COMPLETE - Short Ghost Story Collection 003 - SW/tc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

This collection is complete and may be downloaded from here:
http://librivox.org/ghost-story-collection-003/

Short Ghost Story Collection Vol. 003

What is a ghost story? M. R. James listed a number of features of the "English" ghost story: the pretence of truth; "a pleasing terror"; no gratuitous bloodshed or sex; no "explanation of the machinery"; with the setting being "those of the writer's and reader's own day". Roughly speaking, this gives the taste of what we're after, but the setting can be anywhere, of course. To me, the most effective stories have perhaps something of love in them, something of sadness, an other-worldliness, a touch of fear, a shiver of the hair on the back of your neck.

Please select and record any short ghost story in the public domain. Try to stick to works that run less than 60 minutes (shorter is good), but we're flexible. Contribute as many as you wish, and there is no need to "sign-up"...if the work is clearly in the public domain, just start recording. Multiple versions are always welcome, so don't worry whether someone else has recorded your selection already; we're happy to hear your version too: in this case, I would prefer that we (you or I) hold onto any duplicate stories to go into later collections, though.

There's a list of ghost story writers (not just ones whose stories are in the public domain) here: Author List

For some stories to read, there's Horrormasters ... and more at Literary Gothic

Be very careful: although stories may be free to download, they may still be copyright. (I spent a few hours recording a ghost story written in 1911 from Horrormasters only to find that theirs is the only copy I could find online and they're claiming copyright!)

After 10 stories are submitted, we will collect them, catalog them, and make them available to the public.

Recording Notes:
  • Begin your recording with the standard Librivox Disclaimer: "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox Recordings are in the public domain. For more information and to find out how you can volunteer, please visit Librivox.org"
  • Say: "[Story Title], by [Author Name]"
  • At end, say: "End of [Story Title], by [Author Name]"
  • Please leave a minimum of 3 seconds of silence at the end of your recording. If the recording is over 30 minutes long, leave 5 seconds; if an hour or more, 10 seconds. This is because some players cut off the end of mp3 recordings on playback.
  • Recording info: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
  • More recording info: http://librivox.org/about-recording/
  • Even more recording info: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording
File Format: 44100Hz, 16-bit, 128kpbs, MP3

File Name: (lower case, with words separated by underscores):
story_title_author_lastname_readers_initials.mp3 (e.g. mystery_of_death_sexton_py.mp3)

(Don't include punctuation - such as apostrophes - in the title, and abbreviate it if it's long, or starts with "the" or "a" etc.)

ID3 Tags:
  • Title/Name: [Story Title] (e.g. The Mystery of Death)
  • Artist: [Author Name] (e.g. Mortimer Sexton)
  • Album: LibriVox Short Ghost Stories, Vol. 003
  • Year: 2006
  • Genre: Speech
  • Track: (leave blank)
  • Comment: (optional) Recorded by [your name/pseudonym plus your url, if you wish]
How to submit your story:
  • If you have your own server space, you may simply post a link to your completed file in this forum
  • Or send it via www.yousendit.com with my email as the recipient (peter[dot]planete[at]tiscali[dot]co[dot]uk) ... in this case please also post the generated link in this forum.
  • If you can't get either of these options to work, PM me and I can give you a hand.
Please post the following with your file:
  • Source from which you read (i.e. Gutenberg etext url)
  • Your name as you would like it to appear on the catalog page.
  • URL of your homepage if you have one you would like linked to your name on the catalog page.
I'll download the files to my computer, carry out a quick check of the start and end of the sound file, then will upload them to a file store from which they can be downloaded. (The file store hasn't yet been set up.)

They'll be stored there until the collection is complete. Please feel free to download from there and proof-listen any of the stories; any that aren't proofed by the time the collection is complete will be passed to the Listeners thread before the collection is passed to the catalog.

Peter

Last edited by Peter Why on February 18th, 2007, 3:09 pm, edited 28 times in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Here's The Haunted Orchard, by Richard Le Gallienne:

http://download.yousendit.com/097CFDF97F84D3D9

Peter
ScubaScot

Post by ScubaScot »

How about these?

Tell Tale Heart - Poe

Cask of Amontillado - Poe

The Raven - Poe

A Ghost Story - Mark Twain

If you're good with these, I can record and sbmit them by early next week.
kentdixon@shaw.ca
www.voxwerx.ca
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

A Ghost Story - Mark Twain Has been done in the previous collection. You can check it out here:

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3222

And collection 1 is here:

http://librivox.org/ghost-story-collection-001/
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

But we always welcome multiple versions... so, don't even hesitate to record something that has already been recorded... we're happy to hear your version too =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Yes, go to it!

Thanks,

Peter
pipesdreams

Post by pipesdreams »

Hello,

I recorded "The Return of Imray", a ghosty little tale of murder and concealment by Rudyard Kipling that I think will fit nicely into your collection. I do beg your pardon, but being a new(ish) reader, I didn't know how the LibriVox short story postings worked, and so my filename and ID3 tags are made simply to identify the text, and not to fit into this collection.

