COMPLETE - An Arthurian Miscellany - SW/ad

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

This audiobook is now complete and available to download from the catalogue page:-
http://librivox.org/an-arthurian-miscellany/

[CLOSED!] Arthurian Collection 001: Poems and Tales Sign Up Sheet

LISTENER's WANTED Thread:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7861

Each collection will contain 10 works.
Recordings are due as soon as you can get them in.
The first 10 in are the 10 for that collection.

(thanks for the photo kristin)

Interested in King Arthur and the Round table? Want to help gather an un-prescribed
number of Arthurian poems and tales from different eras in British literature?
Maybe you have a favorite an Arthurian poem or tale youve always wanted to do!

SPECIAL RULES
This collection is a sort of hunt-for-your-own version of an Arthurian poem, short legend, a chapter or two from a book (that can stand on its own) or other such text. Anything related to King Arthur, the Round Table, Merlin, or any other persons of Arthur's time period (even if Arthur is not specifically in the poem/tale) would be appropriate. (A larger work that is a complete book in itself, should be posted as such under either Readers Wanted: Books or Going Solo.)
  • Suggetions: The Arthurian collection does not offer a definitive list of select works. But, if you cant come up with something, look in the second post below for suggestions. They are all in the public domain.
  • Finding your own: It might take a little work on your part to find something. Search in the usual reliable sources: Gutenberg, Bartleby, or Poets' Corner. There are others. Or do a little search on your own. Just locate a reliable source and be sure to provide it when you sign up.
  • Caveat: Anything Arthurian, yes, but, for a particular collection, if someones already selected a poem, please choose to contribute something different for this collection. Feel free to contribute your own version of that same work in another Arthurian collection. Check the sign-up list at the bottom of this post.

New at This? Want a Refresher? Looking for Fresh Insights? Special Request
    Please give your sound file a final full listen before sending. It might be good to listen to it a day or so after you feel it's done, to gain a fresh perspective. As these are "longish" poems, it would be very helpful if you could check for long gaps (silences), missing groups of words/stanzas, and/or an over-abundance of what you might feel to be "technical dificulties." Please feel free to PM the coordinator at any time for help, or with/for suggestions (only if you ask), or a sympathetic ear. The project coordinator is always available.

1. Find a Poem and Check Its Sources
    As usual, you may choose any poem in the public domain, as long as its subject is King Arthur.
    Please help by providing information on the source of the poem when you initially post what you wish to read.
    (Read about this later under Posting Your Link and Citation.)
    Keep these links at hand, as all submissions must cite their sources.
    • Bartleby is an excellent resource for public-domain poetry: Bartleby
    • Another good source is Poets' Corner
    • Guttenberg.org is the mother lode. Browse through a poet's books there: Gutenberg.org
    2. Make the Recording
    If you'd like help on improving your recordings, Read This.
    Please follow this simple outline:
    1. At the very start of the recording, leave 3-4 seconds of silence.
    2. Read: "This is a Librivox recording.
      All Librivox Recordings are in the public domain.
      For more information and to find out how you can
      volunteer, please visit Librivox.org."
    3. Read: "Recording by [your name]."
      If you'd like, add the recording date, your locale, and your personal blog/url.
    4. Read: "[Title], by [author]
    5. Leave 4-5 seconds of silence
    6. Begin reading your selection and keep going...
    7. At the end of your reading leave 3-5 seconds of silence
    8. Read: "End of poem/story/tale. This recording is in the public domain."
    9. Leave 7-8 seconds or so of silence at the end.
    10. Go on to editing/preparing your sound file for upload
    3. Prepare the Sound File Before You Upload It
    If you're looking for free cross platform software that records and edits, Audacity may be for you.
    If you'd like personal help with anything, post questions here or on the Need Help? Get Advice Forum
    1. Set your recording software for these specs: Bit Rate: 128 kbps and Sample Rate: 44100 kHzs
    2. Set the ID3 tags like this:
      Title: Poem Title/Story/Tale (e.g. Merlin's Song)
      Artist: Author Name (e.g. Ralph Waldo Emerson)
      Album: Athurian Poems and Tales
      Genre: Speech
      Comments: (Optional) You can put "Recorded by [your name]" here if you wish.
    3. Check to be certain that you are about to save the file as an MP3
    4. Save the file in all lower case using this specific filename format:
      [poem's title]_[author's last name]_[your initials].mp3
      (e.g. merlins_songs_emerson_xyz.mp3)
    4. Post Your Link and Citation in this forum

