COMPLETE - Henry VI Part 1 - Shakespeare - ek

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Henry VI, Part 1 by William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/henry-vi-part-1-by-william-shakespeare/
(Summary by Algy Pug)[After the empty pagentry of Henry V, we watch the English continental empire disintegrate as a group of scheming and quarrelsome nobles begins to undermine the authority of Henry VI, the hapless priest-king. This is the first in a series of three plays which I am hoping to record as a composite project.
  1. Is there a deadline? 1 January 2011

We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is DD Month YYYY.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you’d like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/views/plays/playmenu.php?WorkID=henry6p1
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

==========================================

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)

BC - please provide *all of* the following:
    • Number of sections (roles) this project will have: 62
      Basset, of the Red Rose, or Lancaster, faction
      Bastard of Orleans
      Boy, son of the Master-Gunner
      Captain
      Charles, King of France, king of France
      Countess of Auvergne
      Duke of Alencon
      Duke of Bedford, Henry VI's uncle and Regent of France
      Duke of Burgundy
      Duke of Exeter, uncle to Henry IV, great-uncle to Henry V
      Duke of Gloucester, Henry VI's uncle and Lord Protector of England
      Duke/Earl of Somerset, John Beaufort
      Earl of Salisbury
      Earl of Suffolk, William de la Pole
      Earl of Warwick (Richard de Beauchamp, 13th Earl of Warwick)
      Edmund Mortimer, Earl of March
      First Gaoler
      First Sentinel
      First Serving-Man, Serving-Man 1
      First Soldier
      First Warder
      General, of the French forces in Bordeaux
      Henry VI
      Joan la Pucelle, commonly called Joan of Arc
      Lawyer
      Legate
      Lord Mayor of London
      Lord Talbot/Earl of Shrewsbury
      Master-Gunner, of Orleans
      Messenger
      Officer
      Porter
      Queen Margaret, daughter to Reignier, afterwards married to King Henry VI
      Reignier, duke of Anjou, and titular king of Naples
      Richard Plantagenet (Duke of Gloucester), becomes duke of York in Henry VI, Part
      Scout
      Second Sentinel
      Second Serving-Man , Serving-Man 2
      Second Warder
      Sentinels (Sentinels 1 and 2 together)
      Sergeant
      Servant
      Serving-Man 3
      Shepherd, father to Joan of Arc
      Sir William Glansdale
      Sir John Fastolfe
      Sir Thomas Gargrave
      Sir William Lucy
      Soldier
      Third Serving-Man
      Vernon, of the White Rose, or York, faction
      Watch
      Winchester, Henry Beaufort, great-uncle to Henry V, bishop of Winchster, and later cardinal
      Woodvile, lieutenant of the Tower

Narrator

Five Sections for Acts 1 to 5 (admin use only)

Here is a link on Googledocs for the lines for each role:
      https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1lzqv2BM7DlTkWe2eN0inFkwZgRxuP3yYDGxhK1epCz0&authkey=CK2QopkD&hl=en#

My plan is to record all three parts of Henry VI, keeping, if possible, the same readers for roles that occur in more than one play eg. Richard (later Duke of York) etc. The exception to this will be Henry VI - I would like separate voices to reflect him as a child in Part 1, idealistic youth in Part 2 and embittered holy man in Part 3.

• Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shakespeare
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_VI,_part_1
    • Short description (please state who wrote the description. This can be a paragraph copied from Wikipedia. If you write this yourself, please be aware that your summary will be in the PD): Henry VI, Part 1 or The First Part of Henry the Sixt (often written as 1 Henry VI) is a history play by William Shakespeare, believed to have been written in 1591, and set during the lifetime of King Henry VI of England. Whereas 2 Henry VI deals with the King's inability to quell the bickering of his nobles, and the inevitability of armed conflict, and 3 Henry VI deals with the horrors of that conflict, 1 Henry VI deals with the loss of England's French territories and the political machinations leading up to the Wars of the Roses, as the English political system is torn apart by personal squabbles and petty jealousy. (Wikipedia)
    • Date of first publication: 1623
    • Year of author's death: 1616
      ===========================================
    • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)

Bit Rate: 128 kbps

Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
    • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

[Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:

At the beginning: Act [#] of [Henry VI Part 1], by [William Shakespeare]. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#]. At the end of the play, add End of [Henry VI Part 1], by [William Shakespeare].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    • AFTER recording:

Save files as 128 kbps MP3 henryvipart1_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the act number.

ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)

Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread): http://upload.librivox.org

(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)

You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ek - gloriana
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by Algy Pug on August 15th, 2010, 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Algy Pug »

Henry VI Part 1 is posted.

I am claiming the role of the warlord Lord Talbot/Earl of Shrewsbury.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi

May I please claim the little role of the Lord Mayor of London?

Martin
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

I would love to read Joan, please!
Ernst Pattynama

Post by Ernst Pattynama »

I'd like to read the part of First Gaoler please. Thank you.
And good luck with the project!
Ernst
We are never so ridiculous for the qualities we have as for those we pretend to.
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I would be happy to MC this but can't put up the MW until naptime (2 PM CDT). I would love to read Margaret in all three parts unless you would like me to read another role.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Simce we are all jumping the gun, I would claim Vernon, of the White Rose please.
gloriana wrote:I would be happy to MC this but can't put up the MW until naptime

Clever MC, MWs in her sleep :twisted:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

May I have the Countess of Auvergne? :)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
markpenfold

Post by markpenfold »

I would like to claim the part of Richard Plantagenet, please!
m@rk p&nfold
lincoln, ne, usa
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

So thrilled that Librivox is doing this! I'm probably going to be writing my senior thesis on the War of the Roses plays, so this will be AWESOME!

Since Joan, Margaret and the Countess have already been claimed, I shall hold out hope for the Duchess of Gloucester in Part 2 or Lady Gray (later Queen Elizabeth) in Part 3. Too early to claim one of these now, though, yeah?
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

OK, finally all set up. (Sorry, naptime - my daughter's that is - didn't go quite as planned today.) Algy, could you update the first post to reflect the deadline you have chosen? And I've left the list of roles for you to enter into the magic window.

I'm excited that you're taking this on! I will happily MC all three parts.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

musicalheart1 wrote:So thrilled that Librivox is doing this! I'm probably going to be writing my senior thesis on the War of the Roses plays, so this will be AWESOME!

Since Joan, Margaret and the Countess have already been claimed, I shall hold out hope for the Duchess of Gloucester in Part 2 or Lady Gray (later Queen Elizabeth) in Part 3. Too early to claim one of these now, though, yeah?
Thank you - and it NOT too early to claim a role in Parts 2 & 3. I will put you down for both. And, so that you are not twiddling your thumbs while Part 1 is being recorded, how would you like to be DPL?

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Algy Pug »

gloriana wrote:OK, finally all set up. (Sorry, naptime - my daughter's that is - didn't go quite as planned today.) Algy, could you update the first post to reflect the deadline you have chosen? And I've left the list of roles for you to enter into the magic window.

I'm excited that you're taking this on! I will happily MC all three parts.
Thanks Gloriana!

In response to the rush of enthusiasm for the composite Henry project (which brings a warm glow to this crusty heart of mine) I am going to post Parts 3 and 3 as well. With this level of energy the entire project will be complered before we know it.

After that we can do Henry V (boring!)

Cheers

Algy
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Algy Pug »

markpenfold wrote:I would like to claim the part of Richard Plantagenet, please!
Thank you Mark!

I'm sure you will do justice to the role of this curmudgeonly sod - not even happy when he gets what he wants.

Cheers

Algy
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Algy Pug »

MARTIN GEESON wrote:Hi

May I please claim the little role of the Lord Mayor of London?

Martin
Thank you Your Honour - the heavy chain of office is yours.

Cheers

Algy
Algy Pug

My Librivox page