Now for a cold and heartless review of our work here at LV

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

learnoutloud has a set of reivews of some of the work here at librivox...

be warned, the reviewer is clearly judging librivox with professional quality standards. His ranking is so heartlessly "objective" that it even shakes me up.

http://www.learnoutloud.com/content/blog/archives/2006/07/guide_to_libriv.html
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Notice how there is no option to make comments in reply to these reviews? ... I would like to tell this reviewer to put his money where his mouth is and come do some recording of his own before he says another word about our valuable volunteers... what a [insert your favorite derogatory term here]! ... and I haven't even gotten to any review he may have made of my recordings yet!
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Eh.
Appears to be lacking a lovely community himself.
So isn't accustomed to receive generosity generously.
And is simply . . . er, of a different opinion than me on some matters. (See, I didn't say *wrong* -- I am not lacking a lovely community :) )
Could use a copyedit in his intro. ;)
Use of "we" always kills me when an individual is simply speaking for himself. And yet, one of my dearest friends does that. What is it with that? Hmm.
As bad press goes, this is pretty good, and leads folks to recordings they will undoubtedly appreciate better than he is able.

Anita
happy to be still under the radar
and for the moment remaining her own worst critic
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

I think he's done a fine job ?very thorough and detailed. Short 'n' sweet.
In LOLDave's closing paragraph he wrote:So that's our LibriVox guide for now. We'll continue to update it as more projects are completed and we listen to more of their collaborative works. What an amazing resource!
"What an amazing resource." He obviously likes LibriVox.
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Yup we discussed this a couple weeks ago after we went off topic in another thread, see here: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2570

I had a minor crisis of faith in myself but got over it pretty quickly. :D I'm not going to place much stock in the opinion of a guy whose review of sonnets consists primarily of describing them as "really short." :roll:
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Fact of the matter is that anyone this fellow wasn't so keen on, weren't reading to or for him: you were reading for the other billion people like me who will hear and love your work :) :) :)

I think the writer of those reviews shows great skill in putting together brief synopses in the English language (whether or not they represent the right picture), and he also shows brilliant potential in coming to one day understand and appreciate the mission of LibriVox :wink:
Last edited by opheliad on August 13th, 2006, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
kayray

Post by kayray »

opheliad wrote:Fact of the matter is that anyone this fellow wasn't so keen on, weren't reading to or for him: you were reading for the other billion people like me who will hear and love your work :) :) :)
That's a perfect way to think about it! :) :) :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

On the positive side, take a look at the whole site. It's quite neatly put together, and the LV recordings sit well with items from other sources to buy or download. He uses our logo, credits LV everywhere, highlights that they're free to download, and has links to the LV site. You can search by author, reader (yes, LV reader), category etc. On the 'product' pages themselves, there is room to review the recordings. His own review do not feature here - they're parked off on that byway somewhere.

To review a product on its product page, it looks like you just need to log in and away you go.

David
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Ah. The larger picture; perspective; context. Hmm. Well done.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

remember that we are DIFFERENT than what most people are used to hearing. except for some pros (chip, gord, ndoo et al) we are mostly amateurs, (from latin, amatorem, "lover") ... and so our recordings sound exactly like what they are: the recordings of non-professionals who love what they are doing. but that's a GOOD thing.

Jon Udell is one of my favourite IT bloggers, here is what he has to say, let this cheer you up a little. he gets it exactly right (i think):
I realized that part of what I cherish is that these recordings aren't commercial products. They're pure expressions of a love of literature, and a desire to share that love.
(emphasis mine).

full post:
http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2006/08/06.html#a1500

h.
kri

Post by kri »

And don't they say....any publicity is good publicity? Hopefully people will read the review, and visit the website to decide for themselves.
BradBush

Post by BradBush »

See here for the thread discussion on Learn Out Loud Forum. They really are fans it seems:
http://www.learnoutloud.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605&goto=nextoldest

I was pleasently surprised he didn't hate me ;-) He seems to really place a premium on the audio quality.

Brad
MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie »

The thing that make me roll my eyes are his comments to the effect that a reading sounds "amateur." :roll: Well, yeah, that's what we (at least, most of us) are. LOL.
[color=green]"Elphaba, where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true...we call it 'history'. "[/color]

[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/MermaidMaddie][color=purple]MermaidMaddie's Wiki Page[/color][/url]
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

heh... and I'm just "average" .. which is pretty darn cool for it being my first recording *rotflmao*
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

forgive this rude interuption, but I just lisened to the anaversery special, and I must say, it kicks ass!

congradulations and

happy birthday librivox.

Ps. Who cares what Mr. "objective" has to say about us?