[COMPLETE] The Oresteia, by Aeschylus - PL/ce

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hey Timberwolf (and other members of the furies chorus)
I marked up our part, here:
Chorus: The Furies

Let me know if you can see it ok.

Caeristhiona, I wasn't exactly sure about the beginning and ending. It looks to me as if we do our muttering and confused cries between lines spoken by the Ghost of Clytemnestra. I wasn't sure about the "Seize, seize, seize, seize--mark, yonder!" line. Is that us, or the ghost? Did I mark that section correctly?

And the very last bit, the "chant" -- do we read that? I think not, but thought I'd better ask :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Caet: You know my voice, so let me know if it will do for Agamemnon, or if you prefer, Orestes.

-denny
timberwolfmage

Post by timberwolfmage »

Caeristhiona wrote:1) You can do spooky voices. But only if you are a Fury.
*grins* Awesome.
kayray wrote:
Caeristhiona wrote:

4) That is a good idea, Kara. :) Care to provide the model for our Furies?

Yes! Will get to that asap!
Sounds good -- I'll wait till that arrives before I start recording then.
-- [url=http://www.trekandromeda.com][b]Rosalind Wills[/b][/url]
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

DSayers wrote:Caet: You know my voice, so let me know if it will do for Agamemnon, or if you prefer, Orestes.

-denny
Denny -

I have no idea who you are.

Just kidding. :) You will be a lovely Agamemnon (unless, of course YOU prefer Orestes, in which case you may have him). You are, of course, dead at the end of the first play, so that is the extent of your lines. But you do indeed sound very kingly (and wicked). :D

-- Caet
Last edited by Caeristhiona on October 3rd, 2006, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

kayray wrote:Caeristhiona, I wasn't exactly sure about the beginning and ending. It looks to me as if we do our muttering and confused cries between lines spoken by the Ghost of Clytemnestra. I wasn't sure about the "Seize, seize, seize, seize--mark, yonder!" line. Is that us, or the ghost? Did I mark that section correctly?

And the very last bit, the "chant" -- do we read that? I think not, but thought I'd better ask :)
Kara -- you did perfectly. Thank you so much for doing that! The chant is not spoken by the Furies, just as you guessed. It's more of a hymn to/about them.

A hint for all the Furies: please do emphasize meter in this reading. The Furies are written as sort of primal things, so if you DO want to give a chantlike rhythm to their lines it would be great. I trust your instincts, since you guys are both pretty experienced readers, but that's just my two cents worth. There's a strong metrical indication in the way the lines are translated anyway, so it's been made easy for you.

But that being said, Kara is fabulous with poetry. I had her for two sections of Beowulf. Whatever she says is probably completely true and perfect. :D

Oh yes, and sound scary. :wink:
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
timberwolfmage

Post by timberwolfmage »

A hint for all the Furies: please do emphasize meter in this reading. The Furies are written as sort of primal things, so if you DO want to give a chantlike rhythm to their lines it would be great. I trust your instincts, since you guys are both pretty experienced readers, but that's just my two cents worth. There's a strong metrical indication in the way the lines are translated anyway, so it's been made easy for you.
Gotcha. *nods*

Thanks for the marked up script, Kara. It'll make life a lot easier for me.
-- [url=http://www.trekandromeda.com][b]Rosalind Wills[/b][/url]
lindawilcox

Post by lindawilcox »

I would like to give CLYTEMNESTRA a try.
This is a great project! I just read the Oedipus Cycle and I'm ready for more Greek theatre.
One question: Does everything have to be in a certain accent? I speak American English so is that all right?
Thanks!
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

linda:

So do most of the people on this project. Well, maybe not most. But several.

All of which is to say, absolutely not.

Though if you COULD make Clytemnestra Scottish I'd be supremely amused and impressed.

Please note that you appear in all THREE plays. Of course you're the main character in the first two plays, and your ghost shows up in The Furies. You're billed as "Ghost of Clytemnestra." If you don't mind, please record your lines for all three plays in separate .wav's -- that's to say, not in one giant "clytemnestra" file that spans all 3 plays.

