[COMPLETE] Stalky & Co (More Stories) by Rudyard Kipling -sp

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
tim bulkeley

Post by tim bulkeley »

Stalky & Co (More Stories) by Rudyard Kipling (30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/stalky-co-more-stories-by-rudyard-kipling/
This small collection puts together stories by Kipling that feature the characters from Stalky & Co. but which for some reason were not included in the book Stalky & Co. Of these the more interesting is the first, "Stalky", which introduces the characters and is full of the humour and understanding of adolescent males and their timeless jostling with adult powers that characterise the stories in Stalky & Co. "Stalky" was the first of the tales to be written, and was published in 1898, so it is difficult to understand how it came to be omitted from the book in 1899.

Regulus, while also full of humour, is a more difficult read in an age when a "proper" classical education is no longer something widely experienced.

There are also other stories that cannot be included here because they are still in copyright:
  • "The United Idolators" and "The Propagation of Knowledge" in Debits and Credits (1926)
    "The Satisfaction of a Gentleman" in The Complete Stalky & Co (1929).
There is also another "Scylla and Charybdis", unpublished in Kipling's day, and only made available recently that although not copyright in the USA cannot be included because we do not have access to the manuscript, only an edited edition (which itself is subject to copyright).

If you enjoyed Stalky & Co you will probably enjoy these additional stories.

(Introduction by Tim Bulkeley)
MAGIC WINDOW:

(Admin link)
  • Target completion date: July 2011
  • Text source (only read from this text!): "Stalky" published in McClure's Magazine in 1898 available in scan here http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015030656113;q1=kipling;start=1;size=100;page=root;view=image;seq=113;num=99
    "Regulus" in A Diversity of Creatures (1917) http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13085
    NB. There is a further story unpublished during Kipling's life for which kassyopeia is seeking evidence of PD status if that is confirmed I'd add that one.
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Near Word Perfect NB Heart of Texas will PL

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

Soloist - please provide *all of* the following:
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudyard_Kipling
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): New title, from old works see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalky_%26_Co.#Further_stories
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 2 (or possibly 3)
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: n
    • Original publication date (if known): 1898-1917
    • Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is author's death + 50 or 70 years): 1936
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of [Book title]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "[Book title], by [Author]. [Translated by [translator]]. [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of [Book title] by [Author]. [Translated by [translator]]. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of [Book title], by [Author]. [Translated by [translator]]."
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    stalkymorestories_##_kipling.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Rudyard Kipling
    Album: Stalky & Co (More Stories)
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by tim bulkeley on August 7th, 2011, 11:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tim Bulkeley

http://stories.org.nz/
Not only Librivox but other works out of copyright in NZ and Canada
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

I would like to be your DPL for this project, if I may, if you have no one else in mind.

Thanks,
Betty
tim bulkeley

Post by tim bulkeley »

libraryanne wrote:I would like to be your DPL for this project, if I may, if you have no one else in mind.

Thanks,
Betty

Oops, I'm sorry, before I saw this Heart of Texas had PMed me saying she'd do it, so I added a note in pink above, I did not look to see if there was anything here as I hadn't had an email notification :(
Tim Bulkeley

libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Ah well. Best of luck with this project.

With kind regards,
Betty
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

I can MC this for you, Tim.

as for...
There is a further story unpublished during Kipling's life for which kassyopeia is seeking evidence of PD status if that is confirmed I'd add that one.
...I assume you're referring to "Scylla & Charybdis." Since the PD status of that is likely always going to be questionable at best, I'd recommend recording it separately rather than as part of a collection. If you, or kassyopeia, or someone else want to record that I can MC that as well and catalog it on its own. That way, if we have to yank it because of a copyright challenge, it will be easier and simpler.

Anyway, I'll be back with the MW shortly for this one

Jim
Raeubertochter

Post by Raeubertochter »

tim bulkeley wrote:Volunteers outside the USA: Rudyard Kipling died in 1936. His work is probably still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, or Canada/Australia (author's death plus 50 years). Check your local laws.
Out of curiosity: Why would it still be protected in +70 or +50 countries if he died in 1936?
Read more female Nobel laureates -
Bertha von Suttner (1905, peace): Die Waffen nieder!
Selma Lagerlöf (1909, literature): Niels Holgersens wunderbare Reise mit den Wildgänsen - Teil 2
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

It wouldn't. Cut-and-paste accident. Thank God no one was hurt...

