Modern books that you wish we could record.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Cori

Post by Cori »

Ooooh, Alan, I have The Siege of Swayne Castle by R.C. Sherriff ... would be another great read here.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Some_Old_Bird

Post by Some_Old_Bird »

there is alot of great ancient chinese literature i wish we could record but the translations aren't in the public domain yet.

if i had to pick just one i'd love to record The Naked Earth by Eileen Chang. I explained why in another post but here it goes again:

I doubt anyone other than me and the Library of Congress (whose copy I had to photocopy) has a copy of this book. The book is called The Naked Earth by Eileen Chang. It was originally written in the 1950s in Chinese. The author was a mainland Chinese who fled to Hong Kong after the Communists usurped control of the Mainland. She was commissioned to write two novels that make the Communist Party look bad by the American government and The Naked Earth is one of the two. She wrote it in Chinese and then translated it to English. The problem is, it didn't sell widely among English readers and has been out of print since the 50s. Also it irreverently mentioned Chiang Kai-shek in one chapter and was banned in Taiwan for that reason for a long time. Today, Chinese versions in Taiwan are not hard to come by but the English version is virtually impossible to find. The publishing company that first published it in English is closed down as of long ago. It doesn't even have an ISBN number. So I was hoping I could record my copy and on this site so it could reach the ears of listeners the world over. The author was a master storyteller and even in translation her works are resplendent. But due to the political situation she was born in, she was only really known by overseas Chinese and eventually died in obscurity. I don't want Ms. Chang's works to vanish the way humanity let her vanish so I hope the Admins. would let me record this book. I think this is a grand opportunity for Librivox to open the world to some new and astounding literature. The problem is am not sure if "forgotten/abandoned by history" = "in the public domain"

~王鳴龍

(gotta love that copy+paste sh*t)
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

jollyrogered wrote:Douglas Adams would be wonderful. I would love to do Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand!
I haven't read Atlas Shrugged yet, but I've heard good things about it. Thomas Sowell's works would also be good to read as they are so accessible and written in an clear and uncomplicated style.
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

I think the Ink heart series would be great to record, since it is really all about the power of reading aloud ;)
Ailina

Post by Ailina »

The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath). Hands down.

I would LOVE to read this.
- 'Ailina in Louisiana

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ailinawillis
Personal Writings: http://ailinawillis.blogspot.com
Hilara

Post by Hilara »

I'd love for all the Richard Dawkins and Robert Anton Wilson books to be read! :D
-Hitha.
Robinsgirl

Post by Robinsgirl »

The Silver Sword. :)
Robert Frost is my hero!
sohana

Post by sohana »

Wolf Hall- Hillary Mantle
Midnight's Children- Salman Rushdie
100 Year's of Solitude- Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Beloved- Toni Morrison
White Noise- Don Delillo
Their eyes were watching God- Zora Neale Hurston
Black Boy-Richard Wright
anjieliu

Post by anjieliu »

Extremely Loud and Incrediby Close by Jonathan Safran Foer!
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears. With one reader for each of the vantage points. One of my favorite books of all time.

:thumbs:
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|
Vandermast

Post by Vandermast »

Fingerpost is a brilliant book! :D
tattiebogle

Post by tattiebogle »

All of the Lucia & Mapp books by E F Benson and the two written by Tom Holt with the same characters.
Anything by Brahms & Simon.
Both of David Niven's biographical works: the Moon's a Balloon & Bring On The Empty Horses.
All of Nancy Mitford's books, especially Love In A Cold Climate, The Pursuit Of Love and The Blessing.
Any of Joyce Grenfell's "sketches" - especially Don't Do That, George.

"Laughter is the best medicine" - but why wait till you are ill?
Tattiebogle
embroidered flower

Post by embroidered flower »

any of the HOOD series by Stephen Lawhead and "on the night you were born" by Nancy Tillman because I love to read it out loud!
Ernst Pattynama

Post by Ernst Pattynama »

... a dramatic reading of Iris Murdoch's THE BELL ...
We are never so ridiculous for the qualities we have as for those we pretend to.
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Just mentioning ... we are currently setting up legamus.eu, where books published in 1923 or later, and written (and translated if applicable) by people who died >70 years ago (now: >1940) can be recorded by narrators who live in countries where these books are in the public domain (= almost anywhere outside the USA). There might be some books in this topic as well that would be possible to record over there.
Do you live in Europe, Canada, Australia, ... any country where death date of author determines if a book is in the Public Domain? Come to legamus.eu to record books published in 1923 or later, written by authors dead since >70 years!