Wiki page needs updating - Dare I touch it? (GULP)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I was collecting information from LV Wiki on increasing recording volume with a view to simplifying it for new users, when I stumbled across the site How To Send Your Recordings http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=How_to_Send_Your_Recording&oldid=1843 and of course the delightful video by David.

My feeling is that the video at least definitely needs to be updated since
1) does not show new readers having to enter a Username and password, or
2) the current Step 1: Identify the project's MC. Also,
3) does LV still allow alternate uploading methods? Or have they been quietly eliminated and only the official LV Upoad site officially approved? Since much of what is on the Wiki page mentioned above is about alternate uploading methods, this might mean changes to that also. Or not. :D The password thing is mentioned in the text but only mentioned in passing in the video which was done in 1997.

I sent a PM to A.R.Dobbs since the Wiki said to send comments to him but I notice he hasn't been on the forum for about 18 months, so I also sent a PM to the video author. He, David, was kind enough to respond even though he's not currently active in LV, and suggest that the wiki does indeed need to be updated and that I post on the forum to get suggestions of the next step.

I am extremely hesitant about touching or changing anything on our wiki because ... well, because it's WRITTEN, and anything written must be right, right? Who am I, a mere mortal, to be messin' around with the wisdom of the sages?

Wise and comforting words of guidance would be welcome about now. :D
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Well Wikis are made to be used by everyone -- though first time is a bit scary . So as a non expert.
First you need to PM Jc to get a password, Then I suggest logging in and looking around
You are able to preview anything you do which is handy, but it also keeps a record of what the page looked like at every alteration which is comforting.
I'm still only at the stage where I find something else that looks like what I want to say and I copy it and change the words :oops: but it is supposed to cope with the ordinary bloke so have a go. The only think that is embarrassing is that if you decide you didn't want a page or an image you have made , you can't delete it :D

Have look round , if you need to use new images ask - you can't link to an image and have it show , you need to upload it

Anne
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

If you're unsure, you could create your own page in the Wiki, and make a link on the current one. There will always be time to discuss whether to keep both or just yours :D
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

was done in 1997.
We weren't even here then! :shock: Must be a glitch.

OH and the wiki scares me too.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

neckertb wrote:If you're unsure, you could create your own page in the Wiki, and make a link on the current one. There will always be time to discuss whether to keep both or just yours :D
The catch about that is it stays there forever - as far as I can see you can't delete pages or images at all - I suppose it has to be that way to stop someone turning up and deleting it all because they want to be nasty but it also means everyone knows you did something silly for ever and ever :D
But if something is wrong there it is better fixed

Anne
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Then divide the page in 2 sections, keep the first one as it is and add a whole new section. Then we can easily compare and delete the part that is not needed anymore.
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

The pages have a history. It's quite easy to revert to an older version if something goes horribly wrong, or to find "lost" information if we decide it was still needed.
Karen S.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

OK, first off 1997 was indeed a mistype, I meant 2007. But at my age, what's 10 years one way or the other, eh?!

My thanks to everyone for your advice. I am beginning to accept the fact that If I want a more accurate wiki then it is up to me to actually do something about it. I suppose I always assumed that magical beings with lots of knowledge sort of waved their fairy wands and 'poof', it all happened.

The biggest reassurance you have given me is that I can't mangle the system itself or unwittingly destroy or overwrite valuable information; that it was designed to keep versions than can be brought back at any time. Good. Someone was thinking.

With all this in mind I will gingerly see what can be done. But another question: would not all changes, additions, updates, etc to the LV wiki need to be approved by the LV Directors before they are done? Or is there a panel that reviews proposed changes?
For example the alternate uploading instructions on that wikipage. My feeling is that LV doesn't use them anymore and it might mislead people, but I would not dream of deleting anything without knowing what the heck I am talking about. Which I don't. So is there a LV wiki review board, or person that can say yea or nea?

:D Phil
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

The alternate versions do still get used, albeit rarely, in cases where people, for some reason or other, are unable to use or access the LV uploader, so I wouldn't delete those instructions entirely (unless they point to people's private servers, which have been taken out of use, by now), but make a note that these are only to be used in last case scenarios.
Karen S.
Cori

Post by Cori »

There's no LV wiki review board, and I'm pretty sure we don't have any directors (I guess you could say Hugh does that, sort of, but he doesn't check everything out in that way!)

That said, a number of folks remember the bad old days, when spammers went mad in the wiki, and we were deleting hundreds of pages and sneaky (and blatant!) edits all the time ... so people are attuned to the possibility and I'd think active vandalism would get noticed and reverted sooner rather than later.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!