COMPLETE: Dream Psychology, by Sigmund Freud - NF/ec

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

Please use HTML
What's this little box thingy for? Oh! [color=red]C[/color][color=orange]O[/color][color=yellow]L[/color][color=blue]O[/color][color=indigo]R[/color]
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Ticktockman wrote:Does it matter whether I use the HTML, plain text, etc.
ab2525 wrote:Please use HTML
I don't understand what either of you mean.... :?:

David
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

the version of the gutenberg text
What's this little box thingy for? Oh! [color=red]C[/color][color=orange]O[/color][color=yellow]L[/color][color=blue]O[/color][color=indigo]R[/color]
tina

Post by tina »

I'm having some serious allergy problems that have me permanently congested, which means I don't really enjoy recording at the moment. :( Unfortunately, that means I need to return chapter 1 and let someone else take over. I hope this isn't too much trouble.
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/TinaTilney/]Tina's Wiki Page[/url] | I can receive files by [url=http://www.pando.com/]pando.com[/url]
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

no prob
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Just got my mic, and will be downloading software in the next day or two. I hope to be able to accomplish someting with all this when I travel this weekend. I'd be willing to give Chapter 1 a go, if that would help things along. Let me know, TTM
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Hi TTM, it looks like Ch 1 is free, so go ahead! I'll put your name against it in the top post.

David
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

David,

Just started some trial readings, and could use some help with the following:

1. words within quotes (I assume one just says "quote" for a single word, and to open a quoted phrase, which is then followed by "end quote").

2. italicized and/or bolded words/phrases

3. abbreviations like cf

4. combinations of above

This is a tough chapter for a newbie, as the writing is arcane (to put it mildly). I'm doing my best with it.

Thanks, TTM
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

TTM,

Can you copy here some example sentences?

Ta,

David
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

1. This is done either scene by scene, according to some rigid key, or the dream as a whole is replaced by something else of which it was a symbol. Serious-minded persons laugh at these efforts—"Dreams are but sea-foam!"

2. Not all go so far as this, but many maintain that dreams have their origin in real spiritual excitations, and are the outward manifestations of spiritual powers whose free movements have been hampered during the day ("Dream Phantasies," Scherner, Volkelt). A large number of observers acknowledge that dream life is capable of extraordinary achievements—at any rate, in certain fields ("Memory").

3. Probably my dream of last night satisfies the requirements. Its content, fixed immediately after awakening, runs as follows:

"Company; at table or table d'h�te.... Spinach is served. Mrs. E.L., sitting next to me, gives me her undivided attention, and places her hand familiarly upon my knee. In defence I remove her hand. Then she says: 'But you have always had such beautiful eyes.'.... I then distinctly see something like two eyes as a sketch or as the contour of a spectacle lens...."

4. It seems to me to mount up too quickly, and I am always afraid that I shall be at a disadvantage, just as I cannot resist at table d'h�te the comical fear that I am getting too little, that I must look after myself." In far-fetched connection with this I quote:

"To earth, this weary earth, ye bring us,
To guilt ye let us heedless go."

5. If the dream continues and settles activities of the day and even brings to light valuable inspirations, we have only to subtract from it the dream disguise as a feat of dream-work and a mark of assistance from obscure forces in the depth of the mind (cf. the devil in Tartini's sonata dream).

These five should cover a lot of it.

Thanks, TTM
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

1. This is done either scene by scene, according to some rigid key, or the dream as a whole is replaced by something else of which it was a symbol. Serious-minded persons laugh at these efforts—"Dreams are but sea-foam!"
This looks like italics to show where the author would place stress if he were reading aloud. Emphasis of voice would do it. For the quote, you could frame it with 'quote... unquote', but I probably wouldn't bother. It's clear from the way it sits outside the sentence that it... well... sits outside the sentence.
2. Not all go so far as this, but many maintain that dreams have their origin in real spiritual excitations, and are the outward manifestations of spiritual powers whose free movements have been hampered during the day ("Dream Phantasies," Scherner, Volkelt). A large number of observers acknowledge that dream life is capable of extraordinary achievements—at any rate, in certain fields ("Memory").
Scherner and Vorkelt are presumably the authors, so I'd read: Dream Phantasies, by Scherner and Volkelt
'Memory" is harder, sat on its own like that. If you read: See: Dream Phantasies, by Scherner and Volkelt, you could read: See: Memory, which gets across the fact that it's a book or article.
3. Probably my dream of last night satisfies the requirements. Its content, fixed immediately after awakening, runs as follows:

"Company; at table or table d'hote.... Spinach is served. Mrs. E.L., sitting next to me, gives me her undivided attention, and places her hand familiarly upon my knee. In defence I remove her hand. Then she says: 'But you have always had such beautiful eyes.'.... I then distinctly see something like two eyes as a sketch or as the contour of a spectacle lens...."
I'd reade "Quote" and "Unquote" for the extract as a whole, and not for the internal quote. It would be clear from 'Then she says' and 'I then distinctly...' that the bit between is a quote.
4. It seems to me to mount up too quickly, and I am always afraid that I shall be at a disadvantage, just as I cannot resist at table d'hote the comical fear that I am getting too little, that I must look after myself." In far-fetched connection with this I quote:

"To earth, this weary earth, ye bring us,
To guilt ye let us heedless go."
Just read it. It's obvious where the quote begins and ends.
5. If the dream continues and settles activities of the day and even brings to light valuable inspirations, we have only to subtract from it the dream disguise as a feat of dream-work and a mark of assistance from obscure forces in the depth of the mind (cf. the devil in Tartini's sonata dream).
'Cee-eff' will do.

OK?

David (pretending to know what he's talking about, and giving away his general penchant for keeping things simple)
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

David

Many thanks!..will begin this weekend...TTM
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

I am totally bummed, as it seems I can't select & replace in Sony Audio Studio (if the replacement is longer than the selection). I'm heading to the helpforum for ideas.

May have to start anew, TTM
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

aj,

I must say learning the software the hard way wasn't an overwhelmingly positive experience (and I have a long way to go). At any rate, here is my first chapter.Let me know if I messed anything up. I'd like to have an easier time with Chapter 11. Thanks, TTM

http://download.yousendit.com/0C5635C161A8CA56

Ticktockman
00:33:58
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Hellllooooooo.......

I haven't begun working on Chapter 11, as I'm waiting for feedback on my first ever submission from last Sunday. Yousendit also says that the upload will expire in 2 days.

Any feedback (good or bad) would be most welcome. Thanks, TTM