'Thank you' messages for Librivox in general

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

lezer wrote:
Isabel wrote:I would love to listen to Georgette Heyer, but probably it isn't in trhe public domain yet.
I have emailed Isabel to alert her to the one Georgette Heyer book in our catalog:
http://librivox.org/the-black-moth-by-georgette-heyer/
Laurie Anne
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

My thanks have been going in the books' Completed Projects threads so the particular team that worked on a given book is thanked (assuming they still have email notifications on for the books they worked). Do y'all prefer to have them here? (I'm sitting on a big one.) :~)

Please advise,

~Susan
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Hey Susan,

It would be better here even if they still have the notification on simply because it lets other people see it and maybe they too would then want to listen. :)
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

I hope you are also using these sorts of thanks messages in grant-writing.

:~)

~Susan
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

OK. I'll try to remember, next time I want to thank a team whose thread has fallen off the pageful of just-completed threads, to post here. (Today's is an example.)

The Honor of the Big Snows, by James Oliver Curwood, is a fabulous read by Roger Melin supported by the usual diligent Librivox team. I awoke to that one chapter all the great Librivox projects have-- "Oooh, tell me more... but please don't ever get to the end of the story!"

In this book are all the themes today's families face, set in the wilder parts of Canada and replete with evocative descriptions of:
[list]beautiful and rugged places I will never visit,
a people, several races that make up that people,
the barriers that separate and
the forces that unite.[/list]

An author, a reader, and a Librivox team at their best. And a book that's just the right size, except for needing to be three times as long. :~)[/size]

~Susan
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thank you Susan, that's very thoughtful of you. The Honor of the Big Snows happens to be
the most meaningful Curwood novel to me, for reasons I need not go into here, and I was glad to have been able to record it for others.
It's gratifying to hear that there are others who enjoy this work as well. Thank you again! :D

It means a lot to me that you got out of it that which was put into it. It's Curwood that deserves the kudos.
The Librivox team merely brought it to the public in its own unique way.
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

Roger wrote:... It means a lot to me that you got out of it that which was put into it. It's Curwood that deserves the kudos....
:wink: Sometimes a work read here comes across as having been meant to be read silently to oneself, due to the writing style, but the Curwoods have all seemed to have been meant to be read out loud. And that just doesn't happen all by itself, :lol: so yes of course kudos to Curwood, but unless he can come back to life and read to me, I'm afraid you're stuck with a few of them too. :thumbs:

~S~
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

WYSIWYG wrote: but the Curwoods have all seemed to have been meant to be read out loud. And that just doesn't happen all by itself,

HEAR HEAR! I love the way Curwood paints a picture with words and Roger's voice brings it all alive.

Thanks again Roger. (I know I said it before)

Esther :mrgreen:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

By the way Susan, I always read your posts in the completed section. I know you always make useful comments and I find I may d/l a book you liked.

Esther :)
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

d/l? (Whazzat?)

I should add too that anytime a mod wants to move or copy a thanks-post of mine from the completed-proj thread to here, that's fine by me too, but I'll try to remember to come here with them.

~Susan
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

WYSIWYG wrote:d/l? (Whazzat?)
Download
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

KiltedDragon wrote:
WYSIWYG wrote:d/l? (Whazzat?)
Download
Oh, t'anks!

~S~
lezer

Post by lezer »

Richard Z wrote:Just wanted to say a quick thank you to each and every reader!

Your contributions in providing the voice to all the books you have read is a "god send" to those who can't either read or can't see well enough to read the books. Once again a heart felt thank you all, for your contributions.

Richard Z
Anna
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I'm posting a link here to a post in the Introduction thread. I think it says it all.

http://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?p=579036#p579036

Please read it and you will see what I mean.

Esther :clap:
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

I came to post a link to the same thread that Esther linked to above - a very moving post by Lazarus52. I'll copy the text of the post. Please read:
Lazarus52 wrote::hmm:

While living in SoCal in my pre & early teens I was introduced to the public library. And given the conditions that had been, still were & would continue to be a part of my life (I'll not go into details), the euphoria of getting lost in books was like a wonderous narcotic. :9: I couldn't get enough & I've never recovered from that addiction. Unfortunately, as I've gotten older, physical conditions have required me to take several sorts of medications that have severely inhibited my ability to effectively read for extended periods of time (several paragraphs?). The effort to stay visually & mentally focused actually causes me to nod off momentarily (gah!). I was horribly frustrated until I made the wonderous discovery of Audiobooks!!! :clap:

Sadly though, they are often quite expensive for a person on disability & I was beginning to despair until, one day, out of the blue, I typed "free audiobook" into my favorite search engine & before you can say Jack Robinson, there was a link to a site that had perhaps hundreds of audiobooks to download, free of charge! And every one of them that I downloaded, showed that they originated from Librivox.org. Well, it was only a matter of time until I was going to get myself over here & check this place out!

I am so incredibly impressed by what all these brothers & sisters are doing, that I simply cannot adequately express my appreciation. The hard work (play?) & dedication of these people makes such a difference in the lives of so many. Books that I had been planning to read & then thought that I had lost the opportunity to enjoy, are now made a part of my future. Audiobooks make it possible for me to drive long distances without fear of falling asleep at the wheel. They really do make a difference in my life & I thank God for the people that are moved to use their talents in behalf of those of us that need their help.

I'm considering some brain surgery that may cause me to need fewer of the medications that I am currently taking. If that proves to be so, & my concentration improves adequately, I would feel honored to be a proof-listener or reader for Librivox.

Again, bless you all for all you do & thank you for letting me "hang out" with you. You're great company :thumbs:
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|