May I beg the indulgence of the cataloguer, and ask that you change these labels for me, as my FTP ability is limited and I doubt I'll be able to get another copy uploaded to my server for several days (I have a finicky ooooollld laptop, and she hates file transers!)

Currently, the filename is: "return_of_imray_kipling", but if you want my initials for the end, they are "mf"

The ID tags are mostly correct, but I did not enter 2006 as the year, and the Album will have to be altered from the Gutenberg text # to "LibriVox Short Ghost Stories, Vol. 003".

Is that okay? So sorry for the inconvenience! :oops:

Story: The Return of Imray, by Rudyard Kipling
Source: Gutenberg e-text #5777
Located at: http://www.knittits.com/LibriVox/return_of_imray_kipling.mp3

Thanks, and I hope you find this a good addition to your collection!
Moira

ps - Would H.P. Lovecraft's "The Call of Cthulhu" be a good choice for this? It's about 23 pages long, but maybe is more "monster story" than "ghost story". I haven't recorded it yet, but I'd like advice as to where it belongs when I do (also, I'm getting it from Gutenberg Australia... is that okay?)
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Welcome Moira!

No problem about the ID3 tags, etc.... We're glad to have your recording! =)
pipesdreams wrote:
May I beg the indulgence of the cataloguer, and ask that you change these labels for me, as my FTP ability is limited and I doubt I'll be able to get another copy uploaded to my server for several days (I have a finicky ooooollld laptop, and she hates file transers!)
~ Betsie
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks for the story, Moira, I'm downloading now; I'll do a quick sound-check this evening. I think you're right about Cthulhu; perhaps we should start up a Horror (or Gothic?) story collection to hold this other sort of unworldly stories. I'll discuss it with the other coordinators. Record the story, if you like, but please hold onto it for a moment until we sort out a good place to put it. How about working out a description for me of the sort of collection that would be suitable, and for which there are likely to be lots of other suitable stories?

Peter
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

I think we decided at one point that The Call of Cthulhu wasn't clearly in the public domain in the United States... Here is a thread that includes Lovecraft stories that are clearly in the public domain: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3513
~ Betsie
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Moira,
Your story sounds fine: very clear, good volume, no noticeable background noise. You are getting slight breath puffing ("plosives"), but it's not intrusive: you should probably angle or move the mike a little further away from your mouth.

I've not listened to much more than the beginning and end; all the stories will be put on the Listeners Wanted thread when the collection's complete.

Thank you,

Peter
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

~ Betsie
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Betsie; downloading now, I'll listen this evening.

Peter
pipesdreams

Post by pipesdreams »

Thank you, Peter, for the sound quality feedback. Always good to have.

I've noticed the plosives, but I swear to heaven the microphone is down beneath my chin! Damn thing must be super sensitive, since I tried the breathing on my hand test and not even a light breeze is reaching the mic head. Hmph. Maybe I'll move it up near my nose and see if that works.

Pity about Chthulu, but then, so many things aren't public domain yet.

I'd like to read a second story for this collection - 'The Gerrard Street Mystery' (1888) by John Charles Dent.
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/6917

Being Canadian, it is my desire to beef up the Can-content on LibriVox, and since so few of our native works are old enough to have gone public domain yet this is a rare find! I found some great Quebecois ghost stories from the 1800s, but they're in French and I can't find any public domain translations, alas.

I've finished recording the first 20 minutes of the story - the Gutenberg version is marked into three parts, but my paper copy has no such delineations, so I wonder, do I have to adhere to the Gutenberg divisions? Or can I make my own judgements as to where the story stops and starts as a recording? I don't think Dent's original had any such slices marked. The story is around 30 pages total, and Gutenberg splits it very unevenly: 15 / 5 / 10. My preference is to even it out, with each section being around 10 pages in length. Please advise.

Dent also wrote 'The Haunted House on Duchess Street', which I may read later if time permits me.

Cheers!
Pipes
[size=92]"What could be easier than to write articles and buy Persian cats with the profits?" - V. Woolf
[b][url=http://www.librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/MoiraFogarty]Find out what I have been reading lately, and what I will read next![/url][/size][/b]
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Pipes,

Unless you're limited by your recording system, I'd leave the story as a single unit, though if it's longer than, say, an hour in all, you might produce it as a stand-alone work. (If you're not able to create the story as a single file, do it in the biggest blocks you can and I'll glue them together.) Do stick to the Gutenberg text if you can, unless your printed copy was published before our cut-off: there's a possibility that a later text might have been edited, and still be within copyright.

If you can get together ten or so of the ghost stories in the French language, why not create a specific collection of these? I can help coordinate the collection, though you might be better off finding a French speaker, or you could do the whole thing yourself, and just look for some listeners in the language to check them out.

Oh, and plosives are a perennial problem. Somewhere there's a thread about making a shield for your mike to cut down the effect. Here's one: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3081

Thanks for your work,

Peter