COMPLETE: The Wit and Humor of America, Vol 06 by Various

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

The Wit and Humor of America, Volume 06 by Various. Edited by Marshall Pinckney Wilder (1859 - 1915).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-wit-and-humor-of-america-volume-6-by-various/
Summary text: The Wit and Humor of America is a 10 volume series. In this, the sixth volume, 55 short stories and poems have been gathered from 42 authors. This volume is sure to delight listeners. (Summary by Linette Geisel)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording. NOTE: Sections noted with birth/death dates are not PD 70 years.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1 month of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after one month, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 01 February 2012.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19324
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

This project is looking for a DPL: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Wit and Humor of America, Volume Six. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Title, by Author."

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Title]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book (55 – When the Allegash Drive Goes Through by Holman F. Day), say (in addition):
      "End of The Wit and Humor of America, Volume Six, Edited by Marshall Pinckney Wilder."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.13. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    witandhumorofamerica06_##_various.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. witandhumorofamerica06_26_various.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Title: ## - [Section title] (Copy / paste from the Magic Window)
    Artist: Author name
    Album: The Wit and Humor of America, Volume 06
    Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org

(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dl - aradlaw
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.

Samanem :D
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Linny won't be with us on this installment of the series, unfortunately, so I'll be working hard to fill her shoes! Fortunately for all us (and especially me) she already had virtually all the prep work done, bless her!

it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Be it known, before the MW is up, that the following items have been requested in advance:

by martykrz:

09 - Mr. Dooley on the Game of Football
36 - Casey at the Bat

by reecedawg:

06 - The Bear Story that Alex "1st Maked Up His-Own-Se'f"

Samanem
|
linny

Post by linny »

Dennis,
Thank you very much for taking on this project. I have PMed all the volume 5 readers. I'm sure they will be thrilled to finally see volume 6 available. Please let me know if you have any questions along the way.

A special thank you for holding those sections for Marty and Matt.

Be well,
Linny
mrpatch

Post by mrpatch »

Not that it really matters, but as a matter of interest, it looks like there's a lot of sections in this volume that were also in Volume 5.
My catalogue page | Portfolio: Mr Patch's Pictures
“By Gad,” exclaimed Welsh, “I’d manage a nunnery for £500!”
“I daresay you would, but a suicidal, and possibly homicidal, lunatic isn’t a nunnery.” (The Lunatic At Large, by J. Storer Clouston)
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Librivox encourages a "choice of voice" anyway, so maybe someone else will take advantage of the opportunity to record one of the ones that comes up again!

|
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

I'd like Latter-Day Warnings by Oliver Wendell Holmes, The Society on the Stanislaus by Bret Harte and My Philosofy by James Whitcomb Riley.

-denny
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Be back with a MW shortly Samanem :)
...and there is is, let me know if you need anything.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Thanks for your help David!

I'll have it populated shortly...

:D
|
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

OK, the MW is up and ready to go. Let me know if any links don't work correctly!

|
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

I'd like to claim part 01 - The Grains of Truth by Bill Nye.

This is my first recording, and as for a name in the catalog, I'm happy with "Andrew Fiorillo."
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Zeus wrote:I'd like to claim part 01 - The Grains of Truth by Bill Nye.

This is my first recording, and as for a name in the catalog, I'm happy with "Andrew Fiorillo."
Hi Zeus and welcome to Librivox! Before signing up for any sections, please complete the preliminary test process so we can check your recording setup. Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording.

Our format needs to be in mp3, mono, 44,100Hz, 16-bit, 128kbps and usually louder than most people think! :D This is so all our files can be handled on the far end uniformly. The links will also explain how to upload here at Librivox. People here are very helpful and friendly, so don't be afraid to ask any questions you have along the way.

But the first step will be to upload a 1-Minute Test Recording for each reader: 1-Minute Test The test is uploaded and then the url is posted as a new topic thread in the Listeners Wanted Forum. Instructions are in the link.

This test is of course not for any kind of audition purposes, just to make sure it fits our format technically and that your levels are okay. Once you complete this step, and your test is marked [OK], let me know in this thread and I can get you signed up for reading a section! Let me know if you have any questions or problems.

|
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Zeus -

I've been informed that I can go ahead and put you in for your section and we can work out your test along the way, so I'm putting you down for Section 1. Sorry for the confusion. I'm sending you a PM too to make sure you get this meesage!

Thanks,

|
durlon

Post by durlon »

hi, I'd like to do sections:

11 THE BALLAD OF GRIZZLY GULCH

48 THE TALKING HORSE
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Hi durlon! Glad you could join us!

I'll put you in for 11 and 48. Hope you enjoy them!

|