What To Do With Your Completed Recording and Citation Info
    • Either post a personal link to your completed files here in the thread... or
    • My prefered upload option is detailed here: READ THIS. Here you upload (FTP) files directly to me.
    • Another upload option is to simply log on to: librivox.kayray.org using the password: vox.
      Your contribution will be moved and deleted from here once your sound files are reviewed.
    • A final and often disappointing way to transfer files is to email your sound files via youSENDit to:
      cloudmountain AT gmail DOT com. You can visit youSENDit HERE. Sending large files this way can be problematic.
    • Whatever method you use for uploading your sound files, please
      post the retrieval link in this thread together with your citation.
    • Be certain to include precise link to the source of the poem so
      the poem's public domain status can be checked.
      (Gutenberg, Bartleby, Poets' Corner...)

When you post your link (especially for the first time) please also include the following information
    :
    • Your name as you would like it credited on the catalog page
    • Any URL you want your name linked to (only if your information is not yet in the LV wiki) Check Your Status Here!.
    • And please keep in mind the Special Request at the top of this post. Thanks.

..........Title/Source • Author • LV Reader • Forthcoming/Complete
    1. Morte d'Arthur • Alfred, Lord Tennyson • Cloud Mountain • Complete
    2. The Lady of Shalott (1833 version) Alfred, Lord Tennyson • kristin • Complete
    3. The Lady of Shalott (1843 version) Alfred, Lord Tennyson • Caeristhiona • Complete
    4. Sir Launcelot and Queen Guinevere - A Fragment • Alfred, Lord Tennyson • kristin • Complete
    5. The Day Before the Trial • Algernon Charles Swinburne • kristin • Complete
    6. Guenevere • Sara Teasdale • Starlite • Complete
    7. Arthur, from The Age of Chivalry, King Arthur and His Knights, Chap. 4 & 5 • Thomas Bulfinch • shortcircuit • Forthcoming
    8. The Sangreal, from The Age of Chivalry, King Arthur and His Knights, Chap. 9-11 • Thomas Bulfinch • Sandra • Complete
    9. Merlin, from The Age of Chivalry, King Arthur and His Knights, Chap. 3 • Thomas Bulfinch • Sayeth • Forthcoming
    10. Dedication of the Idylls • Alfred, Lord Tennyson • findingcamelot • Complete
    11. Lancelot and Elaine • Alfred, Lord Tennyson • findingcamelot • Forthcoming
    12. Guinevere • Alfred, Lord Tennyson • findingcamelot • Complete
    13. Merlin and Vivien • Alfred, Lord Tennyson • kaffen • Complete

(Admin link)
Last edited by Cloud Mountain on April 18th, 2007, 6:09 pm, edited 42 times in total.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

A few suggestions for things to read...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Arthur?s House (1870) ? William Morris
Gawayne?s Ghost (1859) ? Robert Buchanan
Arthur J. Blaikie (1884) Arthur in Avalon
Camlan (1859) ? Robert Buchanan

Dedication to Idyls of the King (Idyls of the King) ? Tennyson
The Coming of Arthur (IotK) ? Tennyson
Gareth and Lynette (IotK) ? Tennyson
The Marriage of Geraint (IotK) ? Tennyson
Geraint and Enid (IotK) ? Tennyson
Balin and Balan (IotK) ? Tennyson
Merlin and Vivien (IotK) ? Tennyson
Lancelot and Elaine (IotK) ? Tennyson
The Holy Grail (IotK) ? Tennyson
Pelleas and Ettarre (IotK) ? Tennyson
The Last Tournament (IotK) ? Tennyson
Guinevere (IotK) ? Tennyson
The Lady of Shalott (Two versions 1833 & 1842) ? Tennyson (One version claimed)
Sir Launcelot and Queen Guinevere A Fragment (1842) ? Tennyson
Sir Galahad (1834) ? Tennyson
Morte D'Arthur ? Tennyson (Already claimed)
Merlin and the Gleam (1889) ? Tennyson

