The Libritzer

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
johngon

Post by johngon »

Using the anniversary thread and Cloud Mountain's comment as a jumping off point - what is the interest level toward some kind of award program for the recordings? I completely understand about the accept all recordings mission of Librivox, but it might be nice to have something for people so inclined to strive towards.

Best Reading -- would take not only vocal quality into account, but also interpretation, etc.
Most Improved
Best Editing
Best Ensemble
Best Blooper

This is just off the top of my head.

Also not sure if the voting would be open to the public or only for the Librivox contributers.

Thoughts?
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

I am all for this IF and only if we can have 10-way-ties in each category.

In fact, maybe the top ten in each would be alphabetically or randomly listed.

Maybe bi-monthly we could have two weeks of secret voting, in which folks PM a designated vote-counter and then the top ten in each category are spotlighted in a lovely ceremony involving natural lighting and fine catering. Mmmm!

Whaddayathink? Sound LibriVoxan yet?
Anita the meddler

also Best Innovation (e.g., Buzz & Hmmmm and Featured This Week)
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Librivoxian

I like Anita's idea.

Incidentally. All of this random stuff all over the place drives me crazy. I often don't know what's going on and what's where and there seem to me similar threads.

E.g., Where is the Humm Buzz and Pop! thread!

(I would appreciate anyone with the initials a.r.d. not making comments.)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Cloud Mountain wrote:
E.g., Where is the Humm Buzz and Pop! thread!

here it is!
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Makes me a bit nervous... since I wouldn't ever expect to get an award for good quality... but as long as I can have an award for the most annoying whistling S then I suppose it's ok if everyone else gets commended for their good recordings =)

...and how about awards for people doing stuff behind-the-scenes too?
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

oooh cool -- and examples must be supplied!! that goes without saying, so it had better be stated loud and clear! BetSSSSie, got a SSSampler for uSSS?
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

a.r.dobbs wrote:oooh cool -- and examples must be supplied!! that goes without saying, so it had better be stated loud and clear! BetSSSSie, got a SSSampler for uSSS?
I think it's fair to say that any of my recordings could be consulted for this... but I recently noticed it especially in my reading of The Legend of the Bleeding-Heart in the 4th Story Collection: http://librivox.org/short-story-collection-004/
~ Betsie
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Another Category... Top 10 Valuable Proof-Listeners =)
~ Betsie
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

I love the Proof-Listener suggestion!

-Catharine
tina

Post by tina »

How about some 'Worsts'?

'Worst bedtime stories' (The Brother's Grimm! Nightmares about the kid being chopped up and made into pudding! Image

'Worst book to listen to when you're homesick' (Heidi) :cry:

'Worst distraction when you are trying to study for your insurance exams' (Um... the whole forum?) Image
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/TinaTilney/]Tina's Wiki Page[/url] | I can receive files by [url=http://www.pando.com/]pando.com[/url]
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Back in February, right before Academy Awards, I recall putting together a very elaborate posting about categories for LV awards.

By the time I finished, it was late at night, so I waited till morning to edit it. In the light of day, after a good night's sleep, the idea of awards didn't square with my gut feeling about LV, so I deleted the draft post.

I give this project a good portion of my available free time. It responds to a whole range of interests and personal expression needs. As a teacher educator, LV offers a really exciting resource for student readers and listeners. As a reader, my favorite role, voicings offer me an outlet for dramatic characterizations that take me back to my college theater days.

This medium is so new as to allow for creativity and innovation; practically every day there are new paths being forged in some corner of LV. Personal example: it was such fun stumbling upon the idea of duets, or partner recording, and to have found a fine and constant collaborator in Sandra to explore it fully.

As a "producer," I have reallly enjoyed putting time and energy into organizing unusual projects, as for example, Chopin's Awakening or Cleland's Fanny Hill, and watch them unfold and have special meaning for the readers.

I wonder what categories would capture these experiences I just mentioned? Truth is, I enjoy being a drone here, I like the hum of this hive. I get an instant award everytime I post a recording ... the brass band playing in my mind is the fanfare I enjoy.

-denny
LenLen

Post by LenLen »

:shock:
Last edited by LenLen on August 12th, 2006, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tina

Post by tina »

What about simple numbers?

Such as who recorded or proof-listened the most chapters in a particular month?
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/TinaTilney/]Tina's Wiki Page[/url] | I can receive files by [url=http://www.pando.com/]pando.com[/url]
johngon

Post by johngon »

One/Two of the rewards could be number driven, afaic.

Also - the awards as I see them would be entirely voluntary. Any given recorder would choose if they wanted their's considered - maybe a submission process? There are some that I've done that I wouldn't want considered - but I'm quite happy with Dorian Gray and with Reading Gaol...
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

johngon wrote:Also - the awards as I see them would be entirely voluntary.
Doesn't Wikipedia have some sort of award system that they use to acknowledge one another's efforts?... some of them are quite silly and fun... sort of like sneaking up and dropping an award on someone's wiki page just to "make their day" and show how much they are appreciated.

I'd rather see us not taking this award thing too seriously so as not to hurt anyone's feelings... so perhaps it could be a self nominated sort of thing... where we make up awards as we think of them...

Another little experience I would like to share (humor me while I slip into long-winded, nostalgia mode for a moment)... when I was a kid, we lived within walking distance of our public library... one summer they had a pet show where every pet won a prize.... I thought it was soooo cool that my dogs won awards for "Curliest Ears" (a springer spanial) and "Shortest Tail" (a german short-hair)... of course, the springer spanial should have gotten an award for stupidest dog... as soon as we got home, she ran across the street to see another dog, got hit by a car and killed... *sighs*
~ Betsie