COMPLETE: Shakespeare and Music by Christopher Wilson - ek

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Shakespeare and Music by Christopher Wilson (1874-1919).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/shakespeare-and-music-by-christopher-wilson/
Shakespeare's plays are full of music: love songs, comic ditties, serious ballads, and songs for witches and spirits. Over the centuries musicians and composers have also created musical adaptations based on Shakespeare's plays. Composer Christopher Wilson's Shakespeare and Music (1922) documents the musical history of each play across various genres, including opera and incidental music. (Summary by Elizabeth Klett)

1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is January 1, 2012.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/35721
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

======================================================

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =======================================================
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of [Shakespeare and Music]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Shakespeare and Music by Christopher Wilson. Section #."

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Section #."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Shakespeare and Music by Christopher Wilson."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    shakespearemusic_##_wilson.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. shakespearemusic_01_wilson.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: 01 - Christopher Wilson: A Memoir
    Artist: Christopher Wilson
    Album: Shakespeare and Music

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ek - gloriana
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Well, this sounds like me! May I have King Lear and Measure for Measure, please?
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Well sure you can - thanks! :)
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I'm playing around with a new mic, so I've recorded one of the wee sections, "Timon of Athens":

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ek/shakespearemusic_24_wilson.mp3
(4:03)
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

As a total opera fanatic, I'd be remiss if I didn't request the following sections: 13, 16, and 19 (Macbeth, The Merry Wives of Windsor, and Othello, respectively). There are other Shakespeare plays that have been turned into operas—in fact, all save for Titus Andronicus—but these plays gave us the three great Shakespearean operas by Verdi: Macbeth, Otello, and Falstaff.

Just for fun, here's some Youtube clips of the music from each opera:

Macbeth: "Pietà, rispetto, amore" (Macbeth's Act 4, sc. 3 aria)
Otello: "Già nella notte densa" (Otello's and Desdemona's Act 1 love duet)
Falstaff: Tutto nel mondo è burla... Tutti gabbati! (Finale)
reecedawg

Post by reecedawg »

Could I please claim 17 and 23?
Thanks!
Matt
"After the dazzle of day is gone,
Only the dark, dark night shows to my eyes the stars;
After the clangor of organ majestic, or chorus, or perfect band,
Silent, athwart my soul, moves the symphony true."
Walt Whitman
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Sure - thanks, Nullifidian and Matthew! And thanks for the video clips, Nullifidian - I've seen Falstaff live but it's been a while. And I've also seen Zeffirelli's Otello, but never the Macbeth opera.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

I would like to claim the following sections:

03 - Antony & Cleopatra
09 - Henry IV
10 - Henry VIII

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by gloriana »

Great - thanks, Algy!
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

gloriana wrote:I'm playing around with a new mic, so I've recorded one of the wee sections, "Timon of Athens":

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ek/shakespearemusic_24_wilson.mp3
(4:03)
Any chance that you would like to join some of the other distinugished readers in the following project:
http://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=31710

Cheers

Algy
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by gloriana »

Hey Algy -

I just bought a Blue Yeti, and it looks like you've got a few samples of that particular mic already...
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi

Now that I am sporting a very complicated temporary denture, I'd like to try to record the Coriolanus section, please. You can reject it if I sound Venusian...

Regards

Martin
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi

Actually, I've tried a test recording and find things are not too bad with the prosthesis - so may I also claim the last 3 sections?

That makes Sections 06, 26, 27, 28.

Best,
Martin
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by gloriana »

Martin, I'm so glad you're back! :clap: Of course I'd be happy to assign you those sections.

Algy, thanks for section 3!