COMPLETE [SOLO] Roxana by Daniel Defoe - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Roxana: The Fortunate Mistress Or, a History of the Life and Vast Variety of Fortunes of Mademoiselle de Beleau, Afterwards Called the Countess de Wintselsheim by Daniel Defoe (1659/61-1731) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/roxana-the-fortunate-mistress-by-daniel-defoe/
The full title of the novel is 'Roxana: The Fortunate Mistress Or, a History of the Life and Vast Variety of Fortunes of Mademoiselle de Beleau, Afterwards Called the Countess de Wintselsheim'. The novel concerns the story of an unnamed "fallen woman", the second time Defoe created such a character (the first was a similar female character in Moll Flanders). In Roxana, a woman who takes on various pseudonyms, including "Roxana," describes her fall from wealth thanks to abandonment by a "fool" of a husband and movement into prostitution upon his abandonment. Roxana moves up and down through the social spectrum several times.(summary by ??????????
Target completion date:31/06/11
Text source: http://www.archive.org/details/fortunesandmisfo00defouoft

Type of proof-listening required: Standard

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Section [number] of Roxana - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
  • Say:
    "Roxana, by Daniel Defoe. [Chapter]"
For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Section [number] of Roxana, by Daniel Defoe. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    End of Section [#]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Roxana, by Daniel Defoe."
There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename
roxana_##_defoe.mp3

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Title: Section ##
Artist: Daniel Defoe
Album: Roxana

[*]Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: tg - TriciaG
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]
Last edited by Ligeti_Grieg on May 17th, 2011, 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Sorry - I hadn't noticed this when I answered your other - you almost certainly find the Penguin Version is not PD - they can claim copyright by modernising the language for example so don't read from it unless you are sure that edition is PD.

Anne
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If it is the same book - there is one on PG too (I can't check , google books work best in the USA :evil: ) It's about Roxana but the poster will need to check it is the same

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi Edmund

I was about to try and fix the first post when I came upon your statement that you had already read the book from the Penguin Classic text and red lights and and flashing signals began. We do not know if that version is in the Public Domain so before I can go any further I need to know.
Do Penguin claim copyright of the book ?
Is the text the same as that in the links above ?
I'm really sorry to be the voice of doom but we can not put copyright material into our catalogue . I am hoping the texts are the same but would have to say most publishers love modernising the language and abridging the writing to cope with "Modern Tastes"
I'll wait for you to check things before going any further

Anne
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

I phoned Penguin and the text is indeed copyrighted. Upon reading through, it is identical.
The edition I have is actually more true to the original, because it leaves in all the spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. It was prepared for accuracy, not for edit. Nevertheless, I will change copies, but mostly because the website is a lot cooler to read than silly paper.
I dream of a day when people use virtually no paper at all.

That done, the project is still ready to go.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hmmm. You don't have most of the template filled out, such as how you're naming the files and the ID tags. However, you said you had most of this recorded already?

Go ahead and upload the first 2 files to my folder: tg - TriciaG and I'll check them over for technicals, etc.

If all is good, then I'll take on the MC'ing for this project and get you your Magic Window.
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

I hope everything works out. This is a wonderful book, and more proof, if any were needed, of Defoe's ability to provide telling detail on experiences that are far afield from his own life experience. As far as I'm concerned, he's the first English novelist ...

Golly, Crusoe? Holy cow, and what about Moll Flanders? hold on, AND Plague Years? and the little read but phenomenal Captain Singleton? (Read the Wiki entry on that one to begin to understand how revolutionary this author was in the 1700's ... really, do, you'll be amazed). Henry Fielding is the only novelist at that early date in Defoe's league of authors.

This is definitely PD, somewhere or other. I congratulate you on your choice of a project.

I will be most pleased if I'm selected as the DPL for Roxana. Bravo! I loved reading it as a book, and will savor listening to it, too, to every last word. You can check my various Defoe projects below to gauge my background, having read for LibriVox this author.

-denny
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

I have two tech problems. The first is that I can't open the 'contacts' list in order to contact a techie.

Secondly, I went to link to the uploader on Wikipedia and it asked me for a username and password. I provided that which logs me on to this and it didn't like it, so I cannot upload anything. I assume the uploader, when I can see it, will tell me how to upload to a particular person.

Please could I have some help.

Also, I have not done that much. I was waiting to see if it is suitable before doing very much. I changed microphone after about three sections, which reduced the hiss, but I think the earlier ones are acceptable. This will be worth checking.

Also, I think I'm doing okay with my first person woman voice without sounding like a pantomime dame or a bad joke about mother-in-laws. :lol:

Please inform me of any further things missing from the project info. I thought track names all had to be standardised, so they would always be the same. (?)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The first is that I can't open the 'contacts' list in order to contact a techie.
I have no idea what contacts list you're referring to. :? We don't have any techies on call; problems are usually resolved in the project thread or in a new thread in the "Need Help? Got Advice?" part of the forums.

The uploader instructions are in the first post, the part starting with this:
Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
I've highlighted in red the things that need to change in your template. If there's no translator, you can just remove that part. But we need a sample file name and sample ID tags. Also, the "???" parts need to be nailed down. (What text are you reading from - provide the link, and who wrote the summary. The summary must be written by you or from Wikipedia or some other public domain source. We cannot use a copyrighted summary in the catalog.)

Hope this helps clarify.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Also, note that Denny above proposed to be your prooflistener. :D
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Denny,
Your username is not on the upload list, so to whom do I upload it?
Still on to finish end of June.

And it needs to be in mp3, doesn't it?

Edmund 'Nog'
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes, it must be MP3.

Upload it to my folder. I'll PL the first one to make sure everything is OK, including the tech specs (which Denny as DPL doesn't necessarily check).

Post the upload link that comes up when the upload is finished.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/Roxana, Part II.mp3

I changed the microphone at part either three or four, but I'll upload them tomorrow.

Nog.