Sir Tray: An Athurian Idyl (1873) ? General Edward Hamley
The Last Meeting of Lancelot and Guinevere (1862) ? William Fulford
The Vision of the Holy Grail (1905) ? Eugene Field
The Eve of Morte Authur (1875) ? Sebastian Evans
Arthur?s Kniting (1875) ? Sebastian Evans
Merlin I (1846) ? Ralph Waldo Emerson
Merlin II (1846) ? Ralph Waldo Emerson
Merlin?s Song (1846) ? Ralph Waldo Emerson
Merlin?s Last Prophecy (1838) ? George Darley
Camelot (1919) ? Benjamin Gilbery Brooks
Guenevere (1911) ? Sara Teasdale (Already claimed)
Galahad in the Castle of the Maidens (1911) ? Sara Teasdale
Also check the Welsh tales
Look for a PD translation of of the four Athurian romances of Chr?tien, de Troyes
You might also look into what Algernon Charles Swinburne has done

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might also check here: http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/mainmenu.htm. (Thanks Sayeth)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is the King Arthur and His Knights section of Thomas Bulfinch's The Age of Chivalry that may interest you. Be certain to give all information both in your citation and your intro for the section you choose. Contact Cloud Mountain if you're not certain how to phrase it. Something like "Chapters IV and V from the King Arthur and His Knights section of Thomas Bulfinch's The Age of Chivalry" Here's the Gutenberg link
http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext04/thgfc10.txt (Thanks shortcircuit.)

KING ARTHUR AND HIS KNIGHTS

I. Introduction
II. The Mythical History of England
III. Merlin
IV. Arthur (Already claimed)
V. Arthur (Continued) (Already claimed)
VI. Sir Gawain
VII. Caradoc Briefbras; or, Caradoc with the Shrunken Arm
VIII. Launcelot of the Lake
IX. The Adventure of the Cart
X. The Lady of Shalott
XI. Queen Guenever's Peril
XII. Tristram and Isoude
XIII. Tristram and Isoude (Continued)
XIV. Sir Tristram's Battle with Sir Launcelot
XV. The Round Table
XVI. Sir Palamedes
XVII. Sir Tristram
XVIII. Perceval
XIX. The Sangreal, or Holy Graal
XX. The Sangreal (Continued)
XXI. The Sangreal (Continued)
XXII. Sir Agrivain's Treason
XXIII. Morte d'Arthur

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And these poems An Arthurian Miscellany:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/arthur/index.htm (Thanks kristin.)

We'll have to be careful and be certain each of these is provable before including it.

If you have more that you think someone might like to read,
please let me know by PM and I'll add them to the list of possibilities.

Thanks ?Alan
Last edited by Cloud Mountain on August 15th, 2006, 4:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
kristin

Post by kristin »

First thing, I want to do the Lady of Shalott. I've been wanting to do it for some time but I keep telling myself there are already catalogued versions of it, do something else. But this is different right? Other than that, I think I'll just go down the list and read or reread some of these and decide which of the others I'm interested in.
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

kristin wrote:First thing, I want to do the Lady of Shalott. I've been wanting to do it for some time but I keep telling myself there are already catalogued versions of it, do something else. But this is different right? Other than that, I think I'll just go down the list and read or reread some of these and decide which of the others I'm interested in.
Goody goody. When you decide, please just include the source and which version, okay? Meanwhile I'll add you to the list in completo to reserve the spot. Thanks Kristin.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

How cool is this? Love all things Arthurian. Well, not all, but many. I'll contribute something when I've done my other twenty-odd things... in the meantime, can't wait to hear your Morte D'Arthur.

BTW, fabulous first post! Love the layout. :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Gesine wrote:How cool is this? Love all things Arthurian. Well, not all, but many. I'll contribute something when I've done my other twenty-odd things... in the meantime, can't wait to hear your Morte D'Arthur.

BTW, fabulous first post! Love the layout. :)
Thanks for the good words. Very much looking forward to hearing what you come up with after you finsih with what must be much more than 20-odd things.) But fear not, this will probably open for a very long time. But maybe you'd like to put in a reservation sooner than later.

