COMPLETE [LATIN:poetry] Eclogae, Publii Vergili Maronis - lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Eclogae, Publii Vergili Maronis.

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/eclogae-by-publius-vergilius-maro/

This book was a bestseller in ancient Rome, and still holds a fascination today. Held to be divinely inspired not only by the Romans themselves, but by the Medieval Catholic church, Eclogae is one of the most beloved collections of Latin short poetry.

This particular recording will be in the original Latin. A translated recording has just been finished:
http://librivox.org/the-eclogues-by-publius-vergilius-maro/

Half of the poems are monologues, while the other half are dialogues between several recurring characters. You are strongly encouraged to sign up for ALL the parts read by your character (Menalcas, Damon, et c.) if you sign up for a dialogue. All the parts are extremely short, and extremely simple. Have fun! :D

(And please, feel free to correct my translations of the LibriVox disclaimers into Latin... I'm a little uncertain as to how to render modern concepts in ancient languages.)

Caeristhiona wrote:My idea is that we will allow people to use any accepted Latin pronunciation that they choose [...]. The meter should be followed, however, since it is a poem. But my finding is that the meter sort of carries itself along.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the blue number, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: October 31, 2008 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/229
  5. Please claim chapters (the blue numbers)!

Blue = available
    Red = claimed but not yet done
    Yellow = done, PL and/or edit needed
    Green = done & PL-OK

As you can see, we plan to have two versions of Ecloga 1 and Ecloga 3, a multi-voice reading (every part read by a different person) and a single-voice reading that has already been completed. Feel free to claim any of the blue parts, but only 1 character at a time, and we'd like to get different voices within one Ecloga.

Ecloga 01 (multi-voice reading) - DONE
    01a - Meliboeus (DONE by Leni)
    01b - Tityrus (DONE by Hefyd)

Ecloga 01 (single-voice reading)- DONE (DONE by Smarties)

Ecloga 02 - claimed/done by Smarties

Ecloga 03 (multi-voice reading) -
    03a - Menalcas (DONE by hefyd)
    03b - Damoetas (DONE by RuthieG)
    03c - Palaemon (DONE by Leni)

Ecloga 03 (single-voice reading) - DONE (done by Smarties)

Ecloga 04 (DONE by Leni)

Ecloga 05 - DONE
    05a - Menalcas (DONE by Leni, Oct 13 2008)
    05b - Mopsus (DONE by clayjs)

Ecloga 06 - DONE (DONE by hefyd)

Ecloga 07
    07a - Meliboeus (DONE by hefyd)
    07b - Corydon (DONE by lezer)
    07c - Thyrsis (DONE by Leni)

Ecloga 08
    08a - Narrator (DONE by Julila)
    08b - Damon (DONE by RuthieG)
    08c - Alphesiboeus (DONE by Alan Brown)

Ecloga 09 - DONE
    09a - Lycidas (DONE by Alan Brown)
    09b - Moeris (DONE by FrZeile)

Ecloga 10 - DONE (DONE by hefyd)

BC admin link
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz preferred, 32 and 22.5 also acceptable
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Hoc acroama Librivoci est. Omnia Librivocis acroamata in usum publicum sunt. Si de aliquo certior fieri vis, aut conscribere vis, veni sodes ad Librivox-punctum-org."
    • If you wish, say:
      "[Name of character] acroama a [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address] est."
    • Say:
      "Eclogae, Publii Vergili Maronis. Ecloga [Number]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      Haec est ecloga [##] ex Eclogae Publii Vergili Maronis."
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "Finis Eclogarum, Publii Vergili Maronis."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

List of numbers to use in the disclaimer:

Ecloga 1 - Ecloga Prima
    Ecloga 2 - Ecloga Secunda
    Ecloga 3 - Ecloga Tertia
    Ecloga 4 - Ecloga Quarta
    Ecloga 5 - Ecloga Quinta
    Ecloga 6 - Ecloga Sexta
    Ecloga 7 - Ecloga Septima
    Ecloga 8 - Ecloga Octava
    Ecloga 9 - Ecloga Nona
    Ecloga 10 - Ecloga Decima
    SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: For the character parts, please leave 3 seconds of silence between sections of dialogue, so that the parts can be easily edited into a single file! Please always read the disclaimer!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    eclogae_##_vergil.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your chapter number. (eclogae_01_vergil.mp3)

Please be sure to use the Arabic numerals for this, not the Roman numerals!

If you are recording a character part, please record in the .wav format, to make the editing process easier and cleaner. Save files as:

eclogae_###_[character].wav (eclogae_03a_menalcas.wav)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: Ecloga ##
    Artist: Publius Vergilius Maro
    Album: Eclogae

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lz - lezer
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    - your name as you want it to appear in the LibriVox catalog,
    - your webpage URL (if applicable)
    - the runtime of the recording in format hh:mm:ss
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Caeristhiona on February 1st, 2007, 11:58 am, edited 8 times in total.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Wow, Caet! :) Perhaps you'd like to put cross-links in the two versions you put up?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Gesine, your wish is my command. :D Cross-links duly added.

You're not wanting to take a section of either/or, are you?
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Let me get rid of some of my backlog and I'll get back to it. Sorry you haven't had a response yet - but then, Latin was never going to be the most popular language! :D
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Notice the completion date for a 60-page long book is January.

I didn't really expect people to be snatching this up. If need be I will do this as a solo recording, though! :D
-- Jeffrey Rowland
kristin

Post by kristin »

If you can handle a newby MC for two of your projects, I'll gladly MC this as well as the English version.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Absolutely!
-- Jeffrey Rowland
kristin

Post by kristin »

Great, I'm being trained this week so I should have all the little letters up and the projects added to the to come pages soon.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

No hurry at all. As has previously been pointed out, Latin-language books are not likely to get snatched up very quickly at all.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
kristin

Post by kristin »

Hi C, I've added my initials and will get this put in the to come section soon. I'm having a little computer glitch right now that makes me very nervous about editing that page at the moment. I hope to have it remedied in the next few days.
peastman

Post by peastman »

Well, I definitely do not have the necessary skills to record something in Latin. But I'm looking forward to listening to it!

Peter
kristin

Post by kristin »

I will be gone until Nov. 1st. I might have internet access at the hotel I'm staying at, if so I will try to check in occationally. Otherwise, I'll be back next Wednesday.
Asaf Bartov

Post by Asaf Bartov »

What sort of a reading is this to be? Shall we be using the reconstructed Latin pronunciation (as in Allen's Vox Latina? Shall we be reading in proper meter?
Asaf Bartov
http://ijon.livejournal.com
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Oh, I would not assume that everyone who reads Latin is very familiar with Allen. My idea is that we will allow people to pronounce the language how they choose, since that's standard for foreign language projects (we don't, for example, mandate that all the readers of Don Quixote[/] use a Madrid, rather than a Castellan, South American, or Mexican, pronunciation). The meter should be followed, however, since it is a poem. But my finding is that the meter sort of carries itself along.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
smarties

Post by smarties »

Hi I'm italian and I've studied latin at school, I can read latin as I was taught if you agree.
I can do the first ecloga.
let me know.