COMPLETE: Multilingual Short Works Collection-le

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Leni wrote:Hi, kattekliek

Thank you very much for your PLing and helpful comments! I will send a message to owly.
I had some PM-contact with owly that same day; she was happy with the indications on how to edit and sounded very enthousiastic. But I haven't heard from her since (sent a PM myself a few days ago). I hope I didn't scare her away with my very (too?) precise PL! But probably not; most probable is that 'real life' tasks got in the way for a while. Let's just wait & see :)
Do you live in Europe, Canada, Australia, ... any country where death date of author determines if a book is in the Public Domain? Come to legamus.eu to record books published in 1923 or later, written by authors dead since >70 years!
owly

Post by owly »

Hi all well, I rerecorded the file and this time I tried to find all the clicks and hacking words. My microphone was a smidgen to cloose to my mouth but I tried to equilise it. I hope that was the right thing to do http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/msw001_eftertorgdagen_benedictsson_at.mp3

A note, the man in the text is supposed to be drunk which is why I tried to slightly slur his speech in the beginning. :D
"So many books, so little time."
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Hi owly, nice to see you back :) I'll listen to the file later on today.

However, it wouldn't have been necessary to rerecord anything but the title; the rest of the reading was fine, and the clicks and few mistakes in it were possible to edit. It takes some learning and getting used to how to do it, but then usually it is much quicker than rerecording. And also one never has the guarantee that recording the entire file again will not give mistakes at the same or at other places ... I myself can hardly record 2 phrases at a stretch without having to rerecord something at one place or the other and I really admire people who can read a whole story without a glitch :).

But I'll get back to you later on today.
Do you live in Europe, Canada, Australia, ... any country where death date of author determines if a book is in the Public Domain? Come to legamus.eu to record books published in 1923 or later, written by authors dead since >70 years!
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

kattekliek wrote:But I'll get back to you later on today.
As promised :) I compared your previous and current versions of the recording. You did a good job on omitting the tongue clicks :) But while the first recording was quite silent at some spots, the current recording was too loud. There were many places with so called clipping: the microphone could not record the sound without distorting it. Equalisation does not solve this problem, because actual information gets lost at recording and it cannot be recovered. You can see that by the flat waves in Audacity.

The first recording was already very good; I did the editting in that file at the 4 spots as mentioned before and pasted in the correct title of the new recording. This version has been uploaded, new length is 9:22 and PL is OK.

It can be quite hard to keep a good and constant distance to the microphone. However, usually it is better to sit a bit too far away from it than too close. Also, to prevent pops and breathing sounds, you can talk a little bit next to the mic in stead of right in front of it. A good way of finding out the right distance and getting used to it, is to record some texts in the beginning while keeping an eye on the Audacity file. Target on waves at around 0.5, and none of the louder parts should clip. Later on when you've gotten the hang of it, you can record again with only the text in front of you :)
owly

Post by owly »

Thank you so much ! :D
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thank you very much, kattekliek and owly!
Leni
=================
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

You're welcome :) However, I forgot to upload the new file yesterday evening, so I did that now.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/msw001_eftertorsdagen_benedictsson_at.mp3
owly

Post by owly »

kattekliek wrote:You're welcome :) However, I forgot to upload the new file yesterday evening, so I did that now.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/msw001_eftertorsdagen_benedictsson_at.mp3
Could you change the title part of the filename as well so that "eftertorsdagen" is "eftertorgdagen" ? This was a good learning experience so hopefully my next recording will need less work :-)
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

owly wrote:
kattekliek wrote:You're welcome :) However, I forgot to upload the new file yesterday evening, so I did that now.

Could you change the title part of the filename as well so that "eftertorsdagen" is "eftertorgdagen" ?
Whoops, I forgot that! (although in the ID3-tag it's OK). Leni, could you change it on the server, please?
This was a good learning experience so hopefully my next recording will need less work :-)
Yes, it's all looking quite complicated in the beginning ... but for anyone having regular general computer skills, Audacity will reveal its secrets quickly :) I have been registered at LV for half a year now and I find it incredible how much I learnt since then. Not the least because of all the kind and helpful folks over here at the Librivox forum :clap: I would recommend reading through the wikipages of LV, and also this thread is great! Many tips to increase quality along with decreasing time and effort spent on recordings and (especially) editting.
owly

Post by owly »

Yes, it's all looking quite complicated in the beginning ... but for anyone having regular general computer skills, Audacity will reveal its secrets quickly :) I have been registered at LV for half a year now and I find it incredible how much I learnt since then. Not the least because of all the kind and helpful folks over here at the Librivox forum :clap: I would recommend reading through the wikipages of LV, and also this thread is great! Many tips to increase quality along with decreasing time and effort spent on recordings and (especially) editting.
My greatest quibble about LibriVox is that it relies too much on the Forum system and the Wiki. It's really confusing for a beginner to try to find it all. For ex. I found a few good video tutorials but only by chance. I think if ALL the beginners info could be collected to a clear, separate web page more people would dare to volunteer, like my newly retired dad :-)
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

owly wrote:My greatest quibble about LibriVox is that it relies too much on the Forum system and the Wiki. It's really confusing for a beginner to try to find it all. For ex. I found a few good video tutorials but only by chance. I think if ALL the beginners info could be collected to a clear, separate web page more people would dare to volunteer, like my newly retired dad :-)
I was already very used to internet forums and am text oriented; that's probably why I never noticed any problem with it. But different people have different learning preferences - and e.g. those videos are great for visually oriented people. I thought that these were of a rather new date (Philchenevert putting a lot of his time in them) and still a good way of presenting them to the community must be found. The more we can cater different types of people, the more volunteers we can recruit and keep in the end :)

But we are slow-chatting in Leni's topic; let's move to a place where more people will see it and that is more fit for it, e.g. over here.
paola toldo

Post by paola toldo »

Dear Leni,

I’ve listened to the file section 17 in the MW and also the previous files of “Cavalleria Rusticana” because I couldn't see the first PL-ing notes, but I have not found any difference... Do I have to proceed PL-ing to the entire recording and post here my notes “ex novo”?

Thank you for giving me more information about PL-ing. :wink:

Bye
Paola
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Paola, sorry for the delay in replying. I will check the files we have and give you an answer soon.
Leni
=================
paola toldo

Post by paola toldo »

Thank you, Leni. No hurry, take your time. :)
Torreblanca

Post by Torreblanca »

Hi Leni,

I recently uploaded a recording I did for another section within Librivox. I was advised by Karen to upload it here.

The text I read is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YW-uMMB-tmhCu2gPu6CUlfcl4fkRWe2U7FS-_1GCn6E/edit?hl=en_US&authkey=CKmznboL&pli=1
The authors were: The Grimm Brothers
The name of the work: Pulgarcito
Duration: ~16 minutes
The name of the MP3 is: msw001_pulgarcito_grimm_ct.mp3

This is my first time recording. My name may remain as 'Torreblanca' throughout the site. I do have a web site: www.torreblanca.ca

Hope this is all you need. Take care,

César