Jim
tim bulkeley

Post by tim bulkeley »

Raeubertochter: Sorry, yes I was basically not editing the template, just filling in answers to the questions. I should have used the "scissors" too ;)

Jim: If Kassy can get a PD clearance for Scylla and Charibdis I'd like to include that here to make this little collection as complete as possible (I really got pleasure out of making the Just So Stories the most complete audio version) but I understand it is a long shot. If only there was a Librivox in a country where copyright was limited at life plus I could do the other stories that were published just after the 1923 cut off date :(

I have another nearly finished project to complete before I start this one, so it may be a week or two before the first recording. OTOH since I'm on my summer holiday maybe it'll be sooner ;)
Tim Bulkeley

Raeubertochter

Post by Raeubertochter »

Steampunk wrote:It wouldn't. Cut-and-paste accident. Thank God no one was hurt...
All the better :D
Read more female Nobel laureates -
Bertha von Suttner (1905, peace): Die Waffen nieder!
Selma Lagerlöf (1909, literature): Niels Holgersens wunderbare Reise mit den Wildgänsen - Teil 2
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

Moving to Going Solo...
tim bulkeley wrote: Jim: If Kassy can get a PD clearance for Scylla and Charibdis I'd like to include that here to make this little collection as complete as possible (I really got pleasure out of making the Just So Stories the most complete audio version) but I understand it is a long shot. . .
The only iron-clad clearance would be from the Kipling estate. Barring that, it will have to be cataloged separately. Estate clearance is a long-shot, but we'll leave it for now and deal with it when the time comes.

Jim
kassyopeia

Post by kassyopeia »

Steampunk wrote:The only iron-clad clearance would be from the Kipling estate.
How do you figure? We know that the original text is in the US-PD.* What we're not entirely sure about is whether that means that the version published in the Kipling Journal, which is the only one we have access to, is also in the US-PD. But that's not something the estate could definitively answer, it seems to me.

*That is, unless they previously published it in some other form that we don't yet know about, I hadn't considered that. Is there some way to confirm that the publication in the Journal was really a "First Publication"? I guess I could ask the estate to confirm that point, getting an answer to a straightforward question might be much less of a long shot than making a formal request...
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

kassyopeia wrote:
Steampunk wrote:The only iron-clad clearance would be from the Kipling estate.
How do you figure? We know that the original text is in the US-PD.*
Which we don't have access to, nor are we likely to.

What we're not entirely sure about is whether that means that the version published in the Kipling Journal, which is the only one we have access to, is also in the US-PD.

Correct. Which can only be confirmed by Kipling Society (unlikely, but possible and fairly authoritative) or the estate (also unlikely, but more authoritative, i.e. iron-clad)

But that's not something the estate could definitively answer, it seems to me.
Actually, they can, since they "own" Kipling's works. The question is will they.

I guess I could ask the estate to confirm that point, getting an answer to a straightforward question might be much less of a long shot than making a formal request...
You could. However, I think we can more-or-less safely record "Scylla & Charybdis," as published in the Kipling Journal, and catalog it separately. As I stated before, this allows us to pull it from the catalog quickly and easily if there is a copyright challenge.

Jim

(this discussion really belongs in the appropriate Book Suggestions thread, and we can move it there if it continues)
kassyopeia

Post by kassyopeia »

Steampunk wrote:this discussion really belongs in the appropriate Book Suggestions thread, and we can move it there if it continues
No need ATM, I think. Sorry for cluttering. :)
tim bulkeley

Post by tim bulkeley »

I have recorded the first story, "Stalky" I wonder why it did not make the book, it's great fun :)
Here: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/sp/stalkymorestories_01_kipling.mp3 The others may take longer :( "Stalky" hit a window of opportunity ;)
Tim Bulkeley

tim bulkeley

Post by tim bulkeley »

There are some amusing illustrations with "Stalky". I wonder if it is worth collecting the illustrations, and doing a PDF of them on archive.org?
Tim Bulkeley