[COMPLETE]At The Sign of The Jack O'Lantern/Myrtle Reed-arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

At The Sign of The Jack O'Lantern by Myrtle Reed (September 27, 1874–August 17, 1911) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/at-the-sign-of-the-jack-olantern-by-myrtle-reed/
This begins with an odd inheritance at the end of a honeymoon, both parties being inexperienced. Then someone comes to visit, then another, until we've got a chaotic bedlam of New England's tragically off the wall odd-ball relations. Our protagonists may not communicate efficiently at first but at least they've got a sense of humour. The humourous style keeps up as well as some moments of lustre and rich feeling about the printed word itself. (Introduction by D. Wor)
  • Target completion date: January 2012
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/26673
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).
    ===========================================
    MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
    • Say:
      "[At The Sign of The Jack O Lantern], by [Myrtle Reed].[Chapter X]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of [Book title] by [Author]. [Translated by [translator]]. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
      End of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of [Book title], by [Author].

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
    • Example filename
      jack_o_lantern_##_reed.mp3
    • Example ID3 V2 tags
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Artist: Myrtle Reed
      Album: At The Sign of The Jack O Lantern
    • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
      Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
      Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
        http://upload.librivox.org
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: arb - annise
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by Morlock on May 15th, 2011, 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi

There are a number of things missing in the template which you will need to fill in before an MC can pick it up - the information betwen the .................. ..................... and the file names, ID tags, and what you are planning to say at the start and finish of your file. People usually learn this from doing a chapter in a group project - but reading a first post in a Solo will give you some idea of the file names etc.

However the most important thing you need to do before starting on a Solo is a sound check - also called a technical or 1 minute test . You need to get all the technical requirements right - or we can't use the file. And getting volumes background noise microphone position etc right before you read your first chapter of your solo improves your Solo. Please note - this is not an audition, we accept all readings that are technically correct and understandable Check the guides for Listeners and Volunteers - linked top of page - read what you need and follow the instructions for the 1 min test .
Looks an interesting book, :D

Anne
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

I'm nearly completely confused, what is ".................... ...................."? or is that the equal signs and what not? Should I just start over? Where would I send a sound check? What would I say on the sound check? How do I find an MC? (What is an MC?) There is so much technical jargon that by the time I think I've figured out a portion the other 15 portions escape me.

sorry,
and thanks
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Morlock wrote:I'm nearly completely confused, what is ".................... ...................."? or is that the equal signs and what not?
Sory - yes they are the ============ the bit that says
Soloist - please provide *all of* the following
:needs to be all filled in
And then all the bits with file names etc that follow - if this bit isn't clesr you could check another solo template in the launch pad to see what they have done
Should I just start over?
no
Where would I send a sound check? What would I say on the sound check? How do I find an MC? (What is an MC?)
I did give you that information "Check the guides for Listeners and Volunteers - linked top of page - read what you need and follow the instructions for the 1 min test".
There is so much technical jargon that by the time I think I've figured out a portion the other 15 portions escape me.

sorry,
and thanks
That's the reason we suggest people read the newbies guide - (and try a chapter or 2) before they leap into a Solo :D
And as I said before , sounds an interesting book.

Anne

Anne
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Thank ye, let me know if there is anything I've missed in my edit.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

THe bit between the ===== ===== is great, you just stopped there.

For the bit here - its a long name - maybe atsignofjack_01_reed.mp3 would be enough (that's the first chapter , 02 for the next etc)
[*]Example filename
titleinoneword_##_authorsurname.mp3

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Title: ## - [Section title] eg 01 - The End of the Honeymoon etc
Artist: Author name Myrtyle Reed
Album: Book title At the Sign of the Jack O'Lantern

THe file names keep the files together and in order , the ID tags are used in many mp3 players to keep chapters in albums and in playing order

So fix that - then look at the colored bit - you need to tell us what you are planning to say so it can be checked as OK - otherwise you have to record it again and it gets messy. Check another solo project and see what they say - it is really a case of replacing the words in [ ] with something valid for your book

Anne
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Thank you for all the help, although my guess is I'm still not adding all the jargon I need to. I realise now it's all the HTML symbolism just throwing me for a loop! (At least I can work on the recordings in between times. :? )
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It is more confusing with the coding - it's one of the reasons people find it easier to do something in a group project first , then they learn what is in the first post more easily . There is nothing in it that you do not need to know and use though :D

I'll go and set it up for you and then tell you what to do next.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You have a window and I have PMed you the password you will need - a soloist manages his own MW
You will need to enter in the titles field the rest of them - I put the first couple in , just use them as a pattern.

When you have uploaded a chapter you will need to enter the URL in the Listen link and in the edit field put the time(duration) of the file MM:SS and you can click the complete button. Then post something in the thread so that messages are sent to me and to any proof listener - just chapter 6 uploaded or something

We will stay here a day or so to see if we can get a proof listener, then move it to Going Solo

Have Fun :D

Anne
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Excellent... um, well, I go to the PM area and I'm "not allowed to send private messages"... which I guess means, I'm not allowed to view any either? *sigh* sorry, again... but still, gives me time to enjoy the book! (Sounds interesting? Believe me, it is! Scary & hilarious! I promise!)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll get some one to activate it - keep checking

Anne
Cori

Post by Cori »

PMs should be all okay now, Morlock and Anne ... let me know if not.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/jack_o_lantern_01_reed.mp3

(21:01)

Here is the first chapter. I was trying to fiddle with the MW but then decided I'd post this information here so I wouldn't lose it. If the copy stinks I'm already anticipating having to do it over. I've been doing voice recordings most of my life (since 2nd grade) so I shan't be shocked if it goes bad. Plus I had no idea, or just forgot, I'd had any nervousness over doing one before. :oops: silly me (And I have 3 more finished already to post after this one.)

I tried going to the MW cut and pasted the bits I needed to since I didn't see a choice on colour in the login register and it blew me off, so to speak. Ah, the joys, the glory and the dream.

D.
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You just need to type them in - the colour was just me showing you what to type

Anne