World Cup

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

OK, our intrepid US team is about to play our English cousins. I only hope you don't beat up on us too badly. It's probably true that our best player wouldn't be able to sniff the roster of the Three Lions.

Actually, I do want the US to do well, but I also root for England (having that ancestry (Norman, Saxon and Welsh), and I want England to gel and get some confidence rolling, with all the controversy they've had. They, much more so than the US, have a shot at getting far in the Cup, so I will probably be happy either way today.

I have my USA shirt on, but my 3 Lions cap on. :D

Samanem
jedopi

Post by jedopi »

Seeing as Canada is not involved in the World Cup I can't route for them so... I'm routing for England. That is until Italy plays and then I'll have to back them up.
Chrisczech

Post by Chrisczech »

Can someone please remove those terrible swarms of bees in every stadium?
[url=http://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/]Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow[/url] / [url=http://librivox.org/the-triumphs-of-eugene-valmont-by-robert-barr]The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont[/url]
Cori

Post by Cori »

Oh, I think that's a hoot!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

It sounds like they are actually thinking of banning the God-awful horns or whatever they are:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ghUbctrzM88GqP_A_qJZppPbhjVw

I hope they do it before tomorrow morning!

BTW, I guess after what happened in the 40th minute, I have to amend my previous statement to say that there might be ONE player on the US team who could make the England squad...

Sorry, not trying to pick any fights or anything, I just hope both teams make it through.
jedopi

Post by jedopi »

Chrisczech wrote:Can someone please remove those terrible swarms of bees in every stadium?
I know what you mean - I can't stand the noise of those horns the fans keep blowing during every single game! It does sound just like a huge swarm of bees! I'm surprised that they haven't put a stop to it. :roll: Imagine how annoying it must be for the people watching the games live!

I can't wait until 2:30 today - GO ITALY!!! :clap:
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

Just watching my morning news show, it sounds like the officials running the tournament may try to ban the horns in the stadiums. But they are not just at the games. They are sold on every street for about $2.50 Canadian and they are blowing them in the streets all day and all night. The entire city must sound like a bee hive. And they are louder than a lawn mower. Could imagine being in the stadium, trying to watch the game, and hearing only these horns? It would be worse than a rock concert!

If anyone from Librivox has been to a game or is in one of the 9 cities where the games are taking place, could you give us a first hand account?

Personally, I am not a soccer fan. I am recording the games for a friend of mine, so I do watch a little bit of them, but I am far more interested in the crowd and what goes on besides the game.

Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
Chrisczech

Post by Chrisczech »

Hazel Pethig wrote:Just watching my morning news show, it sounds like the officials running the tournament may try to ban the horns in the stadiums. But they are not just at the games. They are sold on every street for about $2.50 Canadian and they are blowing them in the streets all day and all night. The entire city must sound like a bee hive. And they are louder than a lawn mower. Could imagine being in the stadium, trying to watch the game, and hearing only these horns? It would be worse than a rock concert!

That's right. Imagine trying to sleep through that!

If anyone from Librivox has been to a game or is in one of the 9 cities where the games are taking place, could you give us a first hand account?

I'd like to hear that too.

Personally, I am not a soccer fan. I am recording the games for a friend of mine.......

Where have I heard that excuse before? :D :D

Hazel
[url=http://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/]Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow[/url] / [url=http://librivox.org/the-triumphs-of-eugene-valmont-by-robert-barr]The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont[/url]
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

Honestly, I don't watch. The only sports I watch on TV are curling and the Tour d'France. I watch the Tour 'cause I can't resist watching two hundred fit young men sweating in skin tight shorts! :shock:

--Hazel Image Image
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

The first of my three teams (Mexico), has advanced to the second round! Arriba el tricolor! :)
Karen S.
CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon »

gypsygirl wrote:The first of my three teams (Mexico), has advanced to the second round! Arriba el tricolor! :)
Congrats. Now USA and UK have advanced as well. Are the Americans going to get a false offsides call in every game? I know it's not our national sport, but really...
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

What a game! I was in a big place with both games on huge tv's and lots of international people and the place was going nuts with all the hitting of posts and close calls. Never seen such passion among US fans!

Congrats to our much relieved English cousins on getting through!
peegee

Post by peegee »

Phew. Huge sighs of relief all around!

Can't wait for England v Germany on Sunday. Fantastic - but please no penalty shoot-out :)
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

So being French-German and living in Denmark, I only have the German team to cheer now...
Actually, I don't care at all about the world cup, we at LV should get the kind of money the soccer players are getting for running around like fools.
Plus the interest has decreased a lot since the players are not allowed to lift their shirt anymore. And Lilian Thuram is not in the team anymore :cry:
No, sorry, not my (world) cup of tea...
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Chrisczech

Post by Chrisczech »

It certainly can't compete with the last 2 innings of the final Yankees/Diamondbacks game for sheer tension.

I am, though, looking forward the punch-up, er sorry, game between Brazil and Portugal today!