COMPLETE [HISTORY]Romulus by Jacob Abbott - ni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

Romulus by Jacob Abbott (1803-1879).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/romulus-by-jacob-abbott/
Jacob Abbott wrote many historical books for children. He was careful to ensure historical accuracy, and as he said himself in the preface to this book "Whatever of interest, therefore, these stories may possess, is due solely to the facts themselves which are recorded in them, and to their being brought together in a plain, simple, and connected narrative."

This is the story of Romulus, the founding of Rome and the early years of its history, written in a way both readable and enjoyable for adults and children alike. (Summary by Ruth Golding)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 8th September 2011.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!):
    http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27692
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

MAGIC WINDOW:

(Admin link)

======================================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and readers (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    BC - please provide *all of* the following:
    [list]
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 13 (14, if you count the introduction)
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: y
    [*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Abbott
    [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Short description (please state who wrote the description. This can be a paragraph copied from Wikipedia. If you write this yourself, please be aware that your summary will be in the PD):
    [*]Date of first publication: 1852
    [*]Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is death of author plus 50 or 70 years): 1879

======================================================= [/size]
[*]BEFORE recording:
Please check the Recording Notes:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
[*]DURING recording:
Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!
Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Chapter [number] of Romulus. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
  • Say:
    "Romulus, by Jacob Abbott. [Chapter]"

End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Romulus, by Jacob Abbott."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
[*]AFTER recording:
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
Save files as
128 kbps MP3
romulus_##_abbott.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. romulus_01_abbott.mp3)
ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Jacob Abbott
Album: Romulus
Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ni - neerajanagarajan
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by jeanny on January 9th, 2011, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I have a full MC plate, but I'm posting in this to bump it up the thread list, so that it might be seen better. :wink:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan »

I'll be happy to MC this! Will put up the MW in some time.
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

TriciaG wrote:I have a full MC plate, but I'm posting in this to bump it up the thread list, so that it might be seen better. :wink:
Hi Tricia,
Thanks a lot for your support. :wink:
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

neerajanagarajan wrote:I'll be happy to MC this! Will put up the MW in some time.
Hello Neeru,
Thanks for MCing this project! :D
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

I've edited the first post: In total, there are 14 sections, if you count the introduction (00 - Preface, followed by 13 chapters).
neerajanagarajan

The MW's up! Just shout if you need anything else.
Let's hang around here for a couple more days and see if we can pick up a DPL.
neerajanagarajan

Uh? It's showing up for me. :?
Did you try refreshing the page and stuff?
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

Now it's there! :D
that's really odd, yesterday I did refresh the page and even restart the computer. Always the same result - the MW was not there. :? Maybe my old computer is playing tricks!
Ok, now I'll start filling in the MW.
sherlock85

Post by sherlock85 »

I would really like to do a solo recording of this book, if that is not ok, I will take sections 7-9.
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

Hello Sherlock85,
Ok, I've signed you up for ALL sections. :D
If you cannot record all sections, I'll continue BCing this project. :wink: Just let me know.
sherlock85

Post by sherlock85 »

Thank you! I'm excited!!! :!: :!: :!:
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

FYI: I'd also prepared separate files for each chapter. If they are still needed, please let me know (although I suppose you'll be happy with the single Gutenberg file). :)
sherlock85

Post by sherlock85 »

The Gutenberg file will be sufficient, but I appreciate the offer.