New Forum Software!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Jc

Post by Jc »

Hi All!!

As you may have noticed, Kayray and Dan (DigiSage) have been hard at work upgrading our forum software! The new forum is similar, but much improved, and we hope you like it.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to keep the old layout, so we're currently working on changing the default look into something more cozy.

If you have any comment, suggestion, criticism, please feel free to speak up! You're the users, so please tell us what would work best for you. It can be anything: colour, font, layout, buttons, etc.
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

This is probably just a setting I haven't found yet, but is there anyway of stopping URLs being cut short? I know I can still click on them, but it just looks wrong to me.

Also, in the notification e-mail, the link to take me to the latest post took me to the login page first. Mostly I don't want to login when I get those e-mails. I had to click on the link which takes you to the first post, then click on the last page and scroll down. It's just an annoying extra step.

And I liked the previous colour scheme we had, although I'm sure if a different one is picked I will get used to it.

And thanks to Kara and Dan for all their hard work. Great job guys!
So little space, so much to say.
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

First - thank you for changing back to this color scheme! Much easier on the eyes than the one last night.
Second - I agree about cutting the url's short. It is a real pain for a BC if you just usually copy and paste into the MW - now you have to fill in all the missing sections if you want to do that.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

I just logged in a few minutes ago to find the new forum look. Guess I missed the other color scheme but I like this one (currently a blue one)..cozy (to use what Jc said). I like all the smilies being available and I really like the font colors being available. Did notice, however, that color is misspelled (snicker).
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

m8b1 wrote:First - thank you for changing back to this color scheme! Much easier on the eyes than the one last night.
Second - I agree about cutting the url's short. It is a real pain for a BC if you just usually copy and paste into the MW - now you have to fill in all the missing sections if you want to do that.
Maria, if you right click the link and select "Copy link," it will still copy over the full link.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

KiltedDragon wrote: Did notice, however, that color is misspelled (snicker).
Hey! Great Britain rules the colour waves once more... :lol:
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Lucy_k_p wrote:This is probably just a setting I haven't found yet, but is there anyway of stopping URLs being cut short? I know I can still click on them, but it just looks wrong to me.
We haven't found it either.
Also, in the notification e-mail, the link to take me to the latest post took me to the login page first. Mostly I don't want to login when I get those e-mails. I had to click on the link which takes you to the first post, then click on the last page and scroll down. It's just an annoying extra step.
One very interesting setting in your User Control Panel | Board Preferences | Display Options is to reverse the order of posts in a thread, so you see the newest one first. Not sure if I want to implement it, but some people may find it useful.
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

wildemoose wrote: Maria, if you right click the link and select "Copy link," it will still copy over the full link.
Well, I fell silly ~ I never even realized that was possible to do in the first place. You learn something new every day! Thank you, that will help a lot! (My excuse is in Firefox that when you right click a link it says "copy link location" instead of just copy (Why would I want to copy it's location thinks I - I know where it is. :lol: ) :roll: )
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Lucy_k_p wrote: Also, in the notification e-mail, the link to take me to the latest post took me to the login page first. Mostly I don't want to login when I get those e-mails. I had to click on the link which takes you to the first post, then click on the last page and scroll down. It's just an annoying extra step.
On the first page of each topic, on the top right there is a 'view first unread post' link taking you directly to the, well, first post you haven't read yet, no matter where it is... (It's great for the 'Thank you' thread....) :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

ColoUr - yay!

A heads-up for BCs/DPLs who have links to specific posts in place in their MWs for proof-listening notes (or anything involving links to specific pre-update forum posts): unfortunately the redirect (from the old librivox.org/forum posts to the new forum.librivox.org posts) seems only to take you to the page where the post appears and not straight to the individual post. New urls that will lead you straight to any post can be found by clicking on the little paper icon at the top of each post just as before, if you want to amend them.
English is the lingua franca par excellence
Guero

Post by Guero »

russiandoll wrote:A heads-up for BCs/DPLs who have links to specific posts in place in their MWs for proof-listening notes (or anything involving links to specific pre-update forum posts): unfortunately the redirect (from the old librivox.org/forum posts to the new forum.librivox.org posts) seems only to take you to the page where the post appears and not straight to the individual post. New urls that will lead you straight to any post can be found by clicking on the little paper icon at the top of each post just as before, if you want to amend them.
Thanks for that tip! That's how I usually note my PL notes, so it's helpful to know that! :)

Great job on the upgrade! From a user perspective, it looks like it went without a hitch. Bravo! That's not an easy task. :clap:

My only feedback on the new forums so far (since all the things I was going to mention have already been addressed) is that the color scheme, although soothing, does not match the branding of LibriVox elsewhere. On the old forums there was continuity between the forums and the Home Page. Now, with drastically different color schemes, they don't look related. Clearly not anything to do with functionality, but still worth pointing out.
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
peegee

Post by peegee »

RuthieG wrote:
Lucy_k_p wrote:This is probably just a setting I haven't found yet, but is there anyway of stopping URLs being cut short? I know I can still click on them, but it just looks wrong to me.
We haven't found it either..
If you just paste the text of a link then it automatically gets truncated, like this
http://www.archive.org/download/lesmis5_1010_librivox/lesmiserables_vol5_01_hugo_64kb.mp3

but if you use the URL button to surround your links with the [ url ] [ /url ] tags, then it doesn't get truncated
http://www.archive.org/download/lesmis5_1010_librivox/lesmiserables_vol5_01_hugo_64kb.mp3

regards
Phil
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

FYI: I noticed this last night on a few of my projects - the MW was missing. It has cleared up on all I've checked except this one: http://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?t=28814&start=0

I can access it through the BC Admin link, but it isn't viewable in the project thread. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

peegee wrote:If you just paste the text of a link then it automatically gets truncated, like this

but if you use the URL button to surround your links with the [ url ] [ /url ] tags, then it doesn't get truncated
Ooh, thanks for that, Phil - good to know.
English is the lingua franca par excellence
Jc

Post by Jc »

Yeah, I'll be poking at the colours (and I stand by my spelling) soon; I just haven't had time yet to look into it.

Yesterday was mostly spent trying to get the header of this theme fixed.
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)