I'm new!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
John_AB

Post by John_AB »

Hi Everybody -

Just found out about this site today, and think it looks like great fun. I hope to volunteer with some reading.

- John AB
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Glad you found us!

Check out our wiki (linked to at the top of this page). It's got some useful stuff, esp. the Newbie Guide to Recording, if you've not done this sort of thing before.

Looking forward to hearing your voice!

-Catharine
KATWAL

Post by KATWAL »

Welcome John,

Where are you from? How did you come across LV?

Kathy
Laura

Post by Laura »

Hey, welcome to LibriVox, hope you have fun here!!
*//Laura http://www.librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/LauraD
John_AB

Post by John_AB »

Thanks. I'll check out the wiki and see what I need to do.

I come from Boston, and I was surfing the web and came across the site. So that's my story, as far as this goes.
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Oo, where in Boston?

-Catharine, who grew up (mostly) in Belmont
John_AB

Post by John_AB »

I've lived in different places over the years, at the moment I live in Boston itself, near the library.
John_AB

Post by John_AB »

Actually I have a question. What's the protocol for claiming chapters or other works? Should I just reply in a thread to claim it, or should I record it first and then just link the result?

I assume you're supposed to claim it and then post the file when you're done, but it looks like in some cases people just post the link right off the bat.
MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie »

John_AB wrote:Actually I have a question. What's the protocol for claiming chapters or other works? Should I just reply in a thread to claim it, or should I record it first and then just link the result?

I assume you're supposed to claim it and then post the file when you're done, but it looks like in some cases people just post the link right off the bat.
That kind of depends on the project. In some "open" projects (short story and short poetry collections most notably,) you don't have to "claim" anything, you can just submit the reading when you're done.

But for the majority of projects (like if it's a collaborative book project and you want to claim a chapter,) you really should claim the chapter/section first before recording. Because in some cases, someone may have already claimed the part (even if it's not yet updated in the first post--it's always a good idea to read the last few replies in the thread to see if something has been claimed that the coordinator hasn't got around to updating in the first post.)

Hope that answers your question :D
oh, and by the way, Welcome to Librivox, too :)
[color=green]"Elphaba, where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true...we call it 'history'. "[/color]

[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/MermaidMaddie][color=purple]MermaidMaddie's Wiki Page[/color][/url]