introduction from Calgary

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
phflaw

Post by phflaw »

Hello,

My name is phflaw, from Calgary, Canada. The Calgary Stampeders just pulled off an amazing last second win last night against the previously undefeated Montreal team in football action.

Sorry about that. Just trying to make an euphoric moment last longer.

Heard about this site while listening to a radio program months ago. Don't know why waited until today...but today it popped in my mind again while sprinkling flaxseed on my yogurt. Yes, looking for that boost and explosiveness.

I studied both psychology and English lit in university. I salivate at the thought of immersing myself in stories with a psychological component and theme - really like that 'Sons and Lovers' by D.H. Lawrence. Is that on this site? If you have any other recommendations, please let me know, preferably of material accessible on this site. I would love to hear it, read it, and in the future participate in recording. What a great idea this site is!

Right now I'm in the middle of a career change....and studying Library Information Science and Technology, with the eventual goal of becoming a librarian.

I've done English teaching overseas (in Asia) and currently still do some part-time tutoring here in Calgary, mostly with nurses who want to upgrade their English so they can become registered nurses here in Canada. I also have tandem language learning experiences with many Koreans - that is, I help them with English while they help me with my Korean (believe me, I need a lot more help...arghhh...). Yes, I've taken a great interest in learning the Korean language and am very curious at how language activities can be done using the tools and tech of computers and internet.

In our tandem learning, as an activity, we often record our speaking using MP3 as a way to practice the target language and also receive feedback orally. (We often take jokes or proverbs or short stories in our first language, and try to put our own interpretation on it and present it in our target language)

I think this is a great site to practice both our speaking and listening and learn about stories from different cultures. This is my first visit, so I haven't browsed through the site yet, but does it have stories from Korea? From various countries? I think I'm going to recommend this site to some of my Korean students so they can share some of their favorite Korean stories online....it's also a good way for me to add to my Korean learning as well.... What do you think?

Look forward to contributing and meeting many of you in the months ahead.

Time to go explore this site a bit....
Thanks for listening...

-patrick

(By the way, what is the poll option? I'm just going to type in a question to see what it does......does it need to be yes/no type question....forced choice question? Can I type an open ended question?)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Hi Patrick. I'm Canadian too :) We have volunteers from all over the world and have recordings in many different languages but i _don't_ think we have Korean. (unless Earthcalling managed to get someone to do the multililngual "Declaration of Independace")

There are ongoing foreign language projects scattered within the forum topics.

The Consolation of Philosophy and Dream Psychology might interest you. It can be daunting to sift through everything so if you have any questions, Just ask!
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Hi Patrick,

Great to have you here!

We haven't got any Korean as yet, but it would be great to have some. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Korean would be a wonderful start, but from bitter personal experience trying to read this in Chinese, I appreciate that it's not a very easy text! Here's the project link: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2595

And of course, why not round up some of your students to do readings? That would be fun!

As you mention language learning and computers, let me plug this... :D

http://www.earthcallingdavid.com/page5/page5.html

David
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Welcome!

The poll option is infrequently used. I've seen it used to determine popularity of various vacation spots (therefore the answers are editable by the creator) and to determine whether the current collaboration of Pirates of Penzance should be sung or not. Most people don't use it.

Nice to have you here, I look forward to hearing your voice!

-Catharine
kayray

Post by kayray »

phflaw wrote:...but today it popped in my mind again while sprinkling flaxseed on my yogurt.
My favorite snack: lemon yogurt with two huge spoonfuls of flax seed meal mixed in. Yum!

Welcome to LibriVox!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)