And let me just say that if you are one of the characters with a gigantic amount of lines, you are more than welcome to record them in more than one file, for ease of sending. Just be sure to designate which order they go in, for my sake. :)

--Caet

P.S. Just kidding, don't make her Scottish.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
lindawilcox

Post by lindawilcox »

Caeristhiona wrote:linda:

So do most of the people on this project. Well, maybe not most. But several.

All of which is to say, absolutely not.

Though if you COULD make Clytemnestra Scottish I'd be supremely amused and impressed.

Please note that you appear in all THREE plays. Of course you're the main character in the first two plays, and your ghost shows up in The Furies. You're billed as "Ghost of Clytemnestra." If you don't mind, please record your lines for all three plays in separate .wav's -- that's to say, not in one giant "clytemnestra" file that spans all 3 plays.

And let me just say that if you are one of the characters with a gigantic amount of lines, you are more than welcome to record them in more than one file, for ease of sending. Just be sure to designate which order they go in, for my sake. :)

--Caet

P.S. Just kidding, don't make her Scottish.
Thank you so much for explaining everything. I'll try my best.
strangebrooch

Post by strangebrooch »

I'd like to join!

I'm not sure what part I want, though. Here is a sample of my acting (it's for the Shakespeare's histories project); I will leave it in the capable hands of the project coordinator.
[size=84]For if hevene be on this erthe, and ese to any soule,
It is in cloister or in scole, by many skiles I fynde.
-- William Langland, [i]Piers Plowman[/i] X.299-300
http://www.dsproductions.org
[/size]
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

strangebrooch wrote:I'd like to join!

I'm not sure what part I want, though. Here is a sample of my acting (it's for the Shakespeare's histories project); I will leave it in the capable hands of the project coordinator.
Wow! Very dramatic reading! :D We don't have a lot of female parts left...but I do need a good, strong leader of the Chorus of Slavewomen. Interested?
-- Jeffrey Rowland
strangebrooch

Post by strangebrooch »

Sure, I could do that. :)
[size=84]For if hevene be on this erthe, and ese to any soule,
It is in cloister or in scole, by many skiles I fynde.
-- William Langland, [i]Piers Plowman[/i] X.299-300
http://www.dsproductions.org
[/size]
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Caeristhiona wrote: You will be a lovely Agamemnon (unless, of course YOU prefer Orestes, in which case you may have him). You are, of course, dead at the end of the first play, so that is the extent of your lines. But you do indeed sound very kingly (and wicked). :D

-- Caet
I've been called a lot things, including wicked, but never kingly ... though I did sing Arthur in Camelot, as a boy king, when in college theatre. Still, I envied Mordre ... I like the character roles; they may die out, but are they meaty!

-denny
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

strangebrooch wrote:Sure, I could do that. :)
Alright, your responsibility is basically to provide a recording of the Slavewomen's lines that everyone else can follow along with. Looking at kayray's posts in this thread gives a good idea of what's required. I'd suggest giving it a strong rhythm, and a slower reading -- enough that other people can listen to you and follow along easily. Other than that, sounds like you have good dramatic instincts. :D I'llleave it up to you.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
kayray

Post by kayray »

Ok here are the chorus parts for the Furies:
http://kayray.org/audiobooks/librivox/misc/chorus_furies_part1.wav (80MB)
http://kayray.org/audiobooks/librivox/misc/chorus_furies_part2.wav (88MB)

And, for the convenience of the other chorus members, here's the whole thing in mp3, for listening-along:
http://kayray.org/audiobooks/librivox/misc/chorus_furies.mp3 (30MB)

You'll notice a couple of small flubs -- I said "or" once instead of "our", and "flittering" instead of flitting. Didn't seem big enough to bother re-doing. I did re-do the several larger errors of course :) And I corrected, on the fly, a few apparent typos. (near the end, text had "thorough" where sense required "through," and a "his" that should have been "this") Hope it's all ok.

Oh, the "muttering" and "startled cries" at the beginning just sound LAME. I hope that with proper layering and editing the lameness will disappear. :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)