gutenberg - news

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

I have a call scheduled with Project Gutenberg www.gutenberg.org early jan, but in the mean time, good news, see:
http://www.gutenberg.org/audio

text:
Project Gutenberg makes audio eBooks available for some of the same great literature available in plain text. Thanks to Mike Eschman for most computer-generated eBooks, to AudioBooksForFree.com for our Arthur Conan Doyle series of human readings, and to LiteralSystems.org for work on new readings by volunteers. We are also working with Librivox, with a similar effort to get people volunteering to read. Please consider joining them!

Our listings are divided into two categories. We are still adding new audio eBooks read by people, primarily through work by LiteralSystems.org and Librivox. However, we have stopped adding computer-generated eBooks. Instead, we are working on methods to automatically make computer-generated eBooks on demand (that is, by choosing options, then getting the file within a short time).
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Great news. It will be interesting to see what else you can work out with them.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

any suggestions? they don't have money.

I can think of 3 things offhand:
1. links from their catalog to us
2. help with dealing with legal stuff around what books are/are not copyright.
3. publicizing us in newsletters etc.

any other ideas?

hugh.
pberinstein

Post by pberinstein »

hugh wrote:any suggestions? they don't have money.

I can think of 3 things offhand:
1. links from their catalog to us
2. help with dealing with legal stuff around what books are/are not copyright.
3. publicizing us in newsletters etc.

any other ideas?

hugh.
I'm confused. Seems like things are going along great. Is there a problem I'm missing? (I don't much care for the idea of computer-generated audio books in the first place, so I don't think I'd miss them.)
Paula B
The Writing Show, where writing is always the story
http://www.writingshow.com
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

no no, no problem. just trying to establish an "official" link with gutenberg. they will link to our files from their catalog pages. that's about all, except help in tricky copyright issues.

all is well paula! just trying to strengthen our relationships.
pberinstein

Post by pberinstein »

hugh wrote:no no, no problem. just trying to establish an "official" link with gutenberg. they will link to our files from their catalog pages. that's about all, except help in tricky copyright issues.

all is well paula! just trying to strengthen our relationships.
Oh, okay. Now I get it.

Well, how about holding a joint event of some kind. Some co-branding. Virtual, of course.
Paula B
pberinstein

Post by pberinstein »

How about this: a celebration of the books and other works entering the public domain in 2006? Some kind of joint initiation to welcome them to the PD. They add them to their archive, and we record them.
Paula B
Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve »

pberinstein wrote:How about this: a celebration of the books and other works entering the public domain in 2006? Some kind of joint initiation to welcome them to the PD. They add them to their archive, and we record them.

A great idea. Except no new books will enter the public Domain in 2006, in fact nothing will until 2020? Blame Disney and their desire to keep their grip on Mickey and Cinderella. Others to blame as well... Sonny Bono among them.

It?s alright though ? there is PLENTY of work to be done before 2020.

I would like to record ?The Great Gadspy? though. Grrrr...