As for the Morte d'Arthur, you need only click on the blue link on the top post. Enjoy.
shortcircuit

Post by shortcircuit »

I'm not sure if what I want to read is acceptable for this collection. But I have back up plans in case it's not :)

Would an excerpt from Bulfinch's Age of Chivalry be okay? There are two chapters on Arthur that sound particularly interesting. The link is here: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext04/thgfc10.txt and the two chapters are 4 and 5.
- Maria
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

shortcircuit wrote:I'm not sure if what I want to read is acceptable for this collection. But I have back up plans in case it's not :)

Would an excerpt from Bulfinch's Age of Chivalry be okay? There are two chapters on Arthur that sound particularly interesting. The link is here: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext04/thgfc10.txt and the two chapters are 4 and 5.
This is excellent SC. I added your suggestion to the second post. Please look at it for at least a beginning suggestion on how to handle this. More later if you need it.

As for "back up plans," remember that you can contribute more than one thing!

Please reserve something as soon as you can. --A
kristin

Post by kristin »

Here's another source:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/eng/index.htm

It's toward the bottom of the page.

I've seen sacred texts used as a source for other projects so I think it's alright. Might want to check with someone more senior to be sure though.
shortcircuit

Post by shortcircuit »

In that case...

I'll reserve Chapters 4 & 5 (Arthur and Arthur, cont.) from the Age of Chivalry.
- Maria
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Ok, Since I LOVE King Arthur, I will give a try at Guenevere (1911) ? Sara Teasdale. :oops: I think I will practise it out loud a few times first though. :P
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Starlite wrote:Ok, Since I LOVE King Arthur, I will give a try at Guenevere (1911) ? Sara Teasdale. :oops: I think I will practise it out loud a few times first though. :P
This isn't "Danse Russe"
shortcircuit wrote:In that case...

I'll reserve Chapters 4 & 5 (Arthur and Arthur, cont.) from the Age of Chivalry.
Ok SC & SL, You're now on the list on the list. (Did I say on the list?) Please remember to give me the proof links when you upload the files. Welcome aboard, good luck and thanks much. --A
Last edited by Cloud Mountain on August 15th, 2006, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kristin

Post by kristin »

I'd also like to do THE DAY BEFORE THE TRIAL by ALGERNON CHARLES SWINBURNE, if that meets with your approval.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/arthur/art164.htm

Would you like both Lady's of Shalott? Or is one enough? Or perhaps we could pitch one in Long poems if you only want one here. Can't help self must do both.... rambling.... sorry..... :D

EDIT: Oh, yes, Sir Launcelot and Queen Guinevere A Fragment (1842) ? Tennyson, as well please. :wink:
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

kristin wrote:I'd also like to do THE DAY BEFORE THE TRIAL by ALGERNON CHARLES SWINBURNE, if that meets with your approval: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/arthur/art164.htm

Would you like both Lady's of Shalott? Or is one enough? Or perhaps we could pitch one in Long poems if you only want one here. Can't help self must do both.... rambling.... sorry..... :D

EDIT: Oh, yes, Sir Launcelot and Queen Guinevere A Fragment (1842) ? Tennyson, as well please. :wink:
Kristin... These have been added to the flow chart. How's about selecting one of the versions to call your own and we'll put it side-by-side with the other version in a different voice (if someone chooses it); in this way we'll have simultaneous contrasts on textual, auditory, and interpretive levels. (Now we're really getting deep!) Thanks for expanding the view. Yes. ?A.

Oh yes, about the Long Poems Collection. It would be nice to avoid adding an Arthurian ditty there, so as not to blur the lines. Interesting you should mention this though, for it is the Morte d'Arthur piece that spawned both the Long Poems Collection and this one. We couldn't quite figure what to do with longer poems and so created a long poem collection. Then we elected to go with both for the Morte d'Arthur at least. Hope this doesn't over explain and confuse you more. Select one of the two versions and let me know which. Ummm.

(My edits are almost always spelling or grammar corrections. An English teacher's cross.)

Last edited by Cloud Mountain on August 15th, 2006, 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shortcircuit

Post by shortcircuit »

I was wondering: should I record the two chapters as one file or as two?
- Maria