H2 Zoom-tips & wrinkles

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
hefyd

Post by hefyd »

Any tips and wrinkles on how best to use this handy device ? -for L'x purposes I mean.Do you use it with a line-in microphone ? Do you use it as a microphone direct to the computer ? How do you ensure that your recoding doesn't sound as if done in the Albert Hall etc et.hefyd
meum est propositum,in taberna mori
ut sint vina proxima,morientis ori
anon.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

My major tip is to press the record button before recording a 45 minute chapter :shock:

Anne
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I find it the easiest piece of equipment I've had. I just keep it real simple. I make sure it's recording in our specs except it's in stereo.

I have the mic gain at medium. recording level at 126. Everything else is just turned off. It is on an old mic stand off to my side about 10 inches from my mouth. The air blows past the front of the mic. Oh and I only record using the front mics. (No external mics for me.)

I record in my bedroom away from the noisy computer fan which means I need to print off anything I read or have the paper book.

I upload it to my computer as a wav file and open in audacity for editing.

I rarely need to amplify or noise clean it.

For an example of my recording on it you can check out this test I did.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Back in August, 3 of us sat around a picnic table with Starlite's H2 suspended on a boom between us while we read a short play, then the resulting file was transfered to a PC for editing.

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=502560#502560
and
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=502584#502584

:)
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

annise wrote:My major tip is to press the record button before recording a 45 minute chapter :shock:

Anne
No, no. Press it twice.
Anyone can read accurately. [i]I[/i] read with great expression.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes , that is a better explanation. Glad I wasn't the only one :D

Anne
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

... And the best place I have ever recorded in was one of those modern walk-in closets, with clothes hanging every where. Second best was a junk room at my grandparents. All the furniture, clothes, carpet, bed up against the wall and what-not really aided noise reduction. I record directly to the memory card of the H2 and transfer to a computer later. I bought a bigger memory card for five-ten bucks at Staples.
Anyone can read accurately. [i]I[/i] read with great expression.
Guero

Post by Guero »

I just ordered a Zoom H2 -- it will be arriving tomorrow. I'm real excited. Most especially because of the freedom it will give me by making it possible to record away from my computer (and the noise that surrounds that area). 8-)

So, it has been a few months since this thread had activity. Are there any new insights into how to use the Zoom H2 effectively? Are all you H2 users out there still loving the device?
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Guero wrote:I just ordered a Zoom H2 -- it will be arriving tomorrow. I'm real excited. Most especially because of the freedom it will give me by making it possible to record away from my computer (and the noise that surrounds that area). 8-)

So, it has been a few months since this thread had activity. Are there any new insights into how to use the Zoom H2 effectively? Are all you H2 users out there still loving the device?
I'll be interested to hear how it goes, Guero! I've been considering buying one, since between ConEd, clanging radiators, and a building literally being demolished across the street, I have been very frustrated trying to find a quiet place to record. (The hall closet was very well insulated but surprisingly airtight--it's hard to record when you can't breathe!) For anyone with an iPhone, I can recommend the Voice Memo app, although the device doesn't have a pop shield of any kind so you have to be careful where you place it in relation to your mouth.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

wildemoose wrote: For anyone with an iPhone, I can recommend the Voice Memo app, although the device doesn't have a pop shield of any kind so you have to be careful where you place it in relation to your mouth.
Really? I can't believe I never tried it! The problem might be that I read from my iPhone. Or I could borrow my hubbie's? Yeah, but he's not there when I record... Hmmm... Hide it from him you say? :twisted:
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

neckertb wrote: Really? I can't believe I never tried it! The problem might be that I read from my iPhone. Or I could borrow my hubbie's? Yeah, but he's not there when I record... Hmmm... Hide it from him you say? :twisted:
Heehee! Yeah, I was dubious but I really got a good sounding file once I figured out that I had to hold the phone to the side of my mouth to avoid plosives. Luckily I have an iPad to read from and my husband has an old 3G iPhone that I can use to record with. You need a program called PhoneView to get the files from the phone onto the computer, and then you can import them into Audacity or whatever program you use for editing.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

OK, sorry Guero for hijacking this for a bit :oops:
Thanks, Ariel, I'll try!
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
kayray

Post by kayray »

Guero -- yup I still LOVE my Zoom H2. Love, love, love, love.

Main tip, as someone said: press the record button TWICE. Make sure that light is solid-red, not blinking.

After a little incident with a non-existant recording (user error -- I forgot that I had filled up my SD card with files to give to someone) I have started using my Zoom as a line-in mic. It works just as well and gives me the same lovely clear sound, and I can see the wave-forms in my recording program. I only have to press the record button in the recording software, and the waves show me that it is working ;-)

I don't even have to worry about batteries anymore, since it's powered by the USB cable. Now I love it even more!

I place the mic very close to my mouth, and off to the side a bit.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Guero

Post by Guero »

Arielle - I'll let you know how it goes. You and I are in very similar situations -- quiet spots are few and far between!

Nadine - No need to apologize for the slight tangent. It was actually interesting to hear that the iPhone app is a viable solution. I don't own one myself, but it's good to know just in case I get one some day. And you ended up getting a good tip. So it's all good! :wink:

Kara - Thanks for the suggestions and the pointer about using it as a line-in mic to the computer. Flexibility is always good. :)

I can't wait to start using it.
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I absolutely LOVE my H2! I'm technically challenged and still can use it with no problems.

No tips per say... just HAVE FUN!

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw