[COMPLETE]The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, Vol. 1 - arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

No hurry at all, thanks. Please feel free to take your time. :)

In fact, things are moving faster on this project than I originally estimated. I think this project may well be done long before the 1 December deadline I put on it.
tojaboss22

Post by tojaboss22 »

Thanks, Nullifidian,

I can breathe again! :D

Certainly I do not need that much time.

Regards

Andrzej
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi Nullifidian

As part of my job description I have to be able to say that everything is PD - with an on line text that is fairly easy most times but I can't just take your word for it . Could you tell me exactly where the last story came from and how you got it to transcribe - all in the one post and I'll get advice as to what documentation we need to keep.

Anne
I don't envisage any problems
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

Please don't put yourself to any trouble. I'll just select a new story from the collection Max Carrados, which is available online at Gutenberg.

In fact, it may be a blessing in disguise, because none of the other stories in this collection, save for "A Message from the Deep Sea" have actually been murder mysteries. The new one I've selected, "The Tilling Shaw Mystery", is a story about a suspicious death. :)

I've already sent a PM to Andrzej informing him of the switch.
netfarer

Post by netfarer »

I'd like to claim sections 3 & 4,
The Affair of the Avalanche Bicycle and Tyre Co. Ltd., Parts 1 & 2
Thank you,
netfarer
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

Oh dear. :oops:

I'm afraid I never intended to orphan those parts. They could have only been unclaimed for half a minute at the most, while I was experimenting with the Magic Window to see what the "delete this reader" function actually did. I tried it on my own name, because I figured if I screwed something up terribly at least nobody else would be inconvenienced.

Oh well... if you do want to read that story, it is a fun one—and I've still got "The Ripening Rubies"—so sections 3 and 4 are now yours. :)

If you've never recorded anything for LibriVox before, please read over the Newbie Guide to Recording, which will tell you how to set your technical specs and volume to the correct levels. Then you might want to submit a 1-Minute Test either here or in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum so that we can advise your specs and volume are set correctly before you record a full chapter.

Welcome to LibriVox! :thumbs:

And don't worry, things won't always be this confused. :lol:

P.S. If you would like to give me a "Catalogue Name" that is different from your forum name, then I can add that to your project page. I can also add a link to one website of yours, like a blog, a Twitter feed, a Facebook account or whatever.
netfarer

Post by netfarer »

:oops: I wouldn't want to swoop in and nab something you've been expecting to record, Nullifidian; it does look very fun! Thank you for your graciousness, but if you'd like to reclaim them, please do. :)

And thank you for the warm welcome. :) My 1-minute test has been OK'd (yay!), so I'm out looking for a work to read. Using "Netfarer" with a capital "N" as my catalogue name would be fine, thank you.
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

netfarer wrote::oops: I wouldn't want to swoop in and nab something you've been expecting to record, Nullifidian; it does look very fun! Thank you for your graciousness, but if you'd like to reclaim them, please do. :)
Not at all! I would never want to stand in the way of someone who wanted to read a story. And like I say, I still have one of the stories claimed. I like them all, which is why I decided to BC this project in the first place. :)

I look forward to hearing your contribution. :D
Tony Maxey

Post by Tony Maxey »

Hello,

I've just uploaded Section 13 (The Case of the Dixon Torpedo - Part 1).

Here is the URL for the file http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/rivalssherlockholmes_13_various.mp3

Section 14 which will be Part 2 of the Dixon Torpedo story will follow soon.

Cheers

BTW the 'magic window' which shows sections and assignments is not working.

Tony Maxey
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

Thanks, Tony! :)

Unfortunately, they're not working for any projects, and the entire LV catalogue is down too. There's been no word on when they're going to be back up.
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

I have put up an "Impromptu Magic Window" in the original post.

Now let's see how soon it is that all my effort will be wasted. :twisted:
michaelreuss

Post by michaelreuss »

Section 13 Editing Notes

Hi Tony, you read well, and your tech specs are all good, good intro and outro.

When you make a mistake or stumble while reading, you should stop and reread the sentence, creating a "second take" on the spot, which allows you to delete the mistake or stumble. Some people will announce an audible signal when they stop, so the deletions are more easily clipped out.

I'm sorry that this is a rather longish list of corrections.

Editing hint: please start at the end of the file and work UP the list, so the time stamps will not shift

00:47 Incorrect word "similar" instead of "singular" in:
He has told me many an anecdote of singular happenings to Scotland Yard officials with whom he has exchanged experiences.

2:08 Stumble "in a... in for a" at:
found himself in for a startlingly larger trouble,

3:06 Stumble/Incorrect word 'age' instead of 'aid' in:
examining and comparing the handwriting of two letters by the aid of a large lens.

7:21 Missing word "The" at the beginning of this sentence:
The engineer nodded hastily.

8:25 Please add a longer pause between "I can't reasonably suspect anybody." and (in a new paragraph) "Very well;"

13:07 Stumble, "they waft to wait" should be:
If Worsfold or Ritter arrive before me in the morning they have to wait to be let in;

13:26 Stumble in:
They would probably command a great sum.

13:40 Multiple stumbles in:
and not only should I lose all my labor, but I should lose all the confidence reposed in me at headquarters;

14:37 Extra word "thing" (...whole thing...) inserted in:
and the smallest error or omission in any part would upset the whole.

15:38 Extra word "two" (...from the two largest...) inserted in:
I have just taken orders from the largest railway companies.

17:11 Stumble in:
Hewitt took the key and passed through the outer office into the corridor.

19:01 Add a pause between : "I very much question whether you have
any legal remedy, strictly speaking." and ""Mr. Hewitt, I implore you,"

20:03 Stumble
call Mr. Worsfold and give him something to do that will keep him in the inner office across the way,

20:47 Multiple mistakes. Please reread:
but you should be more careful in your movements out of doors if you do not wish your acquaintances to be known. Mr. Hunter, I believe, has the drawings which Mr. Dixon has lost, and, if so, I am certain that you have given them to him.

21:46 Incorrect phrase in:
but Hewitt stepped toward him and motioned him back to the private room.

24:00 Add about two seconds of silence at the end of the track
Mike
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Nullifidian wrote:I have put up an "Impromptu Magic Window" in the original post.

Now let's see how soon it is that all my effort will be wasted. :twisted:
Neat idea, lots of work though - I blew the title up a bit .

Anne
tojaboss22

Post by tojaboss22 »

Hello,

first part of The Tilling Shaw Mystery:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/rivalssherlockholmes_22_various.mp3

Kind regards

Andrzej
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

Thanks, Andrzej. :D

Sorry about my not being around to take note of this before now, but I went on a day trip to the Long Beach Opera on Saturday and was too exhausted on Sunday to look in here. Fortunately, michael seemed to have added it to the MW while I was gone.