"Proof-Listening" Procedure Discussion

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Split off from the Completed Pilgrim's Progress thread

Joy does have a really nice reading voice. I really enjoyed listening to her reading of the Happy Prince and other Tales.

As for the repeat, occassionally we get a missed edit in our files... we are considering adding a step to the process where we encourage our projects to have a final listen through before we upload/catalog the files....
Last edited by thistlechick on January 6th, 2006, 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

thistlechick wrote:we are considering adding a step to the process where we encourage our projects to have a final listen through before we upload/catalog the files....
Though this is a great idea in theory, it probably won't work in practice - particularly with a long work like Pilgrim's Progress. It really requires a fresh ear.

To be honest, I'm certain that I'm not the only one who nabbed it as soon as I noticed it was available. We have lots of folks here who are not only a part of this project, but who really enjoy listening to the work of others. I suspect that I just happen to be the first person to have caught it this time.

But I'm sure that any errors would be caught by the folks right here pretty early on - errors that the reader would probably miss due to too much familiarity with the work.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

the idea would be to parcel out chapters for checking before we catalog & upload - so each chap would have a fresh ear!
kayray

Post by kayray »

but... the thought of all that additional organizational work makes me feel slightly ill...
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Me too. And beeing "forced" to listen a sole chapter out of context is not much fun either. I?d rather listen to whole books and give feedback then. I think everybody would rather have it that way.
Everybody always is a proof-listener.
A special-proof-listen stage? ff-f-ff-*judder*-*shake*ff-f-f-ff
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
thadine

Post by thadine »

It definitely would help to have others listen to a recording - I do listen to each of mine before submitting, but often it just kind of all runs together after a while, and you don't pick things up. Perhaps it would be good to have an outline of what sort of errors to submit? (i.e It is easy enough to edit things that don't require additional recording, but anything that does, would probably have to be fairly significant). We can post each chapter as it is done in the project's thread, and people can proof-listen to them, before a project is completed and catalogued. A deadline by which final error-submissions can be posted would be useful. Perhaps when a project is finished, we can change it's status to 'REVIEW' and then a week after that, it can be switched to 'COMPLETE' and catalogued, and people will just have to live with any errors left after that.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Stephan wrote:Me too. And beeing "forced" to listen a sole chapter out of context is not much fun either. I?d rather listen to whole books and give feedback then. I think everybody would rather have it that way.
Everybody always is a proof-listener.
A special-proof-listen stage? ff-f-ff-*judder*-*shake*ff-f-f-ff
Well, luckily we wouldn't "force" anyone to do anything.... so you won't have to worry about that...
~ Betsie
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

thadine wrote:A deadline by which final error-submissions can be posted would be useful. Perhaps when a project is finished, we can change it's status to 'REVIEW' and then a week after that, it can be switched to 'COMPLETE' and catalogued, and people will just have to live with any errors left after that.
That's GENIUS! Why didn't I think of that *smacks forehead*

Thank you so much Thadine for that suggestion.... I think that will make the process work really smoothly, without needing to create a new forum for "Listeners Wanted" ... We'll just need to let people know what "REVIEW" means and to look for that label if they are intersted in helping by listening.
~ Betsie
kayray

Post by kayray »

Thadine! What a fantastic idea. You're brilliant :) We've been stewing over this issue for weeks and none of us ever thought of such an elegant solution.

Kara
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

INDEED! GREAT IDEA thadine, also because...
often i find myself asking, hmmm...what shall i listen now? But beeing a librivoxer, i will be drawn to the Books up for review to not only listen to a book but also to help out at the same time!

((Would you please write me a little summary of your book? I will need it next week. Your book is next in line to be uploaded for the BitTorrent Network.))
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
c10h13no

Post by c10h13no »

thistlechick wrote:
thadine wrote:A deadline by which final error-submissions can be posted would be useful. Perhaps when a project is finished, we can change it's status to 'REVIEW' and then a week after that, it can be switched to 'COMPLETE' and catalogued, and people will just have to live with any errors left after that.
That's GENIUS! Why didn't I think of that *smacks forehead*

Thank you so much Thadine for that suggestion.... I think that will make the process work really smoothly, without needing to create a new forum for "Listeners Wanted" ... We'll just need to let people know what "REVIEW" means and to look for that label if they are intersted in helping by listening.
I think it would be better to treat it like a bug tracking system and always leave it open ended. This doesnt mean anyone is compelled to fix it just that those noting it the first time can either "fix" it which may involve editing a simple wording or re-recording a whole chapter. Those who want to perfect it can.

Now how to handle such "submissions" for "bug" fixes is another matter altogether and is going to involve an approval process or it will just be chaos. I think it is something that could be brought to quorum every so often to address open bug fixes. I think this could work much better than shelving the process and leaqving the listener hanging when he notices an error no one (else) intends to fix. At least there would be a place to see if others noted the "bug".
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Additional comments regarding this topic may also be found here:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=454 (Page 2)
~ Betsie
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

kara, have we got any confirm that we can replace files on archive system now?

h.
kayray

Post by kayray »

hugh wrote:kara, have we got any confirm that we can replace files on archive system now?

h.
Nope. I'm in the middle of an experiement with Randomdad's Flanders Field recording, which was encoded at 64kbps and therefor un-derived by archive.org. I re-encoded it to 128, deleted the original 64kbps file and replaced it with the new 128 file.

The change has not yet been reflected on archive's detail page:

http://www.archive.org/details/in_flanders_fields

Maybe the deriver isn't finished yet. Or maybe, because the new filename is exactly the same as the old one, the deriver is confused. Anyway, if you check there and you see THREE files for Random's poem, (in_flanders_fields_mccrae_rd) you'll know my experiement worked...

Cross your fingers!

This is a task best done by the highly experienced, by the way... you have to get in via ftp and manually delete the unwanted files -- no "are you sure you want to delete this?" messages ;-)
Kara
--------
thadine

Post by thadine »

Leaving things open-ended could become a nightmare as we get more and more projects, and I do feel that after a certain point, no one will want to go back and fix old files. If you wanted to allow 'bug' reporting after an item has been catalogued, it would still probably be better to have a cut-off date, to 'close' projects, even if it's a year after a project has been catalogued (I'm just thinking if every single file is given a bug tracker that is never closed, in a couple years time, it would just be ridiculous, and even if things were reported, who will fix them?) And in that case, files should also be given a revision number, because files could be edited a few times over their lifetimes.