Soooo, What Happens When There's No More PD Material?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
SmokestackJones

Post by SmokestackJones »

Hey there,

Yes, I know that as the years roll by more things will be released to the Public Domain, but so much as been done here so far and I'm sure, at the rate we're going, we'll hit some "dry spells" when everything up to the current date has been done.

Just something to think about.

-SJ
If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

There are 18,000 free books in the Project Gutenberg Online Book Catalog.
Need I say more?
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

At 250 books/year, it will take us 72 years to complete them all. So we'll let the next generation worry about the impending shortfall of PD works. :D
Kristen
http://www.mediatinker.com
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/KristenMcQuillin/]My recordings & claimed chapters[/url]
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Also, the Gutenberg catalogue is nowhere near complete - more works being added all the time.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Oh, and another thing: we can do everything more than once! Remember we encourage multiple versions.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
SmokestackJones

Gesine wrote:Oh, and another thing: we can do everything more than once! Remember we encourage multiple versions.
Hey Gesine,

Okay, this I didn't know. How long before you "recycle" a work?

-SJ
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection
kayray

Post by kayray »

SmokestackJones wrote:
Okay, this I didn't know. How long before you "recycle" a work?

-SJ
Anything goes on this one -- we might have two versions of a work being recorded at the very same time! It depends on the whims of our readers and book coordinators. Our two Pride and Prejudices (one solo, one collaborative) were released within, what, a month or two of each other?

We currently have two Velveteen Rabbits in the catalog, also -- one a solo, and one a mother/daughter duet. Also two Wind in the Willows; one a solo, one a regular collaboration. And I think we'll soon have two Huck Finns, unless I misremember. And of course three or more of anything is fine, too! We think it's nice to give listeners a choice of readers, anyway.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
TBOL3

Post by TBOL3 »

Two War of the Worlds,

AND, in 75 years, the modern books of today is what we will be reading, or books writen a decade ago.

Also, by then, Librivox, might be accepting fan made adiobooks.
kri

Post by kri »

TBOL3 wrote:Also, by then, Librivox, might be accepting fan made adiobooks.
Isn't that what we're doing already?? LibriVox accepts all (mostly) published books that we are legally able to do, which means public domain.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

There are currently two "Sunshine Sketches From a LIttle Town" in progress as well. One collaborative and one solo. :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
TBOL3

Post by TBOL3 »

kri wrote:
TBOL3 wrote:Also, by then, Librivox, might be accepting fan made adiobooks.
Isn't that what we're doing already?? LibriVox accepts all (mostly) published books that we are legally able to do, which means public domain.
None, that's not what I ment, I ment that they may be acepting fan WROTE books, that have NOT been published, but have been recorded to adio.
ZachBG

Post by ZachBG »

TBOL3 wrote:AND, in 75 years, the modern books of today is what we will be reading, or books writen a decade ago.
Sadly, this is probably not true. If there is not an attempt before 2020 to extend copyright protection YET AGAIN, I'll eat my hat. In fact, I'll even buy a hat especially to eat it.

One of my causes is to get copyright protection back to what it once was--28 years plus an optional renewal. Copyright is great, but the needs of the public domain are greater. (And I say this as an independent filmmaker, who has great interest in protecting his intellectual property.)

However, I have a feeling I'm preaching to the choir, here. :)
SmokestackJones

ZachBG wrote:Sadly, this is probably not true. If there is not an attempt before 2020 to extend copyright protection YET AGAIN, I'll eat my hat. In fact, I'll even buy a hat especially to eat it.
Stan: Yer hat's dry

Ollie: That reminds me - you made a statement this afternoon.

Stan: Did I?

Ollie: Um-hmm. You said that if we didn't get the deed, that you'd eat my hat.

Stan: Oh now you're taking me illiterally...

Ollie:
Nevertheless, I'm going to teach you not to make rash promises...(slams down hat) Eat the hat!

:mrgreen:

-SJ
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection
kayray

Post by kayray »

Lol, Smokestack!!!

And yes, Zach, preaching to the choir. :) But if we can help with your campaign for 28 + optional renewal, please let us know!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
JWMcCalvin

Post by JWMcCalvin »

Theoretically, by the time all pre-23 public domain works have been 'voxed--and remember, thousands of pd texts have yet to be digitized, many books that were 'frozen' under the Mickey Mou--er, copyright extension act will be 'set free.'
On the other hand, there's no guarantee that Congress won't be successfully lobbied at that time (2018, isn't it? or whenever) to extend the copyright limitation even further, perhaps even to the Jack Valenti standard of a copyright limit: "Infinity, minus one day." In any event, I agree that Libribox has years, if not decades to go before running out of material..