librivox works
3. You can read a minute or 2 of your chapter if you want as a tech test, and post it here. I'll check it out .

Anne
dwwolfe

Post by dwwolfe »

1. 12 and 13 would be a good start for me.
2. You may use my real name, David W. Wolfe, on the catalog screen.
3. Give me a day or 2 on the test recording. I was going to do it tonight, but my throat went dry on me.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks , will do
Anne
nursejosh

Post by nursejosh »

sorry i haven't PL'd yet. Been uber-busy at work and home, but have a couple days off now. Try to get things in by Friday.
dwwolfe

Post by dwwolfe »

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

dwwolfe wrote:Here is my test recording:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/test_dwwolfe.mp3

and a sample reading of Chapter 12:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/fourfeathers_12_mason sample.mp3

David.
I've had a listen - vol and technical bits are fine as is your reading - and it sounds good. The only thing I would add is to be careful of your 'plosives on the P's , they aren't too bad but it would be nicer without. If you are using a headset the mic position is a bit harder to control , and you can't really use a "pop filter" - people round here use anything from a baby sock , nylon stocking stretched over wire coat hanger (or embroidery hoop) to expensive shop bought variety :D

But as far as I am concerned - start reading :D

Anne
If you like A E W Mason by the way - I've just catalogued Running Water for a soloist .
nursejosh

Post by nursejosh »

Sorry it took so long:

Chapter 5 - OK!

Chapter 1 - only 0.33 seconds at beginning, please increase to 0.5-1.0 seconds; 4.03 seconds at end, please increase to 5 seconds; otherwise good!
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

I recorded my chapters last night, I'm working OT this week and then rock climbing next weekend so gimme about 2 weeks and they will be all done.

After I was done recoridng last night I didnt clean up my normal mess of cords,mic, etc. My husband who was on nightshift, poked me this morning at 5am when he got home and asked "why the hell is there a microphone in a sock hanging from our lightsabers?" HA! The lightsabers act as my micboom, you get the rest :)
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

jollyrogered wrote:I recorded my chapters last night, I'm working OT this week and then rock climbing next weekend so gimme about 2 weeks and they will be all done.

After I was done recoridng last night I didnt clean up my normal mess of cords,mic, etc. My husband who was on nightshift, poked me this morning at 5am when he got home and asked "why the hell is there a microphone in a sock hanging from our lightsabers?" HA! The lightsabers act as my micboom, you get the rest :)
Trust a husband to worry about such inessentials - looking forward to the results :D

Anne
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/fourfeathers_08_mason.mp3

Section 8 uploaded (going a little backwards, haha)

run time 13:08
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thank you , all windowed

Anne
nursejosh

Post by nursejosh »

I'm backpacking this next week and won't be able to PL until that weekend.

Also, I posted on my PL of Chapters 1 and 5, but didn't see that the window had been updated.

Thx,
Josh
dwwolfe

Post by dwwolfe »

Anne,

Sorry I haven't gotten to this, yet. I've been trying a few different mic setups on my laptop. Also, I've been busy working extra hours at work. I should be able to get some reading and editing done this weekend, though.

David.
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Josh have fun backpacking! And be safe!

I did see your notes for chapter 1, should be getting to that this weekend! I'm also working overtime, cutting into my librivox time, tsk tsk tsk. lol
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!