COMPLETE: First Chapter Collection 001 - al

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

First Chapter Collection Vol. 001

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/first-chapter-collection-001/

NEW READERS: Please read the Newbie Guide to Recording and do a short test recording before submitting here, just to make sure that all your settings are OK. Then please read this post carefully and refer back to it. It has all the information you need to submit a recording successfully.
"Are you wishing sometimes that you had a good book which you don't know, that you might just read and enjoy? The goal of this collection is to introduce you to as many books as possible. Some are well known, some are not." Summary by Stav Nisser.
This collection is for favorite first chapters of any book in the public domain. Chapters longer than 60 minutes should be divided into multiple sections. You are welcome to contribute as many as you wish, whether or not they have already been recorded for Librivox by others. There is no need to "sign-up" before recording as long as the work is clearly in the public domain. Please post here if you are unsure about public domain status.

After 20 recordings are submitted, we will prooflisten, catalog and make them available to the public.

1. RECORD
  • Be sure to set your recording software to: 44100Hz, 16-bit
  • No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
  • At the BEGINNING Say: "[Title of Work], [Chapter 1], [Title of Chapter] by [Author Name]" "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox Recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org"
  • At the END, say: "End of [Title of Work, Chapter 1], by [Author Name]"
  • If you wish, you may also say: "Read by...your name."
  • Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording or 10 seconds if longer than 30 minutes.
2. EDIT and SAVE your file:
  • Need noise-cleaning?Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear distracting background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The free beta version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide. Note: Noisecleaning with earlier versions of Audacity (1.2.x) is not recommended.
  • ID3 Tags:
    • • Title/Name: [Title]
      • Artist: [Author Name]
      • Album: LibriVox First Chapter Collection Vol. 001
  • Save or export your recording to an mp3 file at 128kpbs using the following filename:
    • File Name: Put file name all in lowercase, and the title all in one word (no leading articles i.e. the, a, an, and NO SPACES): firstchapter001_shorttitleinoneword_author_readersinitials.mp3,
      e.g. firstchapter001_janeeyre_bronte_al.mp3
3. SUBMIT your recording:
Please upload your finished recording using the LibriVox uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please copy to post in this thread):
http://upload.librivox.org
If you have trouble reading the image above, please send a private message to any admin
You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: al - wildemoose.
*If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

4. POST the following information in this thread:
  • • The link you copied from the uploader to your file
    • Name of book and chapter title if applicable
    • Author (birth year - death year)
    • Translator if applicable (birth year - death year)
    • Source from which you read (i.e. Gutenberg etext url)
    • Length in minutes and size in MB of your file
    • If this is your first Librivox recording, I will also need your name as you would like it to appear on the catalogue page and the URL of your homepage if you have one and would like it linked to your name on the catalogue page.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by miss stav on March 11th, 2011, 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Stav - you'll probably want to use a collection template instead of the regular group project template. Things like claiming sections don't apply.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Where can I find it? I haven't found it in the wiki. Also, I think it's ok as it is.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You might have to take one of the poetry collection templates and modify that. I'm not sure which would be easier - modifying this one or that one. :)

If you use this one, you'll have to remove this: "To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply"
at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please)."
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

So I will remove this. But not right now- I have to go out.
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Stav, I can fix up the template this evening if you don't get to it before then. I'll put up the Magic Window tonight as well. I'd also like to change the title to "First Chapter Collection" to be more consistent with the other collections we have.
Guero

Post by Guero »

Could a Preface qualify as a "First Chapter"? Sometimes a good preface is just the hook someone needs to get interested in a book. I have no idea if my chosen book will even have a preface. Just asking so I know what's possible or not possible.

Thanks!
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Guero wrote:Could a Preface qualify as a "First Chapter"? Sometimes a good preface is just the hook someone needs to get interested in a book. I have no idea if my chosen book will even have a preface. Just asking so I know what's possible or not possible.

Thanks!
In my own personal opinion, a preface is, in general, different from a first chapter and so would not be eligible for inclusion. However, I think this could probably be decided on a case-by-case basis should the need arise.
Guero

Post by Guero »

Okey dokey. Thanks.
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

You can combine the preface with the first chapter, if it's short enough.
I maid the changes as requested. Thanks, Tricia.
And what do you think about first chapters which are longer than 70 minutes? I think they should not be avoided, and can be entered in 2 sections. However, I'll leave this to Arielle, as she might disagree with me on this point.
Stav.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Just checking, this is not multilingual, is it? (now there's an idea!)
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

miss stav wrote: And what do you think about first chapters which are longer than 70 minutes? I think they should not be avoided, and can be entered in 2 sections. However, I'll leave this to Arielle, as she might disagree with me on this point.
Stav.
I think that's completely fine.
Just checking, this is not multilingual, is it? (now there's an idea!)
I wouldn't have a problem with that! Stav, what do you think?
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Why not? That can be wonderful.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I would also humbly suggest that you give this project a number. It could become far more popular than you think, and might be done again. :D

ETA : 4 digits?
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I don't want to number it now. I will give it a number in June, after I see how popular it really is. And of course, I am planning to do it again myself. But that's to far away now.