COMPLETE [SOLO] Roxana by Daniel Defoe - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, I'll add more sections. We can always add or subtract from the end of the section list as needed.

You'll probably want to change your first post to reflect a new target completion date. I have a suspicion this won't be done in 2 weeks. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Gitta

Post by Gitta »

How's this audiobook coming along. I'm quite interesting in reading/listening to it.

Bye
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Gitta wrote:How's this audiobook coming along. I'm quite interesting in reading/listening to it.

Bye
In the very first post of thread is a link, "Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!"

Click on that, and then put in your email address. When the project is ready to be listened to, it'll send you a one-time email. :)
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

I'd forgotten I'd put down May, rather than June. Target finish date end of June.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Tracks 5 and 6 need to be fiddled with and there are plenty more tracks that need to be uploaded.

I uploaded a track 7 that said 'section 8' at the beginning. I have since corrected this mistake and re-uploaded, but it has the same URL, so I guess there are two tracks.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I uploaded a track 7 that said 'section 8' at the beginning. I have since corrected this mistake and re-uploaded, but it has the same URL, so I guess there are two tracks.
The uploader renames the old track, so yes, there are two tracks for section 8 in the uploader. But only the most recent one can be downloaded from the MW. :)
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Ligeti:

Could you post a reply when you upload a section? That's the only way I'm notified that a section needs to be proof-listened.

Thanks.

-denny
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Okay, all edits of previous files complete.

Denny, I will be posting almost daily, at a likely rate of around two a day. I will let you know which tracks come when though. I have worked through each track and replaced all the pops I could find. I've also tried to retain the sound of the phrase over these 'patches'. How did I do? As I mentioned, tracks 2-5 were recorded using an inferior microphone (that I have subsequently stepped on accidentally and broke :!: ). These tracks will thus sound different, but I think they are of sufficient quality, if not as good as the others.
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Ligeti_Grieg wrote:Okay, all edits of previous files complete.

Denny, I will be posting almost daily, at a likely rate of around two a day. I will let you know which tracks come when though. I have worked through each track and replaced all the pops I could find. I've also tried to retain the sound of the phrase over these 'patches'. How did I do? As I mentioned, tracks 2-5 were recorded using an inferior microphone (that I have subsequently stepped on accidentally and broke :!: ). These tracks will thus sound different, but I think they are of sufficient quality, if not as good as the others.
I'll be catching up with PL'ing after the Friday graduation at my university.

-denny
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Are you a student, or are you going on behalf of someone?

I have just uploaded tracks 19 and 20. A strange problem seems to have developed, a strange sound that seems a fault with the microphone (something similar happened before, when I has resting my wrists on ice and it was touching the mircophone wires.) Anyway, noise removal has made track 19 okay, but there are a few moments in track 20 when a little sound creeps past the removal. I hope this track is okay and I will attempt to fix the problem before recording any more.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Something funny has happened to my microphone. It is still clear, but the sound quality has somewhat diminished. I think it is acceptable, but if you could have a listen to track 22, I will know if it is worth carrying on, or will I have to hunt around for a new microphone? (I want to buy a proper professional one, which I'm saving up for, but my friend probably has one.)
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Ligeti_Grieg wrote:Something funny has happened to my microphone. It is still clear, but the sound quality has somewhat diminished. I think it is acceptable, but if you could have a listen to track 22, I will know if it is worth carrying on, or will I have to hunt around for a new microphone? (I want to buy a proper professional one, which I'm saving up for, but my friend probably has one.)
Will do!

Now I'll be PL'ing daily -- school's out!

-denny
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Before providing these PL Notes, I would like to underscore that this is a compelling reading of Defoe's work, understated yet wrenching in its depiction of Roxana's dire situation with her first marriage and its aftermath.

Section 01
There are 8 seconds of silence before "End of Section One" when there is usually half as much.

There are 2 seconds of silence after "End of Section One." Rule of thumb is 5 seconds of silence for a recording under 30 minutes, and 10 seconds of silence for longer recordings.

Otherwise, reading in 01 is PL OK!

Section 02
Click at 7:04.

At 8:06 to 8:10 occurs "With some other husbands you may be unhappy but with a fool you'll be miserable," which is not in the text I have to proof from:

http://www.archive.org/stream/fortunesandmisfo00defouoft#page/192/mode/2up

There are 8 seconds of silence before "End of Section Two" when there is usually half as much.

Section 03
At 2:40, missing from the recording, the text reads "I should have observed, that it was about half a year ..."

[PL Note: This made me wonder if the reading was made from a different text than the one I was given for proofing. As I continued proofing, there were multiple instances of text not read or insertions that were read, when compared to the proofing text, which I am no longer annotating as they are numerous. I would appreciate knowing what text is being read from if possible, as there is no definitive text provided in the first message still. If not, I suggest a very lax PL level of "if it makes sense, it goes," which I am comforatble with].

6 seconds silence at 17:50.

15 seconds silence before "End of Section Three," where usually there are around 3-4 seconds.

-denny
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

I recorded Sections 2-4 with a different text, and attempted to 'proof read' out the differences. As you can tell, I was not very thorough.

All tracks have a ten seconds or thereabouts 'End of Section...' pause. Since I read the Wiki some time ago, it had slipped out of my mind that different track lengths required different length pauses at the end. I will go through and alter each as appropriate when your general listening is done. Assume, therefore, that all the shorter tracks will have this mistake.

I can delete any added sentences if you find them in 2-4. I looked at the content generally (although, as I said not thoroughly) and the only difference was the original punctuation marks, which, since Defoe played hard and fast with grammar, made the text much more sensical. There are some uncomfortable moments later on, with the archived texts, where the sentences just make no sense. Ha.

Do I just submit replacement tracks through the Magic Window, as before, thus replacing the un-proof-read ones? These, then, would become the track proper?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Do I just submit replacement tracks through the Magic Window, as before, thus replacing the un-proof-read ones? These, then, would become the track proper?
Yes, exactly. Thanks!

Good to hear you only read 2-4 with the other text. :) It's up to you if you want to wait to fix the end silences on the shorter sections now, or wait until Denny PL's them to see if there are any other fixes